As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how do elves even know how to build a god damn Smartphone anyways

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck, that first one is incredible.

The second one has its moments, but once you know the "game," it ain't as fun.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yo I just got a Nexus 7 and it's easily the most advanced mobile technology that I've ever owned. It's pretty sweet but I'm like a caveman with fire here, just poking it to see what it does and hoping that it doesn't hurt me.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Peen wrote: »
    Yo I just got a Nexus 7 and it's easily the most advanced mobile technology that I've ever owned. It's pretty sweet but I'm like a caveman with fire here, just poking it to see what it does and hoping that it doesn't hurt me.
    Just be gentle and the n7 will be gentle back.

No... NO NOT THAT!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think I accidentally the whole thing

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    ok, so I factory stock rooted my AT&T phone (SG3).

But I want to put cyanogen mod onto it.

can someone baby walk me through this, because i was following a thing and it was wanting me to open a terminal on teh computer and nothing was working and I was so confused.

I looked up stuff and the responses to questions were just like "just do it right"

Where are you looking? There's a thread on XDA specifically about CyanogenMod 10.1.

If you don't have ClockworkMod installed, there's a link to it using Odin in the first post in that thread including links to additional information.

the problem here is that the odin file isn't for my model of G3. Also the list of instructions is just one line like

"Flash the rom to your sd card"

like...oh ok I'll just do that then.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the problem here is that the odin file isn't for my model of G3. Also the list of instructions is just one line like

That's the major thing I hate about the Android custom ROM community. There's so many threads with instructions that are essentially "post the doo-flops into your metadrive and conjugate the verbs"

And all the warnings like "IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS DON'T EVEN BOTHER GOD WHY ARE YOU EVEN TRYING THIS GO BACK TO IPHONE YOU LOSER" just really make you enamoured with the community.

It's the reason why I switched my thinking from "I'll just get a phone and slap a custom ROM onto it to keep up with the latest updates" to "I'll buy the Nexus so I get the updates when Google releases them without having to deal with nerds with superiority complexes."

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Yeah I'm looking through threads and these guys are asses

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

That's the major thing I hate about the Android custom ROM community. There's so many threads with instructions that are essentially "post the doo-flops into your metadrive and conjugate the verbs"

And all the warnings like "IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS DON'T EVEN BOTHER GOD WHY ARE YOU EVEN TRYING THIS GO BACK TO IPHONE YOU LOSER" just really make you enamoured with the community.

It's the reason why I switched my thinking from "I'll just get a phone and slap a custom ROM onto it to keep up with the latest updates" to "I'll buy the Nexus so I get the updates when Google releases them without having to deal with nerds with superiority complexes."

Yeah. Combine that with the bad support other devices get, and it was a pretty easy decision to switch to the N4.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Tell them you will send them a picture of your breasts if they help you.

I...I hear that works.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Android high level users are the same as Linux users. They are of the fuck off and find out variety.

What you need to do is trick them.

You don't say, how do I do this.

You say, this is bullshit. I can't flash my rom.

Then they will move heaven and earth to prove you wrong.

I'd suggest checking youtube. They might gloss over explanations, but they're good with seeming what you need to do.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a lot better luck on rootzwiki than I do on xda. Still some of the same assholes, but I generally find more good information there.

http://rootzwiki.com/forum/507-galaxy-s-iii-all-variants/

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Android high level users are the same as Linux users. They are of the fuck off and find out variety.

I'd suggest checking youtube. They might gloss over explanations, but they're good with seeming what you need to do.

I remember reading something a while back about someone's approach to tech support in Linux. Instead of asking for help in forums asking why they couldn't do something they would instead say "Linux is bullshit, I can't even do X."

They'd then get very detailed responses about exactly how and why it could do what he needed.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @langly you may need to find the carrier specific gs3 forum on xda to get the right odin file. I forget if they still have carrier specific forums but they did last time I was mucking with XDA.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I stumbled across an awesome app that did everything for me. It cost a buck but you know what, I will pay a fucking dollar to have this shit done for me.

• Options
    Oh also Naphtali this is what I am doing to hopefully fix my battery issue. I'm still not sure what is causing it.

• Options
    Oh also Naphtali this is what I am doing to hopefully fix my battery issue. I'm still not sure what is causing it.

that's fucked up man, hope it fixes the problem for you. what app did you use?

I've seen a noticible chunk of battery % on my verizon gs3 seems to get eaten up by wakelock a lot, not sure what's causing it. Still manages to get to the end of the day with 50-70% of battery depending on how much I've used it though so I can't complain.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I hate that the GS3 TV out is proprietary... thus ensuring that it will probably never be supported in a custom rom

ah well.. there's still rooting

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    i wrote out a bunch to help with installing custom roms and then realised that the link to the toolkit below seems to have pretty clear instruction for doing some stuff, so my thing just became even messier

spoilered for super long. its mainly exposition though, and trying to avoid oversimplifying like most instructions for this stuff does. theres really not much to it though, and if you do it a few times youll see you just repeat the same few simple steps
    anyway it looks like the s3 might be similar to the galaxy nexus which i just got, but which isnt hugely different to the s1 which i had for the past couple of years
    the main thing is that you can get this toolkit which seems to do a lot of the work for you, but which i had never seen before until a few weeks ago when i got the nexus

the basic idea is- (this is mainly from memory of using the s1)

the phone can boot into 3 modes. normal, recovery, and download. r & d are usually found by turning on the phone while holding one of the volume keys, or by selecting to reboot into them from the power options in a custom rom. recovery is the main one you would use, as this gives you some system options to play around with, and a custom recovery will add options including installing roms. download mode basically makes the phone a slave to your pc, and is only needed when flashing recovery, or when youve messed something up and you gotta start all over from scratch (expect this to happen, and that flashing a new rom can easily become a lengthy ordeal. although these new toolkits seem like they might take away some of the pain)

so the first thing is to install a custom recovery. im only familiar with clockwordmod recovery
    1. flash clockworkmod recovery first. this lets you boot the phone into a system menu kinda thing from which you can flash roms and kernels. you might be able to flash them other ways, such as with odin, but save your time and effort and just get cwm on there because it makes things easier
    to flash cwm- run the toolkit, select your phone type, install the drivers (option 1- follow the instructions on the web page), select root/unroot options (option 2), and select an option that includes flashing a custom recovery and root. i would select option 5 "flash recovery, root, busybox+rename restore files via recovery", because apparently busybox is a good thing. ive never used it but i think it allows some linux stuff in future if you ever wanna use it or its needed for something, but otherwise you wont even notice it
    follow all the toolkit instructions, including enabling usb debugging on the phone as your first step. it should then be able to reboot your phone as needed, or at least tell you how to do it so it can do what it needs to do
    hopefully you will now have cwm installed on your phone. this should only have to be done once ever, and cwm will just stay on the phone until you remove it or something gets messed up, in which case dont stress just repeat this all again

2. now you can reboot into cwm. the toolkit can do this for you (option 22 and then reboot into recovery or whatever) if needed, or you can do it manually which is a good thing to know. shut down the phone then hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME UP' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 5 seconds. you should see a system menu, check that it says cwm recovery somewhere and isnt still the default samsung menu
    -what we really want here is 'install zip from sd card'
    -navigate cwm using the volume buttons and probably the power button

3. to install cyanogen (and this is pretty much the same for any other rom in a zip file). (check instructions for any rom you install, although sometimes they are pretty vague)
    -copy the zip files (nightly build and Gapps) to the phones internal sd card, doesnt matter where. do this when the phone is powered on normally
    -boot into cwm
    -maybe go ahead and make a backup, this might be under advanced options i dunno. otherwise just make sure youve saved whatever you need off your phone, like messages and app data. the usb drives that pop up in windows should remain untouched through all this but go ahead and be paranoid with all that stuff too. but app stuff will basically get wiped
    -select 'install zip from sd card'
    -navigate to the files you copied. select the cwm file first, flash it, then select and flash the Gapps files
    -go back to previous menus and do a data wipe/factory reset. this might be in advanced options. this step can sometimes be skipped when upgrading from a previous version of the same rom and android version, but check instructions. basically if you wont have to wipe all your stuff every time you install a new nightly
    -reboot the phone (from the main cwm menu)

it might take a while to reboot at first, so give it a few minutes. if it gets stuck on the boot screen for ages, like 10 minutes or something ridiculous, try going back into cwm and wiping cache and dalvik cache, or installing the rom again, or trying a different rom
    once you got this working, install a kernel if you like. they install from zip like a rom, but i think you gotta wipe the cache and dalvik cache afterwards, but you dont have to factory reset or lose any data. check any available instructions on the kernel pages, and that the kernel you use is for the same android version, or at least that there are people using it with cyanogenmod. mismatches can stop the phone from booting but i think you can just flash a new kernel on top
    put a kernel on now if you are thinking about it, or even just to see how its done, because if something goes wrong you can just wipe it all and start again now when the phone has already just been wiped and you wont be losing anything

um i think thats it and you should have a new rom

i would recommend leaving the rom files on the phone, so that if the phone ever gets fucked up at any point you can just wipe and install the rom like new

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    oh yea and i dont think you would need to use odin for anything
    its in the toolkit somewhere but i didnt need it for the nexus. did have to use it for the s1 but hopefully not anymore
    its a download mode thing so youd probably be using it to go back to stock or if youve basically bricked the phone

actually with the s1 you could use odin to flash new antenna types, which would control call reception and quality, and gps stuff
    i dunno if that still applies with these newer phones

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

that's fucked up man, hope it fixes the problem for you. what app did you use?

I've seen a noticible chunk of battery % on my verizon gs3 seems to get eaten up by wakelock a lot, not sure what's causing it. Still manages to get to the end of the day with 50-70% of battery depending on how much I've used it though so I can't complain.

I willll tell you when it finishes installing because I have already forgotten

basically I looked up cyanogen mod on google play and several popped up

• Options
    It is simply called ROM Manager

• Options
    It is simply called ROM Manager

how apt

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a new premise for a kairosoft joint

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    can someone tell me how to set up QoS on my router (tomato firmware) so that when my roommate decided to torrent something i can actually properly stream video

mannn we need more bandwidths

poo
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

I remember reading something a while back about someone's approach to tech support in Linux. Instead of asking for help in forums asking why they couldn't do something they would instead say "Linux is bullshit, I can't even do X."

They'd then get very detailed responses about exactly how and why it could do what he needed.

It's a bash.org quote.

The arch Linux wiki and Ubuntu forums are very friendly, even the Linux thread in the tech tavern is a good font of helpfulness.

But yes I agree that the android ROM community needs a kick in the arse.

• Options
    oh my god this app alerts me when Cyanogen releases it's new build (every night), I click a button and it flashes the update.

this this is awesome.

• Options
    oh my god this app alerts me when Cyanogen releases it's new build (every night), I click a button and it flashes the update.

this this is awesome.

That's actually pretty fuckin sweet

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

http://bash.org/?152037

sig.png
  • Options
    lord i remember bash.org

• Options
    1) spaceteam is awesome

2) my friend showed me this 1 second every day app where you just record 1 second of video each day and it combines it into a video and the result is pretty cool

poo
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've been using Everyday for a couple years now to snap a photo of me. You can set up a push notification to remind you at a set time, and it's got on-screen guides to line up your face, and then you can turn it into a video.

I wanna play spaceteam so bad :o

• Options
    It's fun, i only played i last night at a bar with my friend, but would like to play with 4 people

the 1 second thing is slightly different, it is like, this

poo
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Hey, so the Note 2 is pretty nice so far. It's also because I jumped from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean.

The Chrome sync feature is pretty neat.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh question.

You know how you can put iPhone apps on the iPad, and hit the button to make it fill the entire page?

How do you downsize it?

• Options
    is that button not still there hmmmmmmm i thought it was

poo
  • Options
    Yeah normally the button just remains there I thought

• Options
    Huh. I never noticed it? I'll check again when I get home.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Got my upgrade today. I was leaning towards the Note II until I saw it in person and remembered I have tiny hands. So I went with the S3. I love it so far.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    This is neat. I can draw across the keyboard and it will pop the word up after I lift the stylus up.

This discussion has been closed.