As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with disk partitions on win server 2k8

amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhourThe woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, I'm at the end of my rope here with this.

I've got an HP DL380p server with a 4.7TB Raid 5 setup (virtual disk 0, 6 1TB drives) and I'm trying to get it set up with a 100 gb C: partition for Server 2K8 R2 and the remaining space will be file storage (it's a file server)

When I was doing the setup Windows automatically converted the remaining space into two 2.5 TB and under "unallocated space" sets (not partitions) and once I'm in the server after install I can see both of them, but I can't combine them.

It has something to do with them needing to be GPT file types but it won't let me set them up as GPT for some reason using diskpart from command prompt.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I can give further info if needed.

Thanks!

are YOU on the beer list?
amateurhour on

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    This might help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

You should probably delete both 2.5T disks and create one new dynamic volume. I can't really help you with the diskpart commands though. :(

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I read that and tried the technet diskpart recommendations and it didn't work, it gave some error about having GPT and NTFS file systems together not working.

I'm going to try creating two virtual disks in the Raid 5 setup and I'll see if Windows sees both of them so I can use one for C and one for Data storage, unless anyone else has a better idea.

Thanks though for the link!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Ended up fixing it myself the annoying way. For anyone interested, I had to end up destroying the previous raid and setting up two logical drives (1 100GB windows drive and 1 4.5TB data partition) and once I reinstalled server 2k8 it saw everything as it should.

Let it be a lesson, get a SAN people.

This can be closed, thanks!