As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screenshots X: Beautifully Expressed; Poorly Compressed

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Delph and Ishtarr post too.

Plus that particular Cat Girl is @Sier.

Oh, name it Catgirl Pictures Power Hour.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I haven't been on much because of end of term stuff, but I am finally going to be done after today and can begin posting pictures again.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Shall I begin with my WoW characters transmogs?

I can do that.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Shall I begin with my WoW characters transmogs?

I can do that.

Please.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I figured Warlords would save us from the tyranny of blue catgirls.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe now that WoW has new character models we can get armor with some geometry?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Maybe now that WoW has new character models we can get armor with some geometry?

Not from what I've seen. The geometry seems limited to the Shoulder, Hats, Boots and Belts. Beyond that everything is still painted on from what I can tell. Which is kind of weird because the updated faces and such sort of pop compared to the armor.

I wonder if the engine itself is what causes the limitation or the adherence to the style? Not sure really but personally I haven't really been impressed with any of the character shots I've seen thus far (although the environments look really awesome!)

WoW has sort of always suffered from that "It looks really nice in motion" problem that a lot of games have. Even when I played it I never really liked or took screenshots because they always looked pretty crappy compared to seeing the game in motion.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

Nope, still spandex tube dresses all the way down.

And you all just wait for the actual wedding! (I'll probably just Twitch stream the entire thing tbh)

And and, it's not our fault that we happen to play a really pretty game! (<3's to GW2 and Tera as well)

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I knew they hadn't done it. I was asking if they were gonna.

• Options
    Yeah, I knew they hadn't done it. I was asking if they were gonna.

My guess would be there is some sort of engine limitation that is preventing it. It's not like they don't have a talented design team so it would have to be some sort of technical limitation.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A large number of plate legs (and others but I only play plate classes currently) have additional armor plates modeled onto the thighs.

EDIT: This is the only screen I have to illustrate. Note the added bulk on the legs.

Screenshot%2B2014-11-20%2B22.35.49.png

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    I've come to save you from a silly discussion!

My Hunter, decided to go with something different seeing as most dwarf hunters likely go the Giantstalker route.
    GGZaEul.jpg

Here's my Monk who is my main. Best current shot I had was from a cinematic from one of the dungeons.
    afngOlu.jpg

Not max level, and not a transmog but I'd just like to say the new models seem to also enjoy better lighting!
    eVYuCU2.jpg

Also behold why my Mage is a female gnome, BURN!
    7ax8U7G.jpg

• Options
    A large number of plate legs (and others but I only play plate classes currently) have additional armor plates modeled onto the thighs.

EDIT: This is the only screen I have to illustrate. Note the added bulk on the legs.

Sadly, that screenshot (And Arthil's) are not really helping your case here. They just sort of illustrate the issue.

Granted that's just my opinion, but it's a problem that's plagued WoW for pretty much ever (excusable many years ago because of technical limitations, but these days they really should do something about it.)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Various pieces of armor over time have added geometry to the models. At some point they added some new boot models, the aforementioned pants changes etc. There are new gloves this time around and some other bits. The art team seems fairly gungho about revamping character art.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I have no case. The question was if armor has geometry and the answer is yes.

I think WoW looks great and, for example, FFXIV looks awful. To each his own.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options

Fair enough :)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Sadly, that screenshot (And Arthil's) are not really helping your case here. They just sort of illustrate the issue.

Granted that's just my opinion, but it's a problem that's plagued WoW for pretty much ever (excusable many years ago because of technical limitations, but these days they really should do something about it.)

I'm seeing geometry, personally. Not as much as with some ofthe FFXIV stuff true, but it's there.
    vChWQWJ.jpg

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Nope, still spandex tube dresses all the way down.

And you all just wait for the actual wedding! (I'll probably just Twitch stream the entire thing tbh)

And and, it's not our fault that we happen to play a really pretty game! (<3's to GW2 and Tera as well)

Wha? GW2?

Oh sorry, I don't play normal GW2 anymore, see I beat all 8 stages of the special world and unlocked a new version of the game where everything is color rotated 270 degrees and the plant people are the bad guys.

Which is pretty similar to the normal game, actually.

tPCs804.jpg

naengwen on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    FF14 unquestioningly looks better than WoW to me, and hasn't exhausted the art style of its team either, which I sometimes feel WoW has. There is just a bigger ratio of cool looking gear in 14 than WoW, though there is a lot of really cool looking stuff in WoW still. It's just, equipment wise, there seems to be a higher majority of less cool looking stuff. But aesthetics are so subjective you can't really say what the cause of it might be.

Ultimately though I'm fine enough with the style in WoW that the difference doesn't matter. Stuff that looks good looks good, in either game. WoW can continue to look like WoW and it'll be fine. If I wanted 14's aesthetics, I'd just resub there.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    WoW is also a ten year old game, and thus can only improve the graphic fidelity but so much at one time.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Not to mention their art team is constantly working on new content too

That they've released a beautiful, good expansion while at the same time completely re-doing the original models is a pretty good accomplishment

Good on ya, art team

I'll still be really really unhappy if the new female blood elf weapon models have tiny tiny tiny weapons like they currently do

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm really attracted to the colorful style of WoW or GW2, so I can't get into the look of FF14.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    FFXIV characters all remind me of anime department store mannequins and everything looks like plastic to me.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I never really enjoyed WoW as a game but having been a Warcraft fan in general the art style has always been appealing.

As for GW2, I used this as my desktop background for a long time. The Shatterer is a bit of a letdown in terms of the actual mechanics of the fight, but visually it's one of my favorites.

pto7sdqn63yz.jpg

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

FFXIV from an objective technical perspective simply cannot be argued to 'look awful'. You might not like the art style/direction; but every single aspect of the engine for FFXIV is better than WoW's. It simply does look better in the same way that a 4k monitor looks better, from even just a purely technical perspective, than an old tube TV.

They just all require something to take advantage of their technical advantages.

But, since I play both, I'd also argue that trying to compare their art direction is like trying to compare whether or not an apple tastes better than a steak.

Anyway, from a geometry perspective....no.

WoD hasn't actually introduced any new geometry to player models, outside of the usual 3. There are 3 slots that can have unique geometry; helmets, shoulders and (since MoP) belts. And even among those, typically only epic items have actually unique models...and even then they're often shared not only across different texture variants, but over time they often reintroduce these as later xpack gear variants.

The 'padding' on legs were introduced in WotLK and made the grand total of leg geometry options 2, and that is still true.

Chests still have no geometry, nor do bracers.

Gloves have 3, maybe 4 if you include the no geometry variants. They have been the same since launch.

Boots are the same, 3; 4 if you count no geometry. WotLK was the last xpack to introduce a single new boot model.

I'm not saying that to knock WoW, really; I think it still looks pretty fantastic. While I'm not personally a fan of a lot of the 'new' models (they're very very hit or miss, though they are unarguably better from a technical standpoint), they most certainly don't add any new armor geometry options.

And to be fair, very very very few MMO's outside of FFXIV (and, incidentally, FFXI) have a massive number of geometry options, so it's not like WoW is doing anything out and out wrong or lazy. Their art designers are clearly very skilled and do sometimes pretty impressive things with the limitations they're given.

But then they do shit like the WoD LFR sets and gives fuel to the fire of people who claim WoW's art design is lazy.

Seriously, that shit is so bad.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I like some of the LFR sets! They just aren't as good as the tier stuff.

• Options
    What Cilla said, I think the models for the LFR sets are pretty cool looking personally.

• Options
    I look amazing, that is all.

4FsQjl5.jpg

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I just recently got into FFXIV, and I think it's the best looking game I've played

Lots of nice looking catgirls, too? (random pug from this morning)

0FFE7166044A771EDB57FC1E789A1AC9166EA574

Really looking forward to when I can wear pants again

Scooter on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    You're not wearing any pants. :<

• Options
    It's crazy

At 45 they give you most of the set, but hold back the last piece going "hope you don't mind the breeze for another five levels"

• Options
    Glamour is great for that, just ask @Echo‌

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    wb3wj6.jpg

Completed my transmog today.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    3QZJtn.jpg

Yeah, let me tell you how much I love level 45 to 50 White Mage.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You dress like a harlot, your parents would be ashamed.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    your

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    your

I know dammit! It has been a long day. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Glamour is great for that, just ask @Echo‌

No glamours til 50.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    My beautiful plant people:
    Eidolon Orchidaceae
    bvfqzi0nlw6b.jpg
    60h08exdy8bf.jpg

Dahlia Compositae
    kidzbiq7wrw4.jpg
    e5ajobmp098a.jpg

Also the ranger that looks like he belongs in Final Fantasy with that outfit
    hpk705uxj6be.jpg

• Options
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Glamour is great for that, just ask Echo‌

No glamours til 50.

Oh right. So sorry. At least you can find a HQ or Aethereal robe to cover your legs.