As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kamen Rider Wizard & Other Toku] Yer A Rider, Harry

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
g4XCU.png

It's that time of the year again when a new Kamen Rider series pops up and I bring a new thread to the forum about it. :)
6DmsX.jpgrggOB.jpg

This year's tale is set in Toriisaka, a modern city which unknowingly hosts a group of demons called Phantoms. Originally born from a group of human sacrifices during a solar eclipse ritual, the Phantoms seek to increase their numbers by forcing people with magical potential known as Gates into utter despair. This causes a new Phantom to soon bust out of them like maggots explosively eating their way out of a corpse.
Gwqvs.jpg
2apSo.jpgjZGSD.jpg

However, the Phantoms have an obstacle in their path, a young man named Haruto Sohma who brings hope to the unknowingly-besieged city by fighting magic with magic. Joining his side of the fight is the Phantom-dectector Koyomi, ring-maker Shigeru Wajima, and Muggle-cop Rinko Daimon.
HTw7x.jpg

With their help and the use of his magical rings and transformation belt, Haruto becomes the newest masked biker of justice, Kamen Rider Wizard.

gPKVI.jpg

For those who haven't heard of them before, Kamen Rider is a superhero franchise from Japan stretching back to 1971. Like another popular show from overseas, the series took a break from TV starting in 1989 and started again in 2000. Counting Wizard, there's been 26 headlining Kamen Riders (28 if you count Black's upgraded form, Black-RX, as a separate Rider and the parody Rider, G) with plenty more popping up as rivals and/or partners. The common themes in the show tend to be the heroes gaining their power to fight from the same source as the villains and using some sort of motorcycle for transportation and sometimes weapons. Currently the show forms a power-hour on Sunday mornings with their team-based counterparts...

CHg4g.jpg

...the nearly-as-old franchise known as Super Sentai. The origin of America's Power Rangers, the various series all follow a team of spandex-wearing heroes who fight their villains both on foot and in the cockpits of combining mecha (known to fans here in PR as Zords).

K8Lgs.jpg

The current group is Tokumei (Special Ops) Sentai Go-Busters, a series that takes a few steps away from the typical Super Sentai traditions like the heroes using leather instead of spandex and the individual mecha having a bigger role then just being there to combine into a big robot. The story follows a trio of special agents that work for the Energy Management Centre (AKA the power company) in order to stop the robotic forces of the Vaglass from stealing the super-energy known as Enetron to feed to their boss, a sentient (and pretty insane) computer virus that appeared thirteen years ago on Christmas Day called Messiah.

Ut5dG.jpgA6etc.jpg
Dv5ub.jpg

Of course there's more to Japan's live-action hero genre (known as Tokusatsu) if the two above aren't your cup of tea. Other examples include the Metal Hero franchise (looking to see a current-day return with the Space Sheriff Gavan movie), the older Ultraman franchise and the younger, more adult-oriented horror series known as GARO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wRnYCrXKM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmT8DB6UShA

So, any thoughts on this year's crop of foreign costumed adventurers, good ladies and sirs?

Owenashi on

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Fuck all of this bullshit, where's Godzilla

Can't they bring him back again, hasn't it been long enough

Final Wars was incredible

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    oh my yes let's talk about SHABBADOOBIE TOUCH TO HENSHIN

paging @antimatter

Buttlord on
    his belt is so goddamn polite

it says please!

also good toku shows to watch include Dairanger and Kamen Rider Kuuga

wizard is bitin kuuga pretty hard in a good way

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What fresh hell is this?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    his belt is so goddamn polite

it says please!

also good toku shows to watch include Dairanger and Kamen Rider Kuuga

wizard is bitin kuuga pretty hard in a good way

Well please IS the magic word. :)

As for Wizard being Kuuga-like...
    ...it's been revealed early that Wizard's getting boosted versions of his Styles (AKA his elemental forms) much like Kuuga's Rising upgrades.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    What fresh hell is this?

TOKUSATSU FUCK YEAH

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Godzilla-teaser-poster.jpeg

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    d458bb0585d40a0408285a7ba36dbd83_0.jpg
    This guy is my favorite. He doesn't transform, he just changes into a costume he keeps stuffed in his guitar! It's too bad there's hardly anything from the show on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fafkZvYGv4&feature=related

uc3ufTB.png
    Don't forget folks, this counts as Toku too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDZ1c3VJ6w

In fact, it's because of this series that Super Sentai has giant robots in the first place.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    tokusatsu has always been one of those things that i've wanted to get into but never just

sat down and did it!

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

This has a director now if anyone doesn't know, it's the guy who made this -
    MonstersUK.jpg

Which of course I immediately watched on Netflix as soon as I found out, and it was pretty good. Should be interesting to see what he does with it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited September 2012
    Also on the subject of Kamen Rider I have no idea what the fuck the context for this is but I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTembHS14oA

JayKaos on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Japanese Spider-man has the best opening song of any toku show.

uc3ufTB.png
    tokusatsu has always been one of those things that i've wanted to get into but never just

sat down and did it!

good introductions:

for sentai - dairanger, gokaiger, gobuster, and shinkenger (too bad the existing subs for the last third of shinkenger are ass)
    for kamen rider: W. fucking W. watch W everyone.

edited September 2012
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Also on the subject of Kamen Rider I have no idea what the fuck the context for this is but I love it.

That's from Kamen Rider Decade, showing off the climax of the big fight in an alternate reality based off of the Kamen Rider Hibiki series. Decade's series was all about visiting 'What If?' versions of the previous nine Riders as well as other Rider-based realities. Well, except for that one visit to the world of the Super Sentai team that was used for Power Rangers Samurai, Shinkenger.
    for sentai - dairanger, gokaiger, gobuster, and shinkenger (too bad the existing subs for the last third of shinkenger are ass)
    for kamen rider: W. fucking W. watch W everyone.

I'll agree with the ones on that list I've seen. Something to note however is that Double has a crossover movie with Decade. Normally not too troublesome but one-third of the movie's Decade's series finale while Double's solo portion is important backstory. So someone new to KR may wanna end up watching Decade's series first just so they're not lost on what's going on in the movie.

Owenashi on
    don't watch Decade

Man, one of my favorite aspects of the Earth Defense Force games is how all the soldiers look straight out of a 70s tokusatsu show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXED3qSqffQ
    Pretty bummed that it's a bunch of generic robomarines in Insect Armageddon

uc3ufTB.png
    don't watch Decade

See you say this but then

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

you should read this

godzillahalfcenturywar1.jpg

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    What fresh hell is this?

TOKUSATSU FUCK YEAH

I didn't know you were such a fan of fried pork
    I will show myself the door now

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

you should read this

I...I think I need this

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Decade's ok but it wasn't a full-length series, clocking in at only thirty-one episodes rather then 48-50. Plus the worlds of the previous modern-day Riders he visited were alternate versions of said worlds so things were different then what they were in their respective shows. And not only having Decade's series finale in a movie rather then at the end of the series but having to wait three months between the series' last episode and the movie for resolution didn't help matters either.

At least Toei learned when they made the Super Sentai version of Decade, Gokaiger, and had everything not only take place on one world but managed to get at least one original actor from the previous thirty-four series to represent their show rather then go the Other Darrin route.

decade was basically the biggest hunk of shit and the story is a goddamn mess and the handful fo cool ideas/moments don't make up for the rest of it

pretend it never happened and go straight to W

W owns

it is literally impossible to not like W

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    what was the one where all the riders were named after bugs

kabuto? i think i watched like five episodes of that and thought it was kinda cool

kabuto is cool as heck but falls apart halfway in

the suit designs are fantastic and so are the fighting styles

that's a thing that doesn't get talked about a lot: suit acting. some of the suit actors for kamen rider are fucking brilliant, particularly when it comes to the fight scenes

most of the Good rider shows feature the hero fighting in a way that reflects his personality

the best example? kabuto

tendou, aka kamen rider kabuto, is smug as fuck because he is literally just the best at everything. when he fights, he doesn't put his hands up or run or really exude any effort. he basically just stands there, blocks a swing, and clocks a dude in the face, and then drops his hands again. it's the smuggest fight possible

I wish they'd give Gokaiger a proper full series instead of stripping it of it's gear for Power Rangers Megaforce's second half. It's POSSIBLE it'll be ok but I'm sure it would have been better if Nickelodeon didn't force Saban into these twenty episode half-seasons like they did with Samurai. Heck, they have plenty of material with the Super Sentai they're starting with for Megaforce, Goseiger. Trying to cram two shows' worth of content into one won't end well I fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztcetHPivmw

At least the first promo looks good. Guess BTW which part of the trailer came from Gokaiger.

the problem is, gokaiger is a BITCH to adapt in full for the states because we've gotten like

half of Sentai

so half of it is essentially unusable because nobody is going to know who these characters are

also goseiger sucks and anything that means less goseiger in the world is a good thing

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

you should read this

I...I think I need this

Yeah you do.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Half-Century War only has one issue out but it is fucking fantastic

CYpGAPn.png
    edited September 2012
    the problem is, gokaiger is a BITCH to adapt in full for the states because we've gotten like

half of Sentai

so half of it is essentially unusable because nobody is going to know who these characters are

also goseiger sucks and anything that means less goseiger in the world is a good thing

I'll agree with the Gokaiger part. And I know they're going to reshoot that 'Legend War' footage in the promo with only the groups that showed up in the US. I still wish they'd give it a full season though. Even though the original Power Rangers series only used Dairanger (Thunderzords & White Ranger) and then Kakuranger (Ninjazords and Alien Rangers) for their gear, they still spent a whole season with one group's stuff before switching over.

On the topic of Kamen Rider, I enjoyed Double myself. Certainly not your typical hero considering how Double works physically. And I loved the show's secondary Rider, Accel. Thought it was sweet how they handled his main mode of transportation whenever he was heroing it up. :)

Owenashi on
    the difference between MMPR and now is that they were trying to build a brand in 1994

the best way to do that was to create the clusterfuck of borrowing that was season 3 of MMPR

after that the Power Rangers name is already established, people know what it is, you can take a little more latitude with deviating from the expected look (read; use other costumes because now it's just getting too complicated)

they're kiiiiiiiinda trying to do it again for a new generation, but again, the name is already established

the problem now is that the shows they have to use are either a) shit or B) unusable

also i was under the impression they were doing megaforce/super megaforce as two seasons, like they did samurai and super samurai

also i was under the impression they were doing megaforce/super megaforce as two seasons, like they did samurai and super samurai

Yeah, but said 'seasons' are groups of 20-24 episodes more or less. Which means presumably we'll get 20 or so episodes of Goseiger's angel-themed gear before swapping in Gokaiger's space-pirate stuff.

Oh well

Like I said

Goseiger sucks shit anyway so less is better

Xehalus wrote: »

Yes

signature-deffo.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Owenashi wrote:
    A6etc.jpg

Yesss.

Garo is fucking rad, and it deserves an English dub.

Admittedly I never finished even the first season, as I kinda started growing out of this style of show some years ago, but it had some of the most solid action I'd ever seen in a sentai-type series. This is probably because the show was mainly aiming at teens and young adults, given the timeslot it had.

I mean the choreography seemed a tad silly at times, but I can't really blame it for that; that's just the nature of these shows. Also, the effects are pretty stellar for a sentai series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVb8674qho

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

I've personally never seen GARO myself but I have heard a lot of praise for it.

And did anyone here ask for a KR/Ultraman crossover with Gundam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iitV4Tfl7Hw

Oh Japan...

I swear I saw a bit of Garo at one point, some out of context fight scene posted somewheres

It seemed cool I guess?

signature-deffo.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    They were probably clips posted by me, in one of the other Kamen Rider/Power Ranger threads. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Garo is often violent and disturbing. It's definitely not a kid's show. It was pretty good from what I watched of it, though - most of the battles take place with the actors fighting out of costumes, with their transforming only really to end things for good.