Options

Any Yahoo/AT&T POP e-mail users out there? Having problems, or is it just me?

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been using the same two bellsouth.net e-mail addresses for almost a decade now, via Mac Mail.

Last night both accounts are repeatedly asking for an password, and I can verify that I'm typing it correctly as it works in the webmail version.

Is anyone else having problems? Or is just something on my end?

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    My mom and I have been having periodic issues with Yahoo's mail service (yes, we had AT&T before, and these addresses are att.net) for like six months or more now. Googling indicates it's definitely a problem on their end. I don't know what the hell they've done, but my mom sometimes has issues retrieving her mail for over an hour with the errors, and I have the same problem for a couple minutes at least once a week myself (maybe because I just wait a while before trying again, I dunno). Both of us are using a POP client (SeaMonkey's mail client; my mom's on an OSX 10.3 Mac I believe and I'm on Windows 7). Sometimes I get a "wrong password" error, sometimes I get "maildrop busy" (the latter is probably what's actually going on when I get the other error). Now, the good news is, you WILL be able to retrieve your mail again if you wait. The bad news is, this crap is going to keep happening. I don't know if AT&T or Yahoo knows about the problem, because I think last I checked I couldn't find anywhere to give a bug report (but I haven't tried all that hard).

Right now I'm able to get my e-mail via POP if that helps. But I don't remember if it happens to everyone at once or not. It's pretty inconsistent.

Essee on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Thanks for an actual response, I was expecting "Durr, switch to Gmail." any moment now.

And fact of the matter is that I'd love to switch to gmail (or anything else), but I've got a mailbox on my Mac here that's been carried over from 2003 and I really don't want to go through the trouble of archiving it and starting from scratch.

This has happened to me before (password issues) but it's never gone on for this long. It's made me wonder if there was a stealth settings change I haven't caught up with or something.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    From my own investigation, no, it's just them being retarded on their end (maybe they're over capacity, and can't handle how much e-mail comes in at once now?). For months. It definitely wasn't always this way, but it's stuck around for a long time so I'm curious as to whether they're ever going to fix it. Like I said, I couldn't seem to find a way to report the problem to them...

And yes, my mom and I want to keep using these e-mails as well. I've signed up for really important stuff with mine and it's not always easy to change e-mail addresses for other online accounts.