As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Zombies] Send...more...Alices...

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
So this new movie's out today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fetL5JuKGv4

...and in October we'll get this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_bGpe9qE8

...and I watched the 1990 version of this recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85C2JnZOY4k

So I got zombies pretty much picking away at my brains, enough that I wanna start a thread talking about them and their stories; the good, the bad and the close-but-not-quite zombies. I can't be the only fan here so come shuffling in like true zombies and express your love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoyYiA-9UnI

Oh, and your opinion on how legit or crap this simulation turned out.

Owenashi on

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Only zombies that matter now are the Chryssalid zombies.

Regular zombies are sissies in comparison.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Didn't the world end in a zombie apocalypse like three resident evil movies ago? What are they still doing?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Didn't the world end in a zombie apocalypse like three resident evil movies ago? What are they still doing?

Extinction: Hey, let's go dick around in the desert for a bit then unleash a clone army on Umbrella!

Afterlife: Hey, let's completely remove the clone army from the equation, take Alice's powers away, then have everybody dick around in a prison for a bit before rescuing a ship full of innocent people, which we'll blow up with an army of Umbrella gunships!

Retribution: Hey, let's [poor plot decision], [worse plot decisions], then have everybody dick around in [a suitably edgy and modern sci-fi thriller setting], before [introducing another plot point that'll somehow evaporate within the first ten minutes of the next film].

Seriously, who the ever loving fuck keeps giving Paul W.S. Anderson the money to do these things?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks the new Resident Evil movie looks like complete and utter garbage.

like hilariously awful.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm mad at the new Resident Evil movie. I thought I was gonna see Raiders of the Lost Ark on IMAX today, but nooooo the Resident Evil sequel took the lone IMAX screen over because apparently people like their shitfests in giant pseudo-3d.

So basically everyone loses.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Seriously, who the ever loving fuck keeps giving Paul W.S. Anderson the money to do these things?

Well Anderson's getting enough to film at least one more since I heard his (current) plans for the RE-film series is six films and Retribution's number five. If you don't like watching any of them though, you can always wait for this RE film to come here to the States.

http://youtu.be/8JqMtbzibUk

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    In the interest of full disclosure, I am probably gonna try to get in to see Retribution at some point.

Don't look at me like that, I can ironically enjoy things!

Oh, fuck, what am I doing with my life...?

[IMG][/img]
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Are the Underworld movies and RE movies made by the same people
    because goddamn do they look the exact same

Oh, hey that RE Retribution trailer looks like it actually has a zombie in it. I saw a commercial the other day that was 30 seconds of corset kung fu and just figured they'd gone their own way with it like 3 movies ago.

Maybe Redeemer knows what's going on?

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I still like the original RE movie but I have also never seen the other ones. They looked really really stupid.

I do like Mila Jovaich a lot though. She seems like a cool cat.

steam_sig.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I enjoy the RE movies. They are exactly what I expect.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    #pipe wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks the new Resident Evil movie looks like complete and utter garbage.

like hilariously awful.

I don't know which one I watched after the first one, but it was hilarious. It was either the second or third, and it was wondrously bad.

iwantanswers3.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Someone was bugging me to go to the midnight for Redemption and I had to think of really nice roundabout ways to say "why?"

Actually I had work in the morning and probably would have gone if I didn't, but I did have to fight the impulse to give a weird look.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Underworld > RE movies, IMHO.

though I've yet to see the last Underworld (Evolution?)

I have the first two RE movies on DVD and I like them fine. I get fans of the games being upset over them from Apocalypse-onward but they're a lot easier to take as long as you don't try to view watch them with the intent of pointing out how much is different from the games' stories and canon. It helps that I like watching them most of the time with the commentary tracks on since they're pretty entertaining with Milla Jovovich joking around with the others in the booth, having fun watching the movie and recounting how they were made.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I watched and enjoyed the first two, but never saw any of the later ones after the trailers stopped making any sense.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    fuck all of you i will watch this and have a hoot watching it because i enjoy watching dumb terrible movies for the sheer spectacle of how stupid they are

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks every Resident Evil movie looks like complete and utter garbage.

like hilariously awful.

Also World War Z and the Walking Dead are the only zombie media I've actively enjoyed. Never got into Left For Dead.

walking dead the comic sucks my left asscheek

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Left 4 Dead 1/2 are definitely my favorite zombie games. I could play that series forever.

I doubt The Last Of Us really counts as a zombie game - though it has zombie apocalypse elements to it - but I'm pretty excited to play that when it comes out.

iwantanswers3.png
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-resident-evil-movies-are-better-than-games/

Funniest thing about this is that the site is completely fucking littered with ads for the new Resident Evil movie

vEaRQgH.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Confession: I liked Land of the Dead.

Although one character is supposedly mentally challenged but his one and only problem seems to be that he doesn't know the word for fireworks. But I guess mental problems can be subtle though I dunno.

kingworks wrote: »
    Underworld > RE movies, IMHO.

though I've yet to see the last Underworld (Evolution?)

The editing in Underworld 2 was almost as bad as Van Helsing. I don't know if it was actually called Underworld 2. Let's call it Underworld: The Beast Within.

edited September 2012
    I really need to see Land Of The Dead as well as the following two Dead movies. Hopefully I can find DVDs for them and the two RE movies I don't have in Best Buy cheap. Speaking of Land Of The Dead, I watched an LP (not this particular one) for a licensed game based on the movie. It's not long (the LP I watched clocked in at 3 hours and change) but I could see it turned into a decent XBLA/PSN game with some gameplay tweaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINn4dWKwPA

Owenashi on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I do enjoy the UW and RE movies, mind you

But then I also think the Transformers movies have redeeming elements so disregard me

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I suppose I have to give the RE movies credit for going completely stupid crazy in a totally different way from how the games went completely stupid crazy

But Jesus they're almost unintelligible now

But they must keep making money!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-resident-evil-movies-are-better-than-games/

Funniest thing about this is that the site is completely fucking littered with ads for the new Resident Evil movie

They insulted Barry and Leon? For shame.

Yes, Leon is a nancyboy idiot who everyone in the secret service secretly hates. But he's also on the short list of people who know how to have fun in a zombie apocalypse.

And he german suplexes zombie monks after shooting them in the head with a magnum. Can't hate a guy who does that.

Fun fact: the first Resident Evil movie was originally going to be written and directed by George Romero but they didn't like his script so he was fired. Apparently his script hues to the games pretty closely.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That fact isn't fun at all.

Its actually rather disheartening.

NNID: Rehab0
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Except for the second I've enjoyed all the RE movies as guilty pleasures. I'll be seeing Retribution tonight.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Should have said the Telltale Walking Dead game. I haven't seen the show or read the comic.

What I like about Romero's first four Dead films is that they all have the same basic premise - humans holed up with a bunch of zombies outside - and yet they all have their own ideas and feel completely different from each other. (I haven't seen Diary yet.)

My main complaint about the RE movies isn't that they're stupid (that's kind of a given) it's that they're boring. They're movies where a supermodel kicks the shit out of zombies, I shouldn't be bored!

Although, granted that might just be the first couple of movies as I haven't seen any of the newer ones.

vEaRQgH.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The most boring part is that Alice is basically a tiny God who is never really under any real threat.

And she has perfect aim and combat prowess and they keep inventing abilities for her.

NNID: Rehab0
    I just remember seeing the characters surrounded by hundreds of zombies, basically just standing around while Alice killed them with a bunch awkward kung-fu maneuvers. There was also one guy who got pulled into an elevator filled with zombies and he came back as one, with nothing but little scratches and bite marks on him.

vEaRQgH.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    What I like about Romero's first four Dead films is that they all have the same basic premise - humans holed up with a bunch of zombies outside - and yet they all have their own ideas and feel completely different from each other. (I haven't seen Diary yet.)
    Yeah, Romero's zombie movies (at least up through Land) differ from the imitators in that they use zombies allegorically, instead of just throwing them out there and generically regurgitating the same old halfassed themes as most every other zombie movie. I mean, Land isn't exactly a "good" movie per se, but at least it's actually about something.

all movies are "about" something

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Rehab wrote: »
    The most boring part is that Alice is basically a tiny God who is never really under any real threat.

And she has perfect aim and combat prowess and they keep inventing abilities for her.

Let me tell you about Albert Wesker

A man who is SO ZOMBIE he can TELEPORT

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png