As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gentle[chat]ly advice

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I have got to be one of the luckiest sons of bitches when it comes to moving violations.

I speed habitually. All the time. I have gotten one ticket in my life from a radar trap. Never been pulled over. Today I was doing 95 in a 70 zone just outside of Yellowknife with a big black truck behind me. It never occurred to me that the big truck could be a cop, but sure enough, the lights came on. I started to pull over and he just sped around me.

This is not the first time something like this has happened to me.

Cops tend to go for people who are both speeding and driving like a wanker.

I got pulled once for speeding, but I was also driving like an arse, so there's that.

Oh, I got pulled another time for speeding, but it wasn't a traffic car and he thought the speed limit was 30 when it was 50.

When I was very young, I got pulled over for doing 85 in a 55 zone. Mostly because I was the only person on I-95 at the time besides the cop.

Oh yeah, late night/early morning on quiet roads you need to be watching your mirrors like a hawk.

Strathclyde and Lothian and Borders police buy random makes and models in random colours to convert to traffic cars, they tend not to keep them very long, and they only livery them on the sides and fit the blue lamps behind the grille. In a rear view mirror there is no way to tell if that car gaining on you from behind is a cop or not.

EDIT: West Midlands police make life easy since they're the only people that buy Jaguar XFs in flat white.

I got pulled over by a Crown Vic. There may be areas that do cars like that in the US but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Most police forces here will at least have some proportion of their traffic cars "unmarked". Some of them kind of defeat the point of not marking them by buying a whole fleet of the same vehicle. Sometimes they're easy to spot because they don't look like a car that an actual person would buy out of a dealership (no metallic paint, no body colour bumpers and no alloy wheels looks weird on a mid range saloon car) or, like West Midlands, because nobody buys a plain white Jag.

Sometimes they're devious about it, like Strathclyde. At one point they had a Mercedes SL600 in a particularly lurid shade of purple tooling around as a traffic car. Nobody suspected that.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck weren't you wearing a seatbelt?

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Arrested Development looks dumb.

I never particularly cared for it either.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

valid question. Your age isn't going to save you from death.

They call it an accident because nobody involved meant for it to happen.

• Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Yeah, we had a guy miss most of the orientation week, so we kinda know who he is, but not who he is when smashed off his face. There's a bit of space between the rest of our intro group and him, sadly.

On the bright side, if this girl is cute, i'm sure she'll rapidly become un-strangered.

Thanks abd, I think I'll have a look through the Europax thread around here somewhere - should be able to figure out if there are any PA related thingys happening in the geographic area.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    not even winky would say something that wrong

"You know, from a different point of view, Hitler wasn't necessarily a bad guy. Who are we to judge?"

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Random guy I met at the vorspiel before the end-of-fadderuken galla tipped us off to a pretty sweet deal

a tailor is coming here from thailand, and we can get a tailored suit, two shirts and two ties for 475 yankeebucks and up.

good idea y/n (475 $ is about one fifth of my availible money.)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    144782.jpg

144781.jpg

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

You would think the goddamn honor students would know that, right?

• Options
    I think XKCD suggested a twitter bot that chastised politicians for using text speak when they still had an adequate number of characters remaining in their message to have spelled things correctly.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

At the time, I'd wager 90% of the island didn't wear seatbelts when just going home from school or work on the island - you generally couldn't go much more than 25 mph and it just wasn't a bit deal then. It's a bit backwards, I know, but in our defense all of us would wear them when we left the island for the mainland and drove on real roads with streetlights and stuff.

Since then, I always wear mine even when I visit home. Once I lived on the mainland for just a few weeks it became habit. My habit of just leaving the car unlocked with the keys in the ignition took a bit longer to break though.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    when I lived in san diego I was going to the beach with a friend

we had a surfboard in the car coming from the back seat into the front, so I was hunched under it

I had my seat belt on but under my arm pit so I didn't choke myself

a cop pulled us over and was like, you weren't wearing a seat belt!

I said yes I was and I still am, see?

and he is like hrumph you aren't wearing it correctly *ticket*

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Here if you see two large bald white dudes in a shitty car they're probably cops

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quqlIPZrdz8

here have a slice of norwegian television

...unrelated to conversation.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Here if you see two large bald white dudes in a shitty car they're probably cops

DO you ask them if they're cops? If you ask them if they're cops, they have to tell you that they're cops.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    "Prechiated"

Nothing worse than stupid people who are proud of it.

Sheep on
  • Options

DO you ask them if they're cops? If you ask them if they're cops, they have to tell you that they're cops.

nothing like going up to uniformed cops and saying this

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Mission Impossible is a solid movie.

The very beginning felt like it could have been an episode of the show. I didn't really care for how Phelps was directing the team during the embassy bit. The vault went a bit too smoothly. Then lots of action, and a good ending.

Could have thrown the audience a few more bones; keeping us in the dark isn't as entertaining as keeping Ethan in the dark. Come to that, I don't think I like the name Ethan Hunt all that much.

Is MI:3 any good? It's the only other one on netflix.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quqlIPZrdz8

here have a slice of norwegian television

...unrelated to conversation.

... all that delicious free healthcare ...
    *drools*

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Today we were taught how to be empathetic and deliver bad news.

By watching Philadelphia.

andy

andy you're a gay man with AIDS and i hate you for it
    Nailed it
    Mitt%2BRomney%2BNod%2Bof%2BApproval.gif

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    "Prechiated"

Nothing worse than stupid people who are proud of it.

how bout u catch dis middle finer and stay DF off my forums ... PRECHIATED

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

The very beginning felt like it could have been an episode of the show. I didn't really care for how Phelps was directing the team during the embassy bit. The vault went a bit too smoothly. Then lots of action, and a good ending.

Could have thrown the audience a few more bones; keeping us in the dark isn't as entertaining as keeping Ethan in the dark. Come to that, I don't think I like the name Ethan Hunt all that much.

MI > MI3 > MI4 > MI2

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

The other two are p bad. Ghost Protocol was great though. Brad Bird made it!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

The other two are p bad. Ghost Protocol was great though. Brad Bird made it!

Yeah.

Makes me wish I could watch it - Brad Bird is awesome.

• Options
    I always thought this one was pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHY69AFstE

• Options
    WTF JAPAN!

That would never fly on American TV.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

MI > MI3 > MI4 > MI2

Good enough for me. Cheers.

• Options
    WTF JAPAN!

That would never fly on American TV.

Seriously?

UK road safety ads have always tended towards the disturbing. This one always freaked me the fuck out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tteHhYh9rU

• Options

Amazingly, I've found that this message is one that only sinks in through repetition. I think it's honestly something in the teenage brain that causes them to poorly evaluate risk and plan for contingencies.

I say that line to the kids over and over and over... it's sort of sinking in. I expect they will all laugh ate me for my stupid catchphrases when they're in their 20s. Currently I'm doing:

Solutions, not excuses.
    Do it right, or do it again.
    They call it an accident because nobody meant for it to happen.
    The apology is how you start fixing a mistake, not how you erase it.

• Options
    I feel like a cheap parenting magazine sometimes :(

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Don't tickets for that typically go to the driver? Or is the new law they're talking about aimed specifically at 18+ people in the back seat?

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DYnuBmgRQ

[The car is driving in 80km/h, which is the speed limit.

Here, it's driving in 90km/h. It feels... very similar.

Round a corner, the car meets an obstacle. But from a speed of 80, it just manages to stop in time.

Now 90 feels very different from 80.

What you can stop for at 80, you will, with just 10 more on the speedometre, hit at 50 km/h.]

I don't really think these kinds of commercials can get too heavy handed.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

That's nice of em.

In MS, the driver still gets the ticket.

• Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

nothing like going up to uniformed cops and saying this

Semi related?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGEbG8CX0I

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

yes, 2 isn't worth the time imo but 3 is in some ways better than the first, definitely worth it

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Amazingly, I've found that this message is one that only sinks in through repetition. I think it's honestly something in the teenage brain that causes them to poorly evaluate risk and plan for contingencies.

I say that line to the kids over and over and over... it's sort of sinking in. I expect they will all laugh ate me for my stupid catchphrases when they're in their 20s. Currently I'm doing:

Solutions, not excuses.
    Do it right, or do it again.
    They call it an accident because nobody meant for it to happen.
    The apology is how you start fixing a mistake, not how you erase it.
    In my defense the fact is that during that time if you sat down in a car on the island and buckled up I guarantee the driver would have said "Why you buckling up? We're just going downsteet" or something similar. When you see absolutely no one else doing the right thing, you're much less inclined to do it yourself.

Of course, I'm very grateful I started when I was in college - a friend and I were out in one of those tiny 70's VW pickup trucks and got nailed full on by a tow truck one night while out looking for pickled fiddleheads. The belts probably saved both of us some pretty hefty injuries.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I have got to be one of the luckiest sons of bitches when it comes to moving violations.

I speed habitually. All the time. I have gotten one ticket in my life from a radar trap. Never been pulled over. Today I was doing 95 in a 70 zone just outside of Yellowknife with a big black truck behind me. It never occurred to me that the big truck could be a cop, but sure enough, the lights came on. I started to pull over and he just sped around me.

This is not the first time something like this has happened to me.

Cops tend to go for people who are both speeding and driving like a wanker.

I got pulled once for speeding, but I was also driving like an arse, so there's that.

Oh, I got pulled another time for speeding, but it wasn't a traffic car and he thought the speed limit was 30 when it was 50.

When I was very young, I got pulled over for doing 85 in a 55 zone. Mostly because I was the only person on I-95 at the time besides the cop.

Oh yeah, late night/early morning on quiet roads you need to be watching your mirrors like a hawk.

Strathclyde and Lothian and Borders police buy random makes and models in random colours to convert to traffic cars, they tend not to keep them very long, and they only livery them on the sides and fit the blue lamps behind the grille. In a rear view mirror there is no way to tell if that car gaining on you from behind is a cop or not.

EDIT: West Midlands police make life easy since they're the only people that buy Jaguar XFs in flat white.

I got pulled over by a Crown Vic. There may be areas that do cars like that in the US but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Dude, Texas state troopers buy a few Mustangs. I've seen a DPS corvette as well.

I've seen them in the D.A.R.E. livery but never on traffic duty.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_8TGTKdrlY
    "Some people are lucky in life"
    "For the rest of us, saving a little can be smart"
    "S for Savings Plan"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    In New York, they give the seatbelt ticket to the passengers too. I got one as a student and it was super expensive. I ended up not really being able to eat for a couple weeks.

(It was bullshit too, I wear my seatbelt. But this time I was in a friend's car with belts that lock and I needed something out of my bag on the floor right before we hit the checkpoint.)

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.