As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I used the pencil every day when I got it.

I have been using it much less as of late, but I am no artist.

where it is absolutely at its best for me is marking up word documents, and drawing diagrams to explain processes.

If you are someone who has to grab yellow pads a lot during meetings the pencil is worth its weight in gold.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I used the pencil every day when I got it.

I have been using it much less as of late, but I am no artist.

where it is absolutely at its best for me is marking up word documents, and drawing diagrams to explain processes.

If you are someone who has to grab yellow pads a lot during meetings the pencil is worth its weight in gold.

Although you could use it for artwork and it does have some pressure sensitivity to it, the pencil is far more ideal note taking quick sketching with its near zero lag.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Scored an iPad Pro a few days ago thanks to a really good Craigslist deal ($875 for a 128GB 12.9 inch Pro, with Smart Cover and Pencil included). I spent the last week sorting through my apps and turned my 10+pages of cluttered home screen into a compact 3 pages of folders.

Anyway, I've been out of the app scene for a while, so I had a few questions:

1. Any notable game apps released in the last year or so? In particular I would be interested in any social game apps along the lines of Words with Friends that has me competing against other people. Word games, puzzle games, quiz games, anything that lets me think it out and maybe learn something too.

2. Same question but with apps that take advantage of the pencil. I'd be down for anything that helps teach you drawing, along with anything that lets you take notes.

3. Can you set custom thumbnails for folders?

4. So they got rid of the on/off slider for muting, which is fine by me. However, even when my iPad is mute it still makes the "click" noise when I close the screen with the smart cover. It's a small matter, but I'd prefer to keep it off. Is it possible?

5. Lastly, I noticed a few apps I once paid for no longer work, either because the server's been closed or they didn't bother updating the compatibility. These were along the lines of $1 per app and such, but it's still slightly irksome. I was wondering if there was a way to get the money back.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    1) Hearthstone? It plays pretty amazing on iPad. For single player, I've been really in to Baldur's Gate 2: EE lately, which plays incredibly well with touch controls.
    2) Can't help with the pen, didn't buy one.
    3) Nope, not that I'm aware of.
    4) Settings -> Sounds, turn off Lock Sounds.
    5) No, not likely anymore. Apple does like 24 hours of refund time on apps. Old apps that haven't been updated to iPad Pro compatibility you're just kind of out of luck.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I have an iPhone SE now. For phone case purposes, it's exactly the size of an iPhone 5, right?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So I have an iPhone SE now. For phone case purposes, it's exactly the size of an iPhone 5, right?

yes - I am pretty sure every case except the most form fitting (like, the chamferred edges throwing it off) would work.

every single case on apple's site says 5, 5s and SE, for instance

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Thanks to some birthday bucks, I'm looking into getting the Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro. Is the official Apple one the way to go, or do any of the third party alternatives improve on the concept?

• Options
    Thanks to some birthday bucks, I'm looking into getting the Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro. Is the official Apple one the way to go, or do any of the third party alternatives improve on the concept?

I have the official apple one, and I like it well enough, mostly because it does not add a bunch of weight and it gets the job done.

The logitech keyboard feels a lot more like a real keyboard, but it also doubles the weight and thickness of the iPad Pro, which is already not a waif when it comes to tablets.

Best move would be to go to an apple store and give yourself a few minutes on the apple smart keyboard. if you find yourself hating it, then get the logitech, as it pretty much feels like a Macbook keyboard.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

I have the official apple one, and I like it well enough, mostly because it does not add a bunch of weight and it gets the job done.

The logitech keyboard feels a lot more like a real keyboard, but it also doubles the weight and thickness of the iPad Pro, which is already not a waif when it comes to tablets.

Best move would be to go to an apple store and give yourself a few minutes on the apple smart keyboard. if you find yourself hating it, then get the logitech, as it pretty much feels like a Macbook keyboard.

I hate the official Apple one really wasn't useful for me at all. I prefer the Logitech but I agree completely that it basically makes it heavier and thicker than a standard macbook. I actually think its worth getting an official wireless keyboard as its compact, light and the standard go to keyboard.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Does anyone else use Swype? Has anyone else noticed it being really really stupid the past few days? There wasn't an update that I can see, but I think something had to have happened, it just all of the sudden has barely been able to tell at all what I'm saying. Stupid mistakes, like "ne" for "me" (where "me" is obviously much more likely) and "tea" for "team" (I had to make a huge movement to get over to the 'm', and I guess it just didn't feel like counting that?).

It's happening very frequently, maybe as much as half of my words are just wrong. And it used to be very accurate, so I'm wondering if it's just me or not.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So apparently I'm about to become hip.

My office is supplying us with Iphone 6's and I've never really had an apple device before. I currently have a Note 3 android.

Any must have apps i should jump on immediately?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Are you being given corporate Apple IDs or using your own?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Corporate i believe. Not positive.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Cool, so free productivity apps mostly? Off the top of my head:

If you're on Office 365, get the free versions of the Office suite.

Obviously you want the client app for whatever cloud storage you use.

1Blocker and ad-blocker together should cover you for browsing safety in Safari.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    1Password and Hearthstone are really all you need.

• Options
    Oh hearthstone definately, already got it on pc and android. I might even finally get the free pack from playing on iphone if they are still doing it.

• Options
    Silly question. Does the apple store have an iphone equivilant app for google hangouts?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    There's the Google Hangouts app by Google. :wink:

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and it's better than the Android version for some reason.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    My current job has a lot of office downtime, which means I get to use my IPad almost the whole day...to the point that the battery drains completely.

I've brought along a charger and cable, but they don't seem to charge the iPad at a reasonable pace....the percentage continues to tick down even while it's plugged in. I have a decent number of third party cables/chargers, so at this point I couldn't tell the authentic ones apart from the knock-offs. I got recommendations for Anker as a reliable third party cable, but I haven't tried them yet.

My question: is the charger itself more important than the cable when it comes to Ipads? Would I be better off just getting another iPad-sized A/C adapter rather than an iPhone's? Or are iPads known to charge super slowly regardless?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    It doesn't get advertised much but iPad chargers put out twice or more the power of iPhone chargers. As can the USB ports on Macs and MacBooks. This is technically within the USB spec but only apple devices can be relied on to produce it because Apple lobbied hardest for the spec to be modified to include it.

• Options
    Seems Anker also sells said adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Foldable-iPhone/dp/B012WMWPJW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466715977&sr=8-4&keywords=ipad+power+adapter

Is it reliable? This thing is probably ideal, since I can plug both my phone and iPad at the same time.

• Options
    I have some Anker stuff that has been fine. They aren't going to roast your stuff, and you get way more functionality for less money than the Apple charger.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Anyone able to recommend a time tracking app? iOS or OS X is fine. I don't think I need anything fancy. My work lets me take PTO for time worked outside of my normal work hours, so I just need to be able to track time worked and "mark off" hours that I've already taken the PTO for.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    The Smart Keyboard cover for the iPad Pro is great and convenient, but there's one design flaw that irks me a bit: when folded back like a traditional Smart Cover, it won't magnetize with the back part of the iPad. This means I have to manually hold down the Smart Cover with my hand, which can be a bit cumbersome.

Have they released any revisions that do magnetize with the back, official or third party?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Thinking about getting a charging cradle for my iPhone 6, I've never had one before. I'd like for it to be seated across the room from me so I'm not tempted to be on my phone excessively, but I also want to make sure that it alerts me of texts and phone calls. Right now when I have my phone plugged into my speakers I don't get text tones. Any suggestions?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I love having my iPhone plugged into my speakers but it seems to inhibit my texts, phone calls and alarms and it drives me crazy. Is there some way around this?

• Options
    iPad Pro 12.9 it's highly likely it will be updated in September to match the specs of the 9.7 inch does anyone think There will be anything further updated ? Or should I get the current student summer offer on the current one?

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Big Phone event on September 7th. Expected: reveal of iPhone 7.

Excited!

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm really hoping they refresh the Apple Watch. I think I'm just about ready to take the plunge into trying a smartwatch.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I'm really hoping they refresh the Apple Watch. I think I'm just about ready to take the plunge into trying a smartwatch.

Given the massive improvement in functionality and performance WatchOS 3 brings, I'm thinking the current model has another year in it yet. That said, shoving a FaceTime camera and fingerprint reader under the display would be awesome, particularly if they can maintain/improve the battery life of the current model.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Given the massive improvement in functionality and performance WatchOS 3 brings, I'm thinking the current model has another year in it yet. That said, shoving a FaceTime camera and fingerprint reader under the display would be awesome, particularly if they can maintain/improve the battery life of the current model.

There's been enough smoke around them clearing out/discounting the current model to indicate that something is coming. I would be surprised if they don't have a new S2 CPU or something of that nature.

Also they seriously need to update the Macbooks.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

There's been enough smoke around them clearing out/discounting the current model to indicate that something is coming. I would be surprised if they don't have a new S2 CPU or something of that nature.

Also they seriously need to update the Macbooks.

If there are any updates to the Macbook line it would probably be a new Pro design or refresh. The Air has had a minor refresh and the 12" has had a refresh this year already.

Rumours have said a new Macbook Pro with a Touch bar at the top of the keyboard.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I picked up a used 9.7 IPad Pro, pencil, and keyboard not too long ago (sudden windfall, ridiculous prices seem less ridiculous) and I'm kind of blown away by the functionality of the thing. The pencil is fantastic for the kinds of PDF markups I'm doing on the regular, and I'm downright shocked at how good the keyboard is. The absence of a proper delete key is the only mark against it, otherwise I can touch type at pretty close to full high speed.

I'm having a hard time justifying using the thing as the type of workstation that requires a keyboard on the regular, but it's just so much better than it has any right to be.

• Options
    Fn-delete is the delete key btw

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Fn-delete is the delete key btw

No function key on the Smart Keyboard, tragically. As far as I can tell there's no built-in forward delete, but I can work with it, and I imagine it'll be added in some eventual update. If I'm doing anything more complicated than e-mails, notes, or chat I'm likely going to want a full keyboard with numpad, in any case.

I just can't get over the feel of the thing. I'm not a keyboard snob, but I lose my mind if I can't type at full speed, and somehow this crowded little fabric thing does the job.

• Options
    Ok I need to see what gives when's I get back to my desk because I feel like it's in there somewhere

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Spoilers - here's what's expected at the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OMFCLQztMg

I'd feel better about Apple removing the headphone jack if they also switched from Lightning to USB-C - and the goal was to converge to one port for everything, from charging your laptop to plugging in your headphones. But apparently they're sticking with Lightning for now.

wandering on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Also apparently ctrl+D is forward delete @OneAngryPossum
    Ctrl+A: Beginning of line (like Home)
    Ctrl+B: Backward one character (like hitting the left arrow)
    Ctrl+D: Forward delete (like the Forward Delete button on Macs)
    Ctrl+E: End of line (like End)
    Ctrl+F: Forward one character (like hitting the right arrow)
    Ctrl+H: Backward delete (like hitting the Delete button on Macs)
    Ctrl+K: Kill/remove text between cursor and the end of the line
    Ctrl+N: Next line (like down arrow)
    Ctrl+P: Previous line (like up arrow)
    Ctrl+U: Remove/delete current line
    Ctrl+V: Page down
    Ctrl+Y: Paste text which has been "killed" by Ctrl+K
    http://www.apple.com/shop/question/answers/readonly/the-one-delete-key-moves-left-is-there-a-single-keystroke-way-to-delete-right-with-this-keyboard/QKTDPPDJD9XPFFUTA

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Good ol' Emacs.