As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Fuck cash. I never carry it anymore and during my 3 week trip through Eastern Europe I pretty much had to use it exclusively, amazing how much I take it for granted back home.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Non-cash is faster and more secure so... Yeah, you are pretty much still the one banging those rocks together. :D

Cash is still king in Germany. Credit cards? What's that?
    Literally no one uses them inside Germany

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Non-cash is faster and more secure so... Yeah, you are pretty much still the one banging those rocks together. :D

Yeah well.

Your country be weird.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm in the US right now, and I need to get a new phone. However, I need it to also work in the UK or Canada on a long term basis. If I just buy an iphone outright without a contract (it says that means it's through t mobile on the apple site), is it still somehow locked to a provider or can I throw a new sim into it?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm in the US right now, and I need to get a new phone. However, I need it to also work in the UK or Canada on a long term basis. If I just buy an iphone outright without a contract (it says that means it's through t mobile on the apple site), is it still somehow locked to a provider or can I throw a new sim into it?

Buy the T-mo version of the 6 or 6 plus and you are good to go.

It's completely unlocked.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know. My friend thinks I'm dumb, because I'd be able to wait and get a deal. It looks like mostly iPhone deals are just 0% finance deals though, so eh.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Out of curiosity, I just got a 6 through Verizon as an upgrade that came with a 2 year contract. I'm guessing that's not unlocked at all? If I were to move to a different country I can't put a new sim in?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Out of curiosity, I just got a 6 through Verizon as an upgrade that came with a 2 year contract. I'm guessing that's not unlocked at all? If I were to move to a different country I can't put a new sim in?

Verizon is a weird one.

If you were to move to a different country outright you would need to cancel your verizon plan. Pay termination fees, the whole mess.

If you "buy out" your phone at that point you can unlock it for all networks, including US CDMA ones.

HOWEVER!

the SIM chip slot on Verizon iPhones have been traditionally unlocked since verizon got the iPhone, so that a travelling businessperson could just pop a regional SIM in and be good to go. I think they have it so that you cannot pop a US GSM chip in (like AT&T or T-mobile), but every other GSM network in the world works without a hitch.

Hope this helps.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know. My friend thinks I'm dumb, because I'd be able to wait and get a deal. It looks like mostly iPhone deals are just 0% finance deals though, so eh.

There are no real deals on iPhones, especially not wildly popular ones that only just came out and are still flying off shelves. If you want it, get it.

There was a line of ~200 people still waiting outside one of my local apple stores for the iPhone 6 on Tuesday this week. It's kind of bonkers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

There are no real deals on iPhones, especially not wildly popular ones that only just came out and are still flying off shelves. If you want it, get it.

There was a line of ~200 people still waiting outside one of my local apple stores for the iPhone 6 on Tuesday this week. It's kind of bonkers.

For the record, my wife just ordered her 6 plus last night and still got a 4 to 6 week wait time from AT&T.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    There's no waiting lines and phones in stock if you live in a midwest flyover state.

/waves tiny flag

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

Just got back from Berlin, and can confirm anything that isn't a major purchase (more than 100 Euros) the use of a card is frowned upon.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

I can't see it being different for the American version of the site, but I bought a phone for the fiance from the Apple Canada website without a carrier, and indeed it is unlocked. I'm going to be doing the same thing for myself in the spring likely.

Figured more respondents, the better.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Anyone need an invite for Inbox? I have 5. PM me with the gmail address you want invited.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

For the record, my wife just ordered her 6 plus last night and still got a 4 to 6 week wait time from AT&T.

My 6+ is going to be here early! (by a whole 4 days...)

I ordered on October 1 or 2 (from a verizon store), and it'll be in my hands on November 4. That's crazy that there's still a month wait!

I was really hoping it would arrive last week. I really wanted the new camera and not-terrible battery life for the F1 race this weekend.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    does At&t let you preorder even if your pgrade isn't ready yet?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Is there any way to turn autocorrect off in iMessage? I can't fucking stand it anymore. It's HORRIBLE, and regularly changes the meaning of what I'm trying to say, replacing completely valid words. It has decided now it doesn't like the word 'dog', so whenever I type it, it "corrects" it to 'doc'.

Technology that tries to predict what I meant to say can die in a fire. It's never been done correctly, and only serves to frustrate.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Clear the keyboard cache first; if you're an upgrader, right now it thinks every typo you ever made before iOS 8 was on purpose.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Oh awesome. I'll Google how to do that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I was at Rite Aid today and they had their contactless payment terminals back up. I figured maybe they had relaxed about the Apple Pay thing so I tried to use it. It beeps, gives an approval message, waits a minute and then spits out a very angry sounding message that says "PAYMENT DECLINED. RITE AID NO LONGER ACCEPTS CONTACTLESS PAYMENTS. YOUR PAYMENT METHOD IS INVALID. PLEASE USE ANOTHER FORM OF PAYMENT."

And it still shows the authorization on my card, so the payment made it all the way to the bank before Rite Aid balked. Fuck these people.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I was at Rite Aid today and they had their contactless payment terminals back up. I figured maybe they had relaxed about the Apple Pay thing so I tried to use it. It beeps, gives an approval message, waits a minute and then spits out a very angry sounding message that says "PAYMENT DECLINED. RITE AID NO LONGER ACCEPTS CONTACTLESS PAYMENTS. YOUR PAYMENT METHOD IS INVALID. PLEASE USE ANOTHER FORM OF PAYMENT."

And it still shows the authorization on my card, so the payment made it all the way to the bank before Rite Aid balked. Fuck these people.

Yeah, CurrentC/MXC has been on the offensive this past week trying to say that what they are offering the consumers is "choice" and are "just as safe as apple" despite them housing a database filled with all the financial info of their customers as opposed to apple letting you work out a secret key directly with your bank and having no part in the conversation...

They also said any store that refuses to block NFC payments will be de-prioritized for their rollout next year. So basically, throw in fully with us or maybe we don't really want you there anyways.

ApplePay is going to win, Google Wallet will be successful too as a direct result of this increased awareness, and this QR code using personal information vacuuming privacy invading bullshit is going to fail.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    my 6+ arrived today. coming from a 4 is a bit jarring, as the screen is bigger than the entire old phone. but overall, i'm digging it. it fits in my pocket nicely (with a small case).
    Now i need to play with all the fun osx/ios8 shenanigans

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I've managed to recieve calls fine on osx but I haven't been able to receive non iMessages.

Has anyone else had any luck?

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yep. Works just fine.

I had to enable it, though I don't recall how I went about doing that. A quick Google search should turn up how, if you haven't already.

Don't take this statement as a blanket praise of the service, though. iOS 8 is a proper shitshow. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work for some people sporadically.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hey folks, question that hopefully I can get help with.

I know nothing about iphones but my wife thinks she wants one as her next phone. We're considering going off network, if that matters..

But for her, as someone who doesn't play games or do anything fancy on her phone, is there any real reason to pay for the iphone 6 vs a 5s or something? Can both work off-network with, say, Walmarts Straight Talk?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    If she doesn't play games or "do anything fancy" what is it she does do with her phone exactly? Just web/facebook/text? If so, the only real thing you're getting out of the 6 is the bigger screen and I guess the better camera if she's into taking phone pictures.

Otherwise there's little the 6 can do that the 5s can't. For someone who probably isn't worried about graphics and performance, or taking slo-mo video, and is likely just using the phone as portable internet/facebook, the 5s is probably fine for her.

Here's pretty much everything that a 6 gets you over a 5s:

versus.com/en/apple-iphone-6-vs-apple-iphone-5s

• Options
    edited November 2014
    If she doesn't play games or "do anything fancy" what is it she does do with her phone exactly? Just web/facebook/text? If so, the only real thing you're getting out of the 6 is the bigger screen and I guess the better camera if she's into taking phone pictures.

Otherwise there's little the 6 can do that the 5s can't. For someone who probably isn't worried about graphics and performance, or taking slo-mo video, and is likely just using the phone as portable internet/facebook, the 5s is probably fine for her.

Here's pretty much everything that a 6 gets you over a 5s:

versus.com/en/apple-iphone-6-vs-apple-iphone-5s

well, by anything fancy, I guess I mean things that would require much improved hardware. She does a lot of audible, reading, video chat, and such. The only games she has are for the kids, and nothing that really push any hardware. AFAIK she's never even bought anything on the play store, so she wouldn't be losing anything there either.

If the 5s has 8.0/8.1 it might even be better for her because it's smaller and she doesn't like big phones. EDIT: maybe we'll wander by the verizon store and check them out. There's one near us that are pretty good about leaving you be to check out the phones, particularly if you're already a verizon customer (which we are).

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Screen size on the 5s might be a little small for doing a lot of reading - like novel length reading. Depends what you're used to really.

5s does have iOS 8 though.

Cog on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    And almost all the features. I think the 5s will continue to be supported for a decent amount of time.

• Options
    Well, she's had an S3 for awhile; for some reason I thought the 5s was roughly the same size. maybe a 6 would be better for her.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, she's had an S3 for awhile; for some reason I thought the 5s was roughly the same size. maybe a 6 would be better for her.

A Sony Xperia Z3 compact is about the same size screen as a Galaxy S3. It has a really great camera, and costs significantly less than the iPhone, so if she doesn't actually need any particular iOS thing, you could go that way? The UI on the Xperia phones is quite a bit nicer than Samsungs Touchwiz on an S3.

• Options
    I dunno; every time our contracts come up she decides she wants an iphone. It's likely because most of her siblings are apple users, even though she's never owned and probably hasn't used an apple product since the IIe. :lol:

What happens though, is every time she fiddles with an iphone she likes it but realizes that she's too used to android and she knows I have no interest in learning apple products, so she'd have to learn everything herself and nope.

So we'll see. I just wanted to be clear on off contract stuff with them, just in case.

• Options
    The learning curve on an iphone is like this though: _________________

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I just got this case from amazon today for my 6+. I paid less than $7, and got free shipping too (although it took almost a week). For seven bucks, this thing seems hard to beat! Good protection for the back, semi-soft edge protection, doesn't add much bulk, and is dirt cheap!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    My god, why did no one tell me about Passsource sooner? Good bye gift and rewards cards, hello wallet space!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Can anyone give me a rundown of At&t's normal plans vs the At&T next plans?

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly sure that article is severely out of date and doesn't reflect what the Next plan actually is currently.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Yep, I was just about to add that that post is a year or two old and is completely inaccurate as of now.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Here, instead of typing it all out again, I'll just quote myself from earlier in the thread. This is from about two months ago, so I'm assuming it still applies unless AT&T has made some drastic change I'm not aware of.
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Okay, this is easier. I posted this in another forum, and as far as I know it still applies.

Everything I've read about it indicates that Next is no better or worse than buying the phone outright, as you end up paying the same either way. It's just a decision of whether you want to pay for it all up front or over the course of 2 years.

However, what IS more expensive now is going the traditional contract/subsidy route. AT&T now offers a $15-$25 discount on your bill if you have a mobile sharing plan. As long as you either purchase the phone outright or get onto a Next plan, you keep that discount and they waive the new phone activation fee. But if you sign a new contract and subsidize the cost of the phone in the traditional manner, you lose that discount. So going this way, you pay an extra $600 over the life of your contract, in addition to whatever you paid for the subsidized phone up front.

So for example, here's how it breaks down for a 16 GB iPhone 6 over the course of 2 years, assuming you pay $125 a month for your 10 GB AT&T mobile sharing plan (not including the discount).

Purchase Outright: $650 (Upfront Phone Cost) + $3000 (Plan) - $600 (Discount) = $3050.

AT&T Next: $650 (Phone Cost over 24 months) + $3000 (Plan) - $600 (Discount) = $3050.

Subsidized Contract: $200 (Upfront Subsidized Phone Cost) + $3000 (Plan) + $40 (Activation Fee) = $3240.

So as you can see, with either an upfront purchase or Next plan, you save nearly $200 over the course of two years over the traditional subsidized contract price. Of course, this is all completely manufactured by AT&T with their discounts, but it's what we have to work with.

Being what it is, I don't see why anyone would willingly choose a traditional contract plan over the Next plan. With the contract, you end up paying the extra $25+ dollars a month because of losing your discount, and then you also have to pay a subsidized cost of the phone upfront. Next won't lower the cost of your monthly bill, but at least you don't have to pay anything for the phone up front (besides taxes).

Personally, I think buying outright is the way to go in any situation, but not everyone can afford to drop that much money at once. So if the choice is between a contract and Next, I'd pick Next every time.

Now, all that is assuming you are on an AT&T Mobile Sharing Plan. If you're on some other plan, none of this applies. But I think you have to be on a sharing plan to use Next anyway, so I don't know why you would consider it if you weren't.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie