As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So about that Gonzales fellow...

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    You know, even when you know full well what they're gonna do, they still find ways to shock and disappoint me.

Bush is even more confident in Gonzales than ever. I mean, you knew Bush was going to stick by him, but to say he's MORE confident gives the impression that Gonzales' "I do not recall" routine was something that left a GOOD IMPRESSION with Bush. That it SWAYED him even further to Gonzales' point of view.

Slate had an interesting take on that one. Basically since the Bush administration has been running on the assumption that nobody, including Congress, has any authority over them then what Gonzales did was actually perfect. He basically went in front of Congress, and told them to fuck off by not answering anything. Unfortunately in order to do this legally he had to go the Reagan route, making himself look foolish...but this was nothing more than "taking one for the team" in order to reinforce to the legislature that the White House doesn't have to answer shit. That they're lucky Gonzales even showed up.

That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Y'know, it would fit for this administration to equate failing so blatantly with success.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Y'know, it would fit for this administration to equate failing so blatantly with success.
    asshole_1.jpg

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    asshole_1.jpg
    That picture never fails to make me laugh. And it's not the cynical, crying-on-the-inside laugh it used to be anymore; this time it was a genuine hahaha laugh. I think it's the big goofy grin that does it.

Huh, my capacity for political anger seems to cap off at about 5 years.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I like to think he's giving the thumbs-up to the invisible letter gnomes in the teleprompter.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, even when you know full well what they're gonna do, they still find ways to shock and disappoint me.

Bush is even more confident in Gonzales than ever. I mean, you knew Bush was going to stick by him, but to say he's MORE confident gives the impression that Gonzales' "I do not recall" routine was something that left a GOOD IMPRESSION with Bush. That it SWAYED him even further to Gonzales' point of view.

Remember how Rumsfeld went out. Bush backed him to the hilt until right after the election, then ditched him like a hot potato.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Remember how Rumsfeld went out. Bush backed him to the hilt until right after the election, then ditched him like a hot potato.

But there's....not another election.

Seriously, unless some evidence comes to light that can actually convict Gonzales of a substantial crime, I'd say it's dollars to pesos that he's still around the day Bush leaves.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

But there's....not another election.

Seriously, unless some evidence comes to light that can actually convict Gonzales of a substantial crime, I'd say it's dollars to pesos that he's still around the day Bush leaves.
    Bush had a Republican majority in the Senate still to confirm Gates. Anyone Bush appoints as AG isn't going to be acceptable to the Dems, and it's going to be a huge uphill battle for the White House, which is exactly what they don't need right now. Which is why I think Gonzalez will stay, unless he actually gets convicted of something.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I'm sure the election didn't help, but I think Rumsfeld was a different situation than Gonzales, inasmuch as he wasn't one of the president's BFFs. If he'd known Bush back in the salad days I doubt any force on earth short of impeachment could have dislodged him.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    email2.GIF

The White House or DOJ deleting files, even if it's just to update them, is illegal...right?

moniker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bush dropped Rummy so he could appoint Gates before the Dems took charge. Rummy was one of Bush's old guard guys(remember he worked for Bush's dad too).

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bush dropped Rummy so he could appoint Gates before the Dems took charge. Rummy was one of Bush's old guard guys(remember he worked for Bush's dad too).

Still, this would be a thorn in the side of Pubbies on the hill and could drive them even further away from whatever it is that Bush wants to get accomplished in a variety of ways. Plus, I think the Senate is going to hold a vote of no confidence in Gonzales. I don't think it would be binding or anything, but if it gets a supermajority ++ that'd be bad.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm doubting theres any ways to make Bush more politically poisonous than he already is...

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JuxtaposeJuxtapose Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    He could start pardoning child molesters, just to see if anyone notices.

Juxtapose on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Juxtapose wrote: »
    He could start pardoning child molesters, just to see if anyone notices.

or become one.

hey what? can't rule anything out at this point. seriously.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why is the media silent on Gonzales covering up the Texas youth correctional massive sex abuse scandal
    as well as his legalizing torture memos? Bush's legal team, which once included John Yoo, pretty much said they could torture the children(even sexually) of terrorists if it meant getting crucial information. This is the level of psychopaths were dealing with in the white house.

I'll never forget on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart showing a clip of Gonzales trying to cover up the fact
    the FBI tried to get a bunch of poor black guys to claim to be al Qaeda and blow up the Sears Tower.

entropykid on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    entropykid wrote: »
    Why is the media silent on Gonzales covering up the Texas youth correctional massive sex abuse scandal
    as well as his legalizing torture memos? Bush's legal team, which once included John Yoo, pretty much said they could torture the children(even sexually) of terrorists if it meant getting crucial information. This is the level of psychopaths were dealing with in the white house.

I'll never forget on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart showing a clip of Gonzales trying to cover up the fact
    the FBI tried to get a bunch of poor black guys to claim to be al Qaeda and blow up the Sears Tower.

Please tell me its on Youtube now? I cant find that part or know the exact name more information would be appreciated so I can find it.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    The White House or DOJ deleting files, even if it's just to update them, is illegal...right?
    I can't imagine how. Elaborate?

Yar on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yar wrote: »

The Hatch Act, forbids deletion of e-mails/files that relate to government business.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well if I am reading your question correctly you are wondering how deleting emails illegal? if I am correct I would say yes you should keep all your documents. If you don't keep your income tax info from 5 years ago, the IRS can ask for it, what can you do to defend yourself or you lied about your income and now trashing any evidence makes it even more questionable. This is similar case, emails are your proof that you did and said. Also in my job you forward all emails to shows basically the story of the topic being discussed and not get I said this way while you did it that way situation. It will look weird having back and forth email then stop in mid flight.

This is my opinion about the situation on email and hopefully answer your question.

Good discussion here about the situation.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Hatch Act. Plus the Presidential Records Act. Both oversight people and historians want to ensure the government keeps all of its records.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

The Hatch Act, forbids deletion of e-mails/files that relate to government business.

That can't possibly mean that no one can ever delete a file from a computer even if the original survives elsewhere. It would be too unwieldy.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Which is why claiming the emails are gone is ridiculous. Unless the goverment agencies are using some shitty netzero like ISP the emails ARE on a tape backup SOMEWHERE. Unless of course the backups were purposely destroyed too. Anyone who knows anything about mail servers knows this.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Which is why claiming the emails are gone is ridiculous. Unless the goverment agencies are using some shitty netzero like ISP the emails ARE on a tape backup SOMEWHERE. Unless of course the backups were purposely destroyed too. Anyone who knows anything about mail servers knows this.

The was a "problem" with the backup server.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

The was a "problem" with the backup server.

did it involve a baseball bat and a degausser?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

That can't possibly mean that no one can ever delete a file from a computer even if the original survives elsewhere. It would be too unwieldy.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say "destruction" rather then deletion.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I wasn't sure if that was the case or if the Hatch act would have had anything to say about it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    entropykid wrote: »

Please tell me its on Youtube now? I cant find that part or know the exact name more information would be appreciated so I can find it.

EK, you can't just waltz in here and claim that something like that happened on a show we actually watch and then not show some proof. We're still waiting.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to dig this thread out but looks like Paul McNulty won the "who gets to be the fall guy" game:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070515/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/fired_prosecutors
    Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Tuesday he relied on his resigning deputy more than any other aide to decide which U.S. attorneys should be fired last year.

His comments came a less than a day after Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty announced he would resign at the end of the summer — a decision that people familiar with the plans said was hastened by the controversy over the purge of eight prosecutors.

"You have to remember, at the end of the day, the recommendations reflected the views of the deputy attorney general. He signed off on the names," Gonzales told reporters at a National Press Club forum in Washington. "And he would know better than anyone else, anyone in this room, anyone — again, the deputy attorney general would know best about the qualifications and the experiences of the United States attorneys community, and he signed off on the names."

Seems almost too blatant, wonder why Gonzales couldn't mention this guy during his congressional testimony?

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Seems almost too blatant, wonder why Gonzales couldn't mention this guy during his congressional testimony?
    Well, you see, he couldn't say anything then because there was an ongoing investigation... :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Well, you see, he couldn't say anything then because there was an ongoing investigation... :P
    Oh man, the Daily Show's segment on that last night was amazing. There is a ridiculous amount of weaselry and doubletalk happening in this case, as in even more than we usually get from a Loyal Bushie.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So "I don't know" turns into "it was THAT guy!". How is that not perjury?

Tach on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tach wrote: »
    So "I don't know" turns into "it was THAT guy!". How is that not perjury?

I guess that it was so vague, that they can't prove he was lying.

Edit:
    I just watched last night's daily show clip. He pretty much told the House to go fuck themselves, didn't he? Interesting where this will go from here.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not 100% related but has anyone read this stuff the Deputy Justice guy is saying. Namely that Gonzales, when he was white house council, when with some Justice people to Ashcroft's intensive care room to get approval for the wiretapping program. Just so they could go over the Deputy who was acting as AG at the time..

D:

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The FBI director told his agents to prevent the deputy from being removed from the room so any bullshit could be prevented (obviously they thought Gonzales/Andy Card capable of "guiding" Ashcroft's hand).

Hoz on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hearing the guy's testimony about Ashcroft's response, has actually raised my estimation of the man. I may not like everything about him, but he's got fucking integrity.

Tach on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not 100% related but has anyone read this stuff the Deputy Justice guy is saying. Namely that Gonzales, when he was white house council, when with some Justice people to Ashcroft's intensive care room to get approval for the wiretapping program. Just so they could go over the Deputy who was acting as AG at the time..

D:

Here's a full story on the business, along with yet another Republican calling for Gonzales to resign.

Honestly, I wonder if Congress isn't a few more revelations of Executive overreaching away from just storming the White House.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hoz on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Leahy: u got docs
    Gonzales: no lol

BUT IS THIS THE BEGINNING OF A BIGGER BRAWL BETWEEN BUSH'S FAVORITE SONS?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK

SAME BAT TIME

SAME BAT CHANNEL

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.