As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You mean I could have done that this whole time?!

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Games and Technology
Videogames are so complicated these days. Every button on the controller has a function, sometimes two and if the player blinks during a tutorial, they might miss some vital scrap of information that could have made their gaming more complete. This thread is dedicated to all the times you glanced over info either from the manual or in-game but discovered on your own hours later. For all the times you pulled your hair in frustration because some important clue or gameplay feature or level detail remained hidden. For all the times when you finally figured out what the designer intended for you to do and you experience a grand Eureka! moment.

Alice: Madness Returns
Seeing as how I'm so pro at videogames, I decided to play this game on the most challenging setting when I rented it. I enjoy a good challenge but, man, this one was extremely tough. One errant attack by a standard enemy took off a quarter of Alice's life and the game frequently sent groups of three or more enemies at a time to surround her. Killing an enemy sometimes netted you a restorative rose petal but it was never enough and I was under the impression that life was only restored by collecting these petals or beating the Chapter. I slogged through it and made it to the final Chapter when I noticed that resting inside a Lilly flower slowly restores your life completely. WTF. These Lilly flowers are all over the game and I just assumed their presence meant an invisible secret was nearby. But, no, these covert carnations had TWO purposes and I missed out the whole game.

Hitman: Contracts
The third Hitman game. One level starts you off in the back of a refrigerated meat wagon that Agent 47 has commandeered. Agent 47 has knocked the butcher out cold and taken his clothes as a disguise to get into an exclusive night club. The catch is this butcher will wake up from unconsciousness after five or so minutes and start running around naked and screaming and blowing your cover entirely. Since killing the butcher seemed unprofessional, I always figured you were supposed to either kill your target inside the club in less than five minutes (very hard) or find a new disguise from some other staff member after you get inside (inconvenient). I played through and completed the level a dozen times because for fun but I eventually noticed a button on the outside of the meat wagon. No way. How did I not see this bright glowing button before? Pushing the button closed the mechanized doors on the back of the truck, sealing the unconscious butcher inside. No more time limit!

Fallout 3
Did you know your wrist-mounted Pip-Boy had a built-ion flashlight? I SURE DIDN'T! While the game was perfectly visible during the day, when night settled across the wasteland, it was far too dark to see. I had to either fiddle with the TV's contrast and brightness or find a safe place to rest. It wasn't until I was reading a FAQ for my second playthrough that I noticed the blurb, "If you're sneaking, be sure to turn your Pip-Boy's flashlight off or else enemies can see you." Flashlight? It turns out if you hold down the button that opens the Pip-Boy menu, you turn on a little flashlight instead. Now they tell me!

emnmnme on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Ah, the dumb Fallout 3 light. I attribute it mostly to Bethesda not knowing how to make a decent interface worth a goddamn. I suppose their rationale is that Back/Select/Tab opens the PipBoy. The light is on the PipBoy in-universe. Ergo, hold it down to turn on the light, makes sense! Except as far as the user is concerned, opening the player menu is a wholly distinct operation from the in-game light, so holding the menu button down to turn on a flashlight makes fuck-all of sense. But that's the very least of Bethesda's crimes against sensible UI.

I've playing through Dark Souls on the PC, which is filled with "oh, I could do that?" moments, but almost entirely due to its intention to obfuscate most things it can. I spent 20 tries to beat the second boss until I raged and looked up what's what, and found out the requirements to do summons (which the game, of course, never explains, or if it does I certainly wouldn't know where). First try after summoning an NPC, I beat that section without even healing. After that, looking up random bullshit in that game is something I no longer castigate myself for because I honestly don't care to stumble around and trial-and-error everything in that game anymore. I guess I'm just getting too old.

Design flaws like the Fallout example can be chalked up to, at least, oversight. When the game goes out of its way to confuse or leave you out of the dark, whether you enjoy it or call bullshit depends on your mindset, I think. In the case of DS, I'm about half-and-half.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I beat Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, without realizing the pistol had a thing that disables cameras. I had gotten through the entire game stealthily before a hallway where you HAD to use that.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    This doesn't really happen to me because I read manuals or pay attention during tutorials. /smug

When I hear about things like the people who didn't know you could run in Resident Evil 4 I just don't know what to say.

People like you are the reason why so many games have ridiculous MEGAMAN! MEGAMAN! tutorials, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

That fucking Carnival Night Zone barrel!

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    My grandfather recently got his first smart phone and he really enjoys it. He's a smart guy and hasn't had any problems using it and figuring everything out and he downloaded Angry Birds to play while at work. Every so often on the way home he'd talk about how he had gotten stuck on a particular level or whatever and how long it had taken him to beat it. A few weeks went by until one night he told me he had just figured out the birds had special powers.

He had already completed about half the game by then.

Afterwards he said, "No wonder everything was so damn hard, it's easy as pie now" and he proceeded to breeze through the rest of the game and Angry Birds Space in the next couple of weeks.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I kept dying at a certain part in wind waker only to finally realize Link jumps automatically when he gets to an edge. :?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I usually pick up most of the details as a game progresses, but even though I've never finished a game without catching most intricacies, sometimes something slips by and takes quite a bit of time for me to realise.

Like running up Moblin shields in Skyward Sword.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The worst I've seen is probably Sonic Unleashed with platform grabbing. The game tells you this really essential way to do it as a hint from the professor, I think randomly, if you bring back a souvenir. Which of course requires getting through a small amount of the game, because the professor doesn't even show up for like 3 nighttime levels. The in-game tutorial says to jump and wait for the lock-on to appear when jumping to a platform, press B/O, and you'll stretch your arms out to grab on. Yeah you could do that, but that's stupid and is going to get you killed because if you turn even slightly to correct yourself the lock-on will go away and you'll fall. What you actually want to do is just hold B/O as you jump. You'll automatically grab the platform the second the lock-on appears. Why this is a secret hint in a mechanic you'll never use unless you want achievements/trophies is beyond me.

Gilder on
  • Options
    In Gears of War 3, I didn't know you could just toss grenades from cover without aiming. Every grenade in that series is tied to a chain which your beefy character spins to gain momentum and eventually toss. It never occurred to me this wind-up was unnecessary and you could just chuck one over your shoulder without aiming. At some point I accidentally hit the button for grenades but I was playing the whole game assuming you had to leave cover to toss a grenade.

... what's the point of putting grenades on chains? Your design choice confused me, Epic!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    While these situations have occurred to me countless times, I cannot for the life of me remember any of them now.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Oh, here's a good one - I beat Snake Eater without sneaking. I borrowed the game and my cousin's PS2 so I didn't have access to the manual. It turns out that MGS3 did things a little differently from other sneaking games. The left analog stick made Snake move normally - depending how hard you pushed it, you'd run, walk, or tiptoe. The DIRECTIONAL PAD, however, made Snake hunch over and sneak. Even if you tiptoed behind a guard, if you didn't use the d-pad, he would hear you. Confused and frustrated, I spent the whole game crawling on my belly like a worm to do the sneaking bits.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I beat the last boss in Skyward Sword without using the Skyward Slash...

Now, I did know how to Skyward Slash, but I missread one of the hints Fi gave in that fight and thought you couldn't for the final battle.

Instead, I shield parried through the final baddie's entire attack sequence for the 1-2 hit vulnerabity the boss happens to have at the end. I had to do this many, many times.

It was only until I saw a video of it later that I realised it was just that it's animation/effects changed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I feel this way whenever my brother-in-law convinces me to play Madden with him. He handily beats me for 3 quarters before I realize some basic mechanic that lets me actually get a first down.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Dark Souls. Both PC AND PS3 versions.
    So I got the game on the PS3 and tried it out, got through the tutorial. Loved it. Was spawned into the main game and I'm confronted with the ruins of a cathedral or some such building. I figure this is the way to go, since I'm facing that direction already. So I head off into the cathderal looking thing and find a bunch of loot but its a dead end. Then I realise there's a path to the left too, that must be it!

I head down the stairs and I'm in a cemetery and all of a sudden skeletons are rising. Undead, giant sword waving skeletons. I try fighitng the two that get up and the first kills me. I try again two more times and still I die. I was stumped. I put the game on hold and then sold it a week later when the PC version was given a release date.

Fast forward to last week and it releases on PC. I restart and get to the same point and I'm STILL getting my ass kicked. After dying for the 10th time I decided to just run straight past the fuckers. I manage to make a full circle of the cemetary and then all of a sudden a GIANT FUCKING GOLIATH skeleton dude just kills me i na single hit. But I got a glimpse of a weapon! So I zoom straight back there, this time dodgin his attack and pick the weapon up and make a bee line for the starting fire. I have no idea what the heck is going on, i'm not making any progress at all.

And then @corpekata tells me there's a path that leads up from the starting area, behind the player when he/she spawns. *facepalm*

I even looked behind me and searched for an alternate way but didn't find it. Hell, even after corpe told me about it I struggled to find it, stupid gamma messing up my fun.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Diablo 3:

Did not realize weapon damage affected spell damage and passed up numerous swords, axes, and hammers in search of a wand because I didn't know the wizard could still use them at range.
    Shit got real tough to kill real quick and it was gettin' pretty frustrating until I finally just switched weapons and started bowling everything over.

Knights of the Old Republic:

Was hell-bent on creating the best solo melee Jedi Knight I could, so I kept stacking dexterity because I knew it would contribute to both defense and +hit once I became a Jedi and I thought it would make a much better choice than strength. Turns out I failed to account for the fact that strength provides a bonus to both +hit and +damage, so while my dexterity build was super-durable, he couldn't hit for shit and enemies would eventually wear him down. Strength build didn't need near as much defense because my damage was so ridiculous everything died in 1-2 hits anyway. Neglecting that damage bonus made fights so much more of a pain in the ass.

Civ V:

Set units to auto-explore.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Learning to play Crusader Kings II was this, for absolutely everything in the game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I beat Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, without realizing the pistol had a thing that disables cameras. I had gotten through the entire game stealthily before a hallway where you HAD to use that.

I played through SC1 (and the first DLC level) not knowing you could hold your breath to snipe.

I was a patient, patient man trying to line up weapon bob with guard-on-patrol's head.

Even one of my friends was like "dude... Really? You didn't know?"

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Alice: Madness Returns
    Seeing as how I'm so pro at videogames, I decided to play this game on the most challenging setting when I rented it. I enjoy a good challenge but, man, this one was extremely tough. One errant attack by a standard enemy took off a quarter of Alice's life and the game frequently sent groups of three or more enemies at a time to surround her. Killing an enemy sometimes netted you a restorative rose petal but it was never enough and I was under the impression that life was only restored by collecting these petals or beating the Chapter. I slogged through it and made it to the final Chapter when I noticed that resting inside a Lilly flower slowly restores your life completely. WTF. These Lilly flowers are all over the game and I just assumed their presence meant an invisible secret was nearby. But, no, these covert carnations had TWO purposes and I missed out the whole game.
    What. I am halfway through this game right now. Also on hard. Had no idea. I've been going through fights with like 1 HP. Goddammit, American McGee. Goddammit.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    My grandfather recently got his first smart phone and he really enjoys it. He's a smart guy and hasn't had any problems using it and figuring everything out and he downloaded Angry Birds to play while at work. Every so often on the way home he'd talk about how he had gotten stuck on a particular level or whatever and how long it had taken him to beat it. A few weeks went by until one night he told me he had just figured out the birds had special powers.

He had already completed about half the game by then.

Afterwards he said, "No wonder everything was so damn hard, it's easy as pie now" and he proceeded to breeze through the rest of the game and Angry Birds Space in the next couple of weeks.

I'm ashamed to admit, I did this too. I definitely didn't make it halfway through the game, but I had a couple of different birds before I accidentally tapped the screen. :D

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    My child mind was fucking BLOWN when my buddy at school just casually mentioned he uses cure spells and healing items to kill undead enemies in JRPGs

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Fucking running in Resident Evil 4. I got about halfway through that game before someone told me that they had done the same thing.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    When it happens, it's usually the fault of the game, because I always RTFM. It happens very, very rarely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Back in the day, I was doing my first play through of that amazing PS1 game, Metal Gear Solid.

I got to the Psycho Mantis fight. I quickly figured out that he could dodge everything I threw at him except for the occasional kick & punch. I beat him on my first try, using melee attacks that were partially effective, and successfully dodging nearly every attack. I think it took me 40 minutes, and I was blown away by just how long and stupid of a fight it was.

Sometime later, after having picked up the game guide, I discovered that I was supposed to get my ass kicked, which would have prompted the in-game characters to start dropping strong hints about plugging the controller into port 2 in order to confound his ability to read my attacks.

So yeah. Punished for being too damn good. :p

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So many people didn't realize the Mako had a scope on its cannon in Mass Effect 1.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The mako had a scope? Well fuck.

not that I'm ever going to play it again

• Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    In Sonic Advance 2 for GBA I used to have a few levels that I had down to a science, running through as Sonic, shaving milliseconds off my best times. Long after playing I look up some speedruns on youtube to see how good my times were, and I find out there's a dash feature (I think it's jump, then tap forward twice) making all my times down right pathetic. So my times right now are all with a no-dash handicap.

Also I'm pretty sure I didn't know about scope on the Mako in Mass Effect 1, or at least not until I was well into the game.

One thing I did know and liked telling my friends, was that in Halo 1, on the Assault on the Control Room level, you could rush one of the banshee's and use it skip a large portion of the level.

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    The Mako scope was the only one that comes to mind.

Multiple playthroughs.

Not that it was game breaking or made everything worlds difficult. The Mako is still the Mako.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    League of Legends: friend talks me into playing free-week Sion in a bot game. Sion is a melee mage who delivers burst damage by casting a medium-range single-target stun and then walking up and detonating his shield. The shield explodes after 10 seconds, or when re-activated.

I didn't know about the manual detonation, so for about 15 minutes here's me thinking, Wow, this is hard to time out! Sion sure seems like a week and gimmicky character! :(

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember moments like this, but in the meanwhile, here's one I made someone go through during my LP of Etrian Odyssey 2: It was still the first floor, and I had been showing things off. Among them, near the end of the whole thing, was a shortcut that cut through half the bullshit long way and gets you a straight path to the next floor. Cue someone quoting that segment and capslocking, "THIS WAS HERE THE WHOLE TIME?!"

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 1. "Check the back of the CD case to find the codec frequency you need to call to advance the story!" I spent like twenty minutes backtracking through areas and repeatedly trying to examine the data disc in inventory even though there's no possible way to do anything with it before checking online to discover...the actual jewel case. Well goddamnit.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So many people didn't realize the Mako had a scope on its cannon in Mass Effect 1.

Similarly though not a gameplay issue, people are blown away the first time they pass near a certain wall in your cabin on the Normandy in ME2/3 and discover your private bathroom.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Fucking running in Resident Evil 4. I got about halfway through that game before someone told me that they had done the same thing.

I find this hilarious. There's a popup when you first start the game that blatantly tells you. And I totally ran into a dude who thought the same thing. I was like "uh, it's b. Just hold b".

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Similarly though not a gameplay issue, people are blown away the first time they pass near a certain wall in your cabin on the Normandy in ME2/3 and discover your private bathroom.

WHAT

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    That bathroom is the biggest revelation in the Mass Effect series. If the reapers had hidden in your bathroom instead of trying to blow your ship up, they might have actually managed to kill you more than once.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Dark Souls is full of these. I mean, dozens and dozens and dozens:

You basically get 5 'life pots' that can only be refilled at a save point (bonfire). But using the save point respawns everything except bosses, so whenever you need to go back for pots the world rearms to kick your ass again. I played this game for over 15 hours before I realised you could upgrade a bonfire to give you more pots.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
    American McGee's Alice. I spent maybe 15 minutes trying to swing up to an impossible ledge with a vine, Indiana Jones style. Then I quit. Then I tried again for another 15 minutes.

Eventually I learned that I could just crawl up the damn thing and jump off from the top.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    How do people not realize you could run in RE4?

You have to both not pay attention to the game-stopping instructional they throw on the screen with several pages to scroll through, and somehow never have played a Resident Evil before

What the fuck

Now if someone said, for example, they didn't know you could kick open doors in RE4, yeah, that I get. They don't tell you and it's not really vital.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 1. "Check the back of the CD case to find the codec frequency you need to call to advance the story!" I spent like twenty minutes backtracking through areas and repeatedly trying to examine the data disc in inventory even though there's no possible way to do anything with it before checking online to discover...the actual jewel case. Well goddamnit.

The fact that you get a CD in game immediately before this is the worst. D:

I got stuck in Portal 2 for a solid hour, messing around with falls and flinging before realizing there was a tiny patch of portalable wall on the other side of the area.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Man, I don't know what it was, but for some reason I knew exactly what Baker was talking about in MGS

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Diablo 3:

Did not realize weapon damage affected spell damage and passed up numerous swords, axes, and hammers in search of a wand because I didn't know the wizard could still use them at range.
    Shit got real tough to kill real quick and it was gettin' pretty frustrating until I finally just switched weapons and started bowling everything over.

I'd totally blame that one on the game. There is no reason for the game to have tooltips besides the advanced ones you have to enable in the options. Did you also play it without elective mode on?
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The one I've heard was people not realizing it had a cannon at all and only using the machine gun.

• Options
    Oh! Portal 2! Here's a good one.

My first encounter with the portal goo, the white one. That room where you have to use portals to direct a stream of white goo onto alternating adjacent columns so that you can portal all the way up to the top.

Well, I didn't do that. I found a tiny patch of ceiling big enough for one portal, put goo on it, put goo directly underneath it, and used the Portal 2 acceleration physics mechanic to drop endlessly through a portal on the floor and ceiling and then quickly reportal on a ramp to fly high into the air and completely bypass it.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Sort of related to the MGS one, but there was a bit in the Resident Evil remake where you had to find a key by turning over a book in your inventory. Except, if I recall correctly, there was no indication that you should be looking at the back of any books for the key, nor was there any indication that turning things over in your inventory was even possible.