As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] Seven

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Bleh I was in the middle of a post.

Anyway, summary:

Galaxy Quest didn't cost much to make so it's initial box office run was actually a financial success. Even before the cult following that built up later.

And the list of awards and nominations from the science fiction community is actually quite impressive. It was a love poem to science fiction fans, and it was very well received by them.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Yeah, Galaxy Quest made fun, but it was loving fun.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    It also featured Zaeed Massanni as its villain.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    holy shit, it did

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i'm going to watch Galaxy Quest again.

I wonder if it's on Netflix here.

...yessssss it is

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I should go watch it again!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Damn weeaboos.

Did someone just say "weeaboo"?
    'Cause i think i just heard someone say "Weeaboo"...

The guy rolling sushi isn't thinking "I MUST PUT EVERY OUNCE OF MY BEING INTO MAKING THIS DELICIOUS SNACK!" He's thinking "Yup, this is some fish and rice, alright."

Haha, what? I'm confused.

Someone mentioned something about how sushi chefs were true craftsmen and strive for perfection in every simple task. I call BS on that.

that was Thom, talking about Jiro Dreams of Sushi, which is a documentary about the world's best living sushi chef

Correct. You'll also note that I only talked about Jiro Ono. As a general rule, one does not find Michelin stars in a cracker jack box. One of the requirements for Michelin stars is consistency which comes from attention to detail. You can't merely be amazing one night. You have to be amazing all of the time. That's why I mentioned Alain Ducasse, who also has picked up three Michelin stars. And really when you watch any chief at that level, consistency and attention to detail is a requirement. The same with master woodworkers. Or shipwrights.

You'll note that I didn't say all sushi chiefs were amazing gods of cooking. I didn't say most of them. I was referring to a single one. But I understand where you came from. It's the internet and god forbid you actually read what you're responding to. Or ask a question. It might slow down your response time for saying silly goose things.

By the way, I also finished a documentary on Senna. So if you need another quick shot, do feel free to just assume I think all Brazilians are amazing race car drivers.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    It's very cool to see this film getting some love. Too many people I know don't even remember it.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    i'm going to watch Galaxy Quest again.

I wonder if it's on Netflix here.

...yessssss it is

Holy shit it is?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    It's not on Instant for me ;(

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    holy shit, it did

I remember rewatching it shortly after my initial run of Mass Effect 2, recognizing his voice, and trying to rack my brain in an effort to remember whether or not he says "big goddamn heros" during the course of the film.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    It's very cool to see this film getting some love. Too many people I know don't even remember it.

I forced my mother to watch it. She was all "waaahhh I don't even like star trek blah blah"

Of course she was rollin the whole time and loved it.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Damn weeaboos.

The guy rolling sushi isn't thinking "I MUST PUT EVERY OUNCE OF MY BEING INTO MAKING THIS DELICIOUS SNACK!" He's thinking "Yup, this is some fish and rice, alright."

Someone mentioned something about how sushi chefs were true craftsmen and strive for perfection in every simple task. I call BS on that.

that was Thom, talking about Jiro Dreams of Sushi, which is a documentary about the world's best living sushi chef

Correct. You'll also note that I only talked about Jiro Ono. As a general rule, one does not find Michelin stars in a cracker jack box. One of the requirements for Michelin stars is consistency which comes from attention to detail. You can't merely be amazing one night. You have to be amazing all of the time. That's why I mentioned Alain Ducasse, who also has picked up three Michelin stars. And really when you watch any chief at that level, consistency and attention to detail is a requirement. The same with master woodworkers. Or shipwrights.

You'll note that I didn't say all sushi chiefs were amazing gods of cooking. I didn't say most of them. I was referring to a single one. But I understand where you came from. It's the internet and god forbid you actually read what you're responding to. Or ask a question. It might slow down your response time for saying silly goose things.

By the way, I also finished a documentary on Senna. So if you need another quick shot, do feel free to just assume I think all Brazilians are amazing race car drivers.

It's interesting to me that Japanese culture is capable of producing multiple viewpoints on that particular point. My main pet hate for people talking about Japan, whether Japanese people or not, is the idea that it's monolithic - that they're the Borg. But many Japanese people satirise those who mythologise Japanese culture. While still partaking of it themselves, of course. Just people. Lots of different people. LOTS of different people.

And I'm sure Jiro himself would laugh at that satirical sushi video, and that the makers would love his food and restaurant.

I am just wondering now if I am going to be able to go there ever, or if the popularising from the movie will make it completely impossible.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Toronto is pretty awesome so far! I seem to have
    landed during a Polish festival, which has been fun, as they closed the street and there was beer. Although I have been awake for nearly 24 hours!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Toronto is pretty awesome so far! I seem to have
    landed during a Polish festival, which has been fun, as they closed the street and there was beer. Although I have been awake for nearly 24 hours!

I am drinking Polish wodka in honor of my Polish heritage

Although the Polish liquor part isn't really important as the drinking liquor part in that regard

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Although I have been awake for nearly 24 hours!

Don't worry about it. Canada's a weird place, the days are 30 hours there thanks to metrification.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Thank god I didn't go into town today. According to tumblr it's something called "hempfest". I don't think I would've been able to surpress my "beat hippies" subroutine.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Like, I don't care if people smoke pot, just, have the decency to not stank up the place.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Damn weeaboos.

It's interesting to me that Japanese culture is capable of producing multiple viewpoints on that particular point. My main pet hate for people talking about Japan, whether Japanese people or not, is the idea that it's monolithic - that they're the Borg. But many Japanese people satirise those who mythologise Japanese culture. While still partaking of it themselves, of course. Just people. Lots of different people. LOTS of different people.

And I'm sure Jiro himself would laugh at that satirical sushi video, and that the makers would love his food and restaurant.

I am just wondering now if I am going to be able to go there ever, or if the popularising from the movie will make it completely impossible.

I'm sure he would laugh at that video, he struck me as a man with a sense of humor. Also a man who isn't a big believer in overly rigid customs. He mentions being told that nothing new could be done with sushi and then doing new things with it. It ultimately seemed like he wanted to simply create a beautiful experience for his customers. I'm fairly sure some guy doing sushi on a conveyer belt probably doesn't care quite as much. Or the guy doing it in the supermarket probably may not care at all. But Jiro clearly does quite passionately.

And it's a documentary. It might bump up his traffic and you have to do reservations a month in a half instead of a month but I suspect you could still get in.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    During a party, someone decided to take a shit in our dormitory.

I mean, seriously... who the fuck does that? Wtf?!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That's common any time people think about people who are different. People are really bad at realizing that, while cultures are all different, they're also all the same. At least insofar as being made up of people who act like people, with their own thoughts and emotions and idiosyncrasies and bias and intergroup conflict and everything.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    During a party, someone decided to take a shit in our dormitory.

I mean, seriously... who the fuck does that? Wtf?!

I peed on someone's door my freshman year of college.

It was a combination of copious amounts of alcohol and revenge because they had peed on my friends' door. Unfortunately, in my drunken stupor I got the wrong door.

• Options
    Damn weeaboos.

I'm sure he would laugh at that video, he struck me as a man with a sense of humor. Also a man who isn't a big believer in overly rigid customs. He mentions being told that nothing new could be done with sushi and then doing new things with it. It ultimately seemed like he wanted to simply create a beautiful experience for his customers. I'm fairly sure some guy doing sushi on a conveyer belt probably doesn't care quite as much. Or the guy doing it in the supermarket probably may not care at all. But Jiro clearly does quite passionately.

And it's a documentary. It might bump up his traffic and you have to do reservations a month in a half instead of a month but I suspect you could still get in.

I gotta be honest I see some really beautiful sushi even at the supermarket here. There's clearly a lot of effort put into it even when it's $4.99 for a tuna roll. You work with what you have to work with, I guess.

Being that I'm in a landlocked state I'm always skeptical. I've broken down and eaten some on multiple occasions (mostly drunken) and it's been okay and I never suffered for it. Damn does it look nice when it's 11pm and you're hammered.

Doesn't compare to the good sushi joints here where you won't walk out for under $40, but the presentation is usually close enough.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I detest the three-tier system to alcohol distribution.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

It is basically the worst thing.

Also, cheevo cheeved, thanks jaykub

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This chick goes to a lot of parties.

Invite me to the parties, chick :(.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

It is basically the worst thing.

Also, cheevo cheeved, thanks jaykub

Yeah, I can agree here.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

Yeah, at no point did that game actually look good.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Winky wrote: »

She'd invite you but you'd just attack the host and then the crowd would turn on the both of you and she'd lose her diamond sword.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I don't normally crosspost from other fora but this was genius
    Who is credited with inventing the fictional races that we play in Everquest?

Someone said that Halflings, Elves, Dwarves and Goblins were all originally created
    by J.R.R. Tolkien but another source says they were originally created by the people
    who made Dungeons & Dragons.

So does that mean that Everquest wouldn't even exist without JRR Tolkiens
    contributions to the genre of fantasy?

Replies:
    For further reference, elves were of Irish legend; dwarves, gnomes, and trolls from Germany/Scandinavia; barbarians from Braveheart; erudites from Washington, DC.
    I think these races and stories exist in every adolescent male virgin who has ever lived, and that is why they are timeless.

Think about it, Tolkien's inspiration for Gollum comes from long years spent in the deepest and darkest of basements, channeling innately subconscious notions of elves, faeries, and dragons.

The ring represents his virginity, a concept that engulfs him with obsession and slowly destroys his soul, until it is finally taken from him by a short-but-charming middle-aged man. I'm sure we can all relate.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

She'd invite you but you'd just attack the host and then the crowd would turn on the both of you and she'd lose her diamond sword.

If zombie pigmen didn't want to be attacked then they shouldn't be so ugly.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    much as he would wait to admit it, I don't think you get Michael Moorcock without Tolkien. Nor Jack Vance.

But the "typical fantasy" tropes from RPGs are not really tolkienesq. They are more based on all those writers who came after him either in imitation or reaction.

edit: Warhammer in particular is very, very influenced by Moorcock (like, nearly to the point of plagarism) while D&D is very Jack Vance.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    It's dumb. If I want to buy wine from a vineyard, first, I have to see if the source state has an exchange agreement for the direct sales. If that isn't a thing, I have to figure out the retail outfit that has a deal with a state distributor, and then try not to choke on the extreme mark-up; before making a decision if I can afford it or not.

/grrrr, fkn fall-out from prohibition

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

I like how the second reply has a busty furry avatar.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The worst part is that sexy fox lady brings a lot of facts and insightful criticism.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    The worst part is that sexy fox lady brings a lot of facts and insightful criticism.

Do not let her massive tits nor her shapely snout distract you from her intellect.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    fuck yes

I was kind of bummed about missing out on the new Sim City because of Origin

now I can happily ignore the new Sim City because of Origin

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Do not let her massive tits nor her shapely snout distract you from her intellect.

Oh internet

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I feel very deeply as though I should be doing something, anything, social and/or constructive right now.

But I think I just kind of want to play vidya games.

Okay peeps I need some serious votes here:
    (1) Drawing
    (2) Programming
    (3) Veedja Gaymes

This discussion has been closed.