As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Expired Registration

ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got pulled over for expired plate registration in Illinois, the officer took my license and gave me a court date for November. What I'm wondering is how I would go about getting my license back ASAP. I just lost my job, so money has been tight, which is how the registration wasn't renewed yet at this point (getting paid Friday, planned on doing it then, go figure). I was under the impression that as long as I'm within 30 days of the expiration, which I am, I can still renew without issue, but that apparently isn't the case. Since I'm going to renew the registration on Friday, will I be able to present proof of renewal and, pending any admin fees they decide to slap me with, get my license back before the court date? My primary concern is that I'm job seeking right now, and that license was one of my forms of ID. I realize the ticket is a temporary legal form of ID, I just don't want to show it off to potential employers. What are my options here?

ducttapeenthusiast on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Do you have a passport? I think that when a license is required for ID, a passport is usually also listed as something that you can show.

• Options
    No, I don't have a passport.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You should be able to get a state issued ID. Can you borrow money from your parents to cover the fee?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yeah passport was what i was going to suggest.

when i lost my license for driving without registration/inspection/insurance/under suspended license (money was uber tight at this point in time, I been there), i used my passport as my main ID. But that was up in Maine, i'm not entirely sure what the laws are in Illinois. Other than the state ID.

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Illinois takes your license for expired reg? That is brutal. I'd say getting the reg paid for and immediately going to court showing your proof of registration is your best bet, but that is crazy.

• Options
    That's my plan. It's just a matter of the courthouse not being jerks about it. No one on the phone in the city I'm supposed to go to will answer questions about it, but the main office downtown mentioned something called a motion to advance that I can file to see a judge immediately. We shall see, I'm going in today.

• Options
    Just to give an update, I stopped by the courthouse to see about clearing up the matter without waiting for my court date. Found out that I could get my license back for $140 bond, and I'd still have to show for the court date anyway. Screw that. I went out and got a state ID and has worked fine for me since. I go to court tomorrow, and I'm assuming that since I've completed registration and have proof in hand that this will be pretty cut and dry. Thread can be closed.