As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reducing size of DVD's

Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been putting some of my DVD's onto my new Ipod, but it just seems the files are too big. I use DVD decrypter to rip the DVD's. If I use Videora will that process automatically reduce the size of the DVD's so they arn't there normal 4 GB size ?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Hocky27 on

• Options
    MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't have a video iPod, but I'm sure you should probably convert these files into maybe .avi or .mpg or whatever the iPod plays. You don't need DVD quality on a screen that's only a couple inches wide, assuming the device can even handle it.

Glancing over that program's site, I'd say that's probably what you should be using (or something else similar). It should take a movie from 4GB to a few hundred MB.

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You want to get Handbrake (select "Windows GUI" under "MediaFork 0.8.0 beta 1" and DVD43, then read through "How to rip a movie for your iPod on Windows."

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    april__29april__29 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    it may not be relevent im not sure but the DVD Shrink program is very good for shrinking dvds. its all simple layout with sliders to change the size and quality of the film, menus special features etc and tick boxes to take off or leave on different languages audio and subtitles.

april__29 on
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Videora iPod Converter

With using this and only having video, not menus and bonus features, I have all 3 seasons of Titus(53 episodes) and Surf Ninjas with it being about 8 gig.

You do need to rip the dvds before using any kind of file converter though.
    Though I will warn you, converting movies takes a VERY long time, and can lag your computer up.

KurnDerak on