As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Circuit Breaker won't reset two of three rooms on circuit. (Fun update! Wiring problems?)

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm at a loss on this one. Came home to find that two rooms did not have electricity. One being my bedroom. The other has the router and all of that fantastic electronic junk. I reset the circuit as I've done a few times in the past when a space heater or something overloads things.

But nothing happened. Then I realized that the third bedroom on the same circuit has been working just fine. I turned everything off then on. Unplugged everything in the rooms. Still nothing. Does this mean there is a short somewhere or what could be the problem?

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Was the breaker tripped when you first came in? maybe the breaker is mislabeled and those two rooms are on different breakers. Do you have mice or something that might have bitten through a cable in your attic?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I don't think we have any mice. I can't say if the breaker was tripped already because I wasn't the first person home but I am inclined to believe that it was not tripped.

Certain there is no mislabel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You might have a circuit breaker tripped in the line in between the rooms, but i would guess its more likely that a line was cut or went bad somehow. is the wiring visible, like via an attic? if not, calling an electrician is probably going to be your only option.

only other thing to try that comes to mind, is unplug everything from the two dead rooms, trip the breaker again, then see if you have any power. maybe something you have connected is causing the problem.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    lordrellordrel Registered User regular
    Check your GFCI switches. They are the ones with the little reset and test buttons found in wet places like the bathroom. I found one on my front porch once that took out half my house when it was tripped.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    thats weird that the GFI would cover an entire house circuit.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    GFCI? I'll start looking for it.

I unplugged everything from all of the rooms and reset it. Tried all of the outlets in the dead rooms with a fan but no luck.

There isn't an attic or anywhere of that sort to see the exposed wiring. How much does an electrician call usually cost?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    assuming you double checked all the circuits and didn't just take their word for it?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    assuming you double checked all the circuits and didn't just take their word for it?

Whose word?

I'm going to move some things around in the basement and keep looking for the gfci.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    you said you were not the first person home. so it sounded like you got home, and someone told you the breakers tripped or something.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh. Yeah. No one was here when whatever happened happened.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    does the breaker fully engage to on? In my home when there is a constant short that is tripping the breaker, like when a Rat chewed through the wire for my water heater and ended up grounding it to itself, when I switched the breaker back over it immediately switches to off, if this isn't the case you could just have a bad breaker.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    It stays on.

Is it possible that there is no GFCI? I haven't been home to give a more precise search yet though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    First things first:

When you reset the breaker, did it immediately trip again?
    1) If so, you have a short somewhere on the line.
    2) You have tripped GFCI somewhere on the circuit. Check bathrooms, kitchens, anything with an electrical socket near water pretty much.
    3) The breaker has gone bad (very rare).

Do you have a multimeter?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    It stays on.

Is it possible that there is no GFCI? I haven't been home to give a more precise search yet though.

Very possible there is no GFCI depending on age of the home, we originally had none until we moved in and installed them in our bathroom. But the GFCI does not cause our entire house to lose power, just that power outlet so YMMV. I'm gonna guess your breaker is going bad, I'd check with a multimeter if you know how. I've never replaced a breaker before so I can't offer any advice on how to proceed if the breaker is bad, I've only ever installed new outlets.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    It stays on.

GFCI in residential settings tend to be integrated right into the outlet. They're most common in bathrooms and around places you'd have faucets. If it doesn't have something on the outlets then you likely don't have one.

Depending on your savvy and willingness to eat line voltage you could swap the breaker with one that works and find out if it's that. If that sounds scary to you I wouldn't do it. If you do it make sure the main power to the entire house is off while your working on it. I wouldn't have high hopes for it working though, it doesn't sound right for what you're describing.

Sadly, this looks like it's an actual electrician's kind of problem.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if you're saying that the breaker is tripped, or if the circuit just isn't on.

You need to describe the breaker action! There are three states in the breaker, On, Tripped, and Off. When a breaker is tripped, you need to push it fully Off first, then turn it On. When you do this, do you hear a clicking noise as the breaker resets to Tripped? If so, your problem is NOT a bad breaker, and is likely your wiring somewhere.

You said there were three bedrooms on this circuit? One currently on (Bedroom A) and two off (Bedrooms B,C)? If you turn the breaker OFF, will bedroom A go dark? (Just make sure its the right circuit). If it does, then you most assuredly have a loose splice (Wire connection), or an oddly damaged wire somewhere between A and B/C.

Has anything been hung on any walls lately? Small framing nails/screws inside the walls? Any major vibration going on? (It IS the bedroom ;) ) Roadwork, etc can all destroy an already damaged wire, and if it breaks JUST right it won't actually trip anything.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Well I finally had a chance to do a big time search for the GFCI and no luck. It's a late 70's bi-level home so I'm sure it's about time for the wiring to go.

@Slo I don't think the breaker ever tripped in the first place after putting the story together. I think my mother just assumed the circuit had tripped and went downstairs to flip some switches in hopes of resetting it. There is a click when the breaker moves from off to on. And that does turn off all 3 bedrooms.

In a very odd turn of events a small desk lamp was left plugged into one of the powerless bedrooms in the on position. While doing some cleaning today I walked by and saw that there was light coming from the bedroom.

So in my massive stupidity I thought it'd be a good idea to see if anything else would work in the same outlet instead of methodically testing the room I plugged in a surge protector thinking that it was off. Quick electrical buzz and now we're back to where we started.

Considering the haste and stupidity of my last move I'll definitely end up trying to get a proper electrician. Is it sound to guess at this point that something has gone wrong with the wiring?

I'm still totally baffled as to what would cause that lamp to turn on. Also I should say that nothing tripped when I plugged in the surge protector (it had a few things in it. I really wasn't thinking) it just didn't work. Then the lamp wouldn't either.

Should I perhaps look into a voltage tester of some sort at the home depot to definitely narrow things down?

@devoitlyapathetic any idea how much these sorts of electrical jobs run? I'm moving out next week and my mother plans to be into a new place by the winter. Are we looking at a few months of rent for the wiring work?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alright so I was in the bedroom with the lamp. Went to grab something below a desk and as I bend down the floor creeks and the lamp turns on.

Not sure if that was a matter of timing and my moving about was just random correlation or if there could be more to it. I haven't plugged anything else in or unplugged the lamp. I'll wait for some input before making another move.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    It sounds to me (decidedly not an electrician) like there is something wrong with the wiring. Turn the relevant breakers back to 'off' to minimize the risk of fire and get an electrician.

• Options
    As an electrician, I'd say ya, someone should probably take a peak at your house. As a curious person, i'd turn off the breaker in question, take that particular plug off the wall and have a look at the connections inside, there's a 10$ tool you can get that looks like a fat pen that glows/beeps when around live electricity, called a voltage tester. It doesn't sound like damaged wire, as that would normally fault the breaker. It's quite possible the problem could be fixed by a quick tightening of a screw. In either case, I'd turn the breaker off until you either find the problem, or get someone in to do it.

*There can be other live circuits behind the plug other than the one you turn off, don't get zapped, always be careful, if you want to explore, get the tester.*

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, I have no idea on costs DUE. I work in a manufacturing plant, you're at the point where I'd call up Lenny whose job is to deal with this kind of stuff.

Slo's giving super good advice.

I'm a little curious, is this an apartment or your family home? If it's an apartment I'm really unclear why cost is your concern at all. This is exactly the kind of stuff that is a landlord's concern. So long as you weren't filling the room with a shitload of space heaters or something I don't see how this could be anything like your fault.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Family home on the decline. Just trying to keep it going a bit longer until my mother has the resources to move out to an apartment of her own.

I'll run out and pick up the voltage tester but what should I be looking for in particular? There's definitely electricity in the room but it's very temperamental to say the least.

edit: before turning off the bedrooms i checked to see if the outlets were working while that lamp was on. every outlet works but I haven't touched the one with the lamp plugged into it. i'm starting to think that that would be a good place to start looking for the problem?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AC_Voltage_Tester.jpg
    Or similar.

Really, for the odd test, the cheap ones will do. A touchless one is best though (no metal leads that you actually touch) Just rub it on a sweater/shirt to see if static makes it flicker. That means you have it on and it's working :P
    01-outlet-terms.jpg
    So, instead of splicing wires together, some folk used to use the terminals of the plug to connect the circuit (As there are two of them, IN and OUT) If the IN wire of that sucker is loose that'd be your problem. Take a picture if you can't see an obvious problem!

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Ok. I have some training in this both from family and a past profession. If you are certain that they are all on the same circuit the breaker is not bad, in regards to supplying power. it's an all or nothing proposition. If you have any power the breaker is in the open state. Doesnt mean its a good breaker for sure, just that it isnt the cause of your problem specifically. You could have lost a leg though. This means you likely lost a wire headed back to the panel. If it was a short as some have said the breaker should trip, if its good. if the broken wire is farther along into the house it should be localized to an outlet or two not a whole two rooms,same for a GFI. If you are uncomfortable pulling breakers, testing circuits and tracing wires...you need to call a licensed electrician and you need to leave that breaker off. The fact that you imply it occasionally makes a connection by you fiddling around in the room makes me concerned that its a fire hazard, as it could eventually arc and ignite something.

If you are comfortable I would grab a flashlight, throw the disconnect on the whole house and pull the breaker, look for any wire that may be disconnected, if everything looks good then you buy a circuit tester and test all the lines...again this is dangerous to do if you are not comfortable doing this sort of thing....if you're at all uncertain call a professional.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Slo wrote: »
    AC_Voltage_Tester.jpg
    Or similar.

Really, for the odd test, the cheap ones will do. A touchless one is best though (no metal leads that you actually touch) Just rub it on a sweater/shirt to see if static makes it flicker. That means you have it on and it's working :P
    01-outlet-terms.jpg
    So, instead of splicing wires together, some folk used to use the terminals of the plug to connect the circuit (As there are two of them, IN and OUT) If the IN wire of that sucker is loose that'd be your problem. Take a picture if you can't see an obvious problem!

Wait am I reading this wrong? I thought I he said he is losing a whole two rooms?

• Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Slo wrote: »
    AC_Voltage_Tester.jpg
    Or similar.

01-outlet-terms.jpg

Wait am I reading this wrong? I thought I he said he is losing a whole two rooms?

Two rooms, when a single plug is fiddled with.

• Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    Outlets are often run inline. If you have a problem with the box for an outlet early on in the series, then the boxes further on could cease to function. the usual culprit is a badly pigtailed wire. The wire is inside the connector, but is loose enough that it can intermittently lose or gain a connection.

In this random google image search result, the wire pigtails are shown tied together with the yellow connectors.
    2010-02-03_200241_Pigtail_outlet.jpg

If there are more than 2 wires connected by each connector, such as in this picture, your outlets are probably daisy-chained and a loose connection is likely the source of the problem.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The outlet that is causing the bad connection MAY STILL WORK. The wire might be connected to the outlet, but not connected to the leg that travels further down the line. Therefore it can be helpful to check not only the outlet which seems to be the source, but also the outlets next to it. Since you don't always know which way the feed runs, you may have to check all of your outlets in hopes of a resolution.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: Turn off the power before you fiddle with these things! I know this is obvious but it cannot be stated enough times!

Small electrical problems like this are usually within the realm of things a methodical and careful homeowner can fix. Turn off the juice, take apart the outlet you think is causing it all, see if any of the wires pull willingly out of the wire nut connectors. If they do, carefully unscrew the connector and make sure everything is in there securely when you reattach it. pliers help to get the wires straight and lying next to each other. Insulated pliers help to make you feel better even though the power is off.

• Options
    Ahh...I didnt see where he had traced it back to a single outlet.

Addendum to Pel's statement...I have also seen in older homes where someone chained back to the wrong side of a switch. Bought an old home and when I turned of my basement lights it turned off the outlet in my living room because they shared a wall and the previous home owner didnt chain them together properly.

If your house is chained together like this, it is feasable that a switch can be the culprit should all the outlets check out.

• Options
    Thanks for all of the updates guys. I've been popping into the thread but I haven't had a chance to reply as i'm in the process of moving out of the problem home and into my own place.

It looks like a loose connection was the source of the problem after all. The outlet had been more or less sinking back into the wall for the last 20 something years. There were all kinds of pig-tailed wires behind the scenes and an enormous amount of dust bunnies to boot. I did my best to put everything in a more secure position and so far electricity has resumed as normal.

Now i'm really concerned about all of this fire hazard talk though. Is there a way I can make sure everything is safe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes and at the same time no. In regards to this specific outlet, make sure that you use proper wire connectors. If any of those splices are held together by Electrical tape they should be replaced immediately, tape simply doesnt last for ever. From your description of the situation it might not hurt to replace the outlet as well, they are cheap and easy to install, also you can install a box behind the outlet to help with the sinking problem. These are also inexpensive and can be found near the conduit section in any hardware store. It will require a little spackling afterwords as the box will likely be bigger than the outlet, but it might be worth it.
    That should be more than enough for this outlet, might even be over kill.

Still it does open a bit of a can of worms, things like outlets, switches, stuff like that are not really designed to be in a house for 30+ years. Not to mention any wiring what may have been run improperly by current standards, it might not hurt to poke around a little bit and be more proactive about further issues.

• Options
    Quite a few houses have silly things with their electrical, I'm glad you found the problem, but outside of ripping out all the drywall and checking everything from scratch, there isn't much you can do. Fire hazards are prevented by working breakers. Just always remember to THINK before you turn the breaker back on. "Did I overload it by plugging a toaster and a microwave into my 900 watt computer cooling system power bar?" Is fine, and good, but under normal daily use, if there are problems, turn it off, try to find the problem, and if you can't fix the situation, call an electrician. Never ever ever just reset the breaker continuously.