As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

19596979899101»

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    You know who was a huuuuuge dick? Zeus.

EDIT: On topic, I hope they go into the lore more in some of these updates, rather than just gameplay system stuff

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Pretty sure that's why everything in Greek mythology had sex with the guy.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they go nuts with the lore. Assuming this becomes a series there's room for a rich background. The whole Godhammer thing gives me great hope for more cool shit to come.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

EDIT: On topic, I hope they go into the lore more in some of these updates, rather than just gameplay system stuff

Well, Zeus is a huge dick because people made him a huge dick. The reason why Zeus has so many children is because people liked to claim that their leaders/families/cities descended from the gods so they basically just changed the mythology and said that Zeus raped one of their ancestors.

In fact, I always thought that's a concept fantasies should deal more with. If the gods exist in fantasy worlds and people manipulated mythology and religion for their own purposes, then what is the interaction between the gods and the changes people made to the beliefs about those gods?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ok, since its my birthday today I'll make the thread. It has to wait 10 hours though as I've still got a lot of studying to do.

C2B on
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    What if someone makes a thread in the meantime? What then? All is lost!

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I never bought into the pure evil archetype. People are not one dimensional; no one is, even broken individuals who do horrible things because of how they are born and raised. A serial killer is a person, as is the violent dictator and anyone else who commits terrible acts. I don't believe in evil, I believe in people. For me, a villain must be a person on some level if he or she is to be compelling in any way. All of this applies to heroes as well. Life is too goddamn complicated for lazy concepts like evil to serve as a viable explanation for terrible actions. That's why villains need redeeming qualities or introspection or at least motivations that make fucking sense.

But things don't have to be that way in fiction, especially fantasy and sci-fi. In fantasy, there are gods who are physical manifestations of evil and gain power from slaughter and violence. In sci-fi, there are malfunctioning/rebellious AI bent on destroying all life.
    Gul Dukat from Deep Space 9 is an excellent example of a villain done right.

Until the last season.
    "I'll conquer the universe with my unlimited power!"

Gets pushed into a fire.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Icewind Dale 2 video from Josh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng4VfRZTNA

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    See, one of my favorite things about the Joker, in most of the versions I've seen, is that deep down, under the lunacy, and the face paint, and the theatrical violence, and the obsession with Batman, and the bad jokes, is that he's just a dick.

He's mostly unique in the Rogues gallery for that reason. I usually prefer villains who believe they're doing the right thing, or who logically pursuing power and wealth, over evil for evils sake, but the Joker's a jerk done right. He's got all sorts of facets and angles, but he's still a pretty straight forward baddie.

Just under all that, huh? And I think you mean AND a dick. :P

Nah, just saying, that's his core. He's not a heart broken scientist, an environmental crusader, a mutant that's lost everything, or a gentleman thief. He's a mean guy with a bad temper, and a big ego. Being the Joker just turns that up to 11.

In BTAS, before he ever becomes the Joker, he's a killer for the mob who seems to enjoy his work. Unlike most Batman villains, save some outlier depictions, he's entirely unsympathetic.

One of the things I did like about The Dark Knight was that it seems to mock the very idea of him having some kind of sad back-story. He exists because he exists. Not what I want from most villains, but it works for him. But that's mostly off topic.

Regarding Eternity, I'd like if there is no mastermind, just a group of people working towards what they feel is right.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    The Joker is chaos personified, which is what I always loved about him. You can't reason with a force of nature.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    HTTPS?

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    HTTPS?
    What other way would you have it? HTTP? Are we barbarians?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    so the Death Godlike are looking pretty awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKdv2JyYD4

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    There is a new thread.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA