As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows XP on multiple machines?

TreebeardsterTreebeardster Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm curious, can you install windows xp using the same serial key on more than one computer. I have recnetly had a new computer added to my house (mine), and would hate to have to buy another copy, even though they are somewhat cheap.

BOCsig.jpg
Treebeardster on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think its not legal, but am pretty sure you can do it, you just have to deactivate updates on one machine.

LewieP on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Could anyone clarify this further? the XP home that came with my laptop got scratched very badly and has a hard time reading, but my XP home that came with my desktop reads fine. What would I have to do to put that version of XP on the laptop. Would I just have to turn off automatic updates on the desktop? I e-mailed Dell earlier about getting another XP install disc but I'm going to assume they will say nope, but upgrade to vista today!

I'm hoping Dell just gets another one to me, or I find a work around, as this machine needs a reformat and I'm afraid to go through that scratched install again.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    XP pro actually contains 2 licenses if you read the agreement.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Could anyone clarify this further? the XP home that came with my laptop got scratched very badly and has a hard time reading, but my XP home that came with my desktop reads fine. What would I have to do to put that version of XP on the laptop. Would I just have to turn off automatic updates on the desktop? I e-mailed Dell earlier about getting another XP install disc but I'm going to assume they will say nope, but upgrade to vista today!

I'm hoping Dell just gets another one to me, or I find a work around, as this machine needs a reformat and I'm afraid to go through that scratched install again.

It isn't hard to get a new install disc, what you need is the product key. 99% of the time it is located on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If it's not on the bottom it will be in the documentation that came with the computer. There are many places where you can find an OEM XP disc and just use your product key that came with it.

You can order a new disc from Dell, but they usually charge somewhere around $40 for it, which is bogus because the disc itself is worth nothing. You can legally get a copied XP OEM disc as long as you use your legal license key.

For the OP, it is illegal to install XP on more than one machine unless specified (like on SOME versions of XP Pro, but as a general rule, and with all OEM (aka, came with the computer, not bought seperately) it is only licensed for that one computer it came with, no others.)

We have to just stick with saying you can't install it on more than one. Talking about doing so and disabling *this or that* is piracy, therefor not something we can condone or go into (might edit your post LewieP, just due to forum rules).

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »

No, it doesn't. You're thinking of Office.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nocturne wrote: »

It isn't hard to get a new install disc, what you need is the product key. 99% of the time it is located on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If it's not on the bottom it will be in the documentation that came with the computer. There are many places where you can find an OEM XP disc and just use your product key that came with it.

You can order a new disc from Dell, but they usually charge somewhere around $40 for it, which is bogus because the disc itself is worth nothing. You can legally get a copied XP OEM disc as long as you use your legal license key.

For the OP, it is illegal to install XP on more than one machine unless specified (like on SOME versions of XP Pro, but as a general rule, and with all OEM (aka, came with the computer, not bought seperately) it is only licensed for that one computer it came with, no others.)

We have to just stick with saying you can't install it on more than one. Talking about doing so and disabling *this or that* is piracy, therefor not something we can condone or go into (might edit your post LewieP, just due to forum rules).

So what you are saying is I can use any install disc, just as long as I use my original product key (which i still have)? If this is true that's great news.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Of course you can do that. You bought a licence, the disk is just something useful they bundled with it.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    MrIamMe wrote: »

No, it doesn't. You're thinking of Office.

Originally you could - I just looked at my EULA. It got modified with service pack two after the 2 processors it now reads "on one computer".

So if you use 4 processors YOU ARE FUCKED!

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

As long as it's the same version of Windows (Home/XP) you can install it on your Lappy legally. The Product Key for Windows is hardwired into newer Dell laptops, so you can install Windows from any CD that is the same version.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you can. And if your activations are used up, all you have to do is call them to get it activated.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nocturne wrote: »

So what you are saying is I can use any install disc, just as long as I use my original product key (which i still have)? If this is true that's great news.

Yes... but only if the disc you have is the same version. A product key for, say, XP Home won't work on XP Pro. If they're both XP Home, it should work fine.

It's both perfectly functional and perfectly legal to install on two machines off one disc, as long as you enter the appropriate product keys for each machine.

Funny thing you find out when you work at a help desk. When you work for a place that has a site license (i.e. a license for every computer at the business), they only send you one Windows disc. The expect you to make copies for your technicians.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the help!

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Funny thing you find out when you work at a help desk. When you work for a place that has a site license (i.e. a license for every computer at the business), they only send you one Windows disc. The expect you to make copies for your technicians.

A "site license" would be Volume Licensing, which does work pretty much like that. The media, though, is different from retail or OEM media, in that it allows any VL key of that product family to be used an unlimited number of times. To be legal companies keep this within the number of licenses purchased. Some VL products are "pre-PIDed" and don't require a product key. These keys and media are like crack-laced diamonds to software pirates, so are closely guarded, pursued, and the like (in theory) by MS and VL customers.

VL media doesn't activate either; the key just unlocks the program without calling in. Vista is the one exception to this, but still allows for either bulk or in-house activations, rather than a one call per machine structure.

In all cases, an OS license is a "Device" license that allows one instance at a time. The closest thing to an exception are Server 2003 Enterprise and Vista Enterprise, which allow four virtual installs with a fith physical for hosting.

http://www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com has some interesting stuff, if you're into reading things like old-school RPG rules or legal documents.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg