As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Bring your boxing gloves!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what is there to even hate about Fenris

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is Fenris a human?

Because if Fenris is a human, I might be able to think of a thing or two

(I really should go with Duncan to Ostagar or wherever tonight)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Duncan is a douche. He's supposed to be all this great heroic father figure blah blah, but he's a douche.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Wait. Where is Anders in DAO? I don't recall ever meeting him prior to the second game?

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Wait. Where is Anders in DAO? I don't recall ever meeting him prior to the second game?

He's in Awakening, the biggest and most 'expansion-packy' of the DLC as a companion along with Justice, the Fade Spirit he merged with between the games.

Z0re on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Fenris is incredibly rude to Bethany.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I only played a warrior in DA2, so I never used Fenris that much, so I can't say much about his personality one way or the other. I did like Avalene though. She was cute in a middle aged, gone through horrible mental trauma but coping, warrior woman kind of way. Great personality, her romance had me in chuckles.

Think I'll do a mage playthrough next time. Cause fuck Anders.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Even using MageHawk I never used Fenris. I mean, I have Aveline, Isabella, and Varric.

Why would I want to use Fenris?

• Options
    Z0re wrote: »

He's in Awakening, the biggest and most 'expansion-packy' of the DLC as a companion along with Justice, the Fade Spirit he merged with between the games.

I don't have that DLC. Is it worth getting?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Orca wrote: »
    Even using MageHawk I never used Fenris. I mean, I have Aveline, Isabella, and Varric.

Pairing him with Isabella, Sebastian, Varric and/or Aveline results in some pretty great dialogue.

Plus he's waaaaaaaay more fun in the general side missions and main quest than he is in his personal stuff.

Z0re on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Awakening is pretty good.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

not if she's a grey warden

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

I'm talking about Act I, since I didn't have them together later on.
    Since Fenris refused to side with me and forced me to kill him.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Yeah, it's better than the OC imo. Better ambiguity in the villains. I think of Awakening like this:

Awakening is to Origins like Mask of the Betrayer is to Neverwinter Nights 2.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I gotta say I love how silly the game is with its violence

There's one bad-ass execution where you pop a guy in the chin with the hilt of your sword and then lay him open from stem to stern

But then there's the EXPLOSIVE DECAPITATION, and every conversation you have after battle having you as some kind of canvas for red-colored horror.

This is my first time playing through the game so you guys are going to be hearing all about it

If you don't like being covered in gore after a battle, there's actually a setting you can change to fix that. It's called "persistent gore" in the settings I think. Click it off and enjoy your less silly game.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I expected to hate Fenris based on pre-release info, but he was pretty alright.
    Also you can literally take a slave right in front of him and he'll be all "you're such a dick" which is funny because it's true.

(I don't know that this is spoiler-worthy but rule of caution wins.)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I hated that part because(spoilers for Wyborn's sake):
    I wasn't even trying to take a slave. I was trying to help a girl who'd been a slave all her life and probably didn't know how to make it on the outside world. So I thought it better that she work in my house as a maid instead of just throwing her to the wolves.

And Fenris called me a douche.

Jackass.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Yeah, it's better than the OC imo. Better ambiguity in the villains. I think of Awakening like this:

Awakening is to Origins like Mask of the Betrayer is to Neverwinter Nights 2.

Let's not go too far. More like NWN1 expansions to the NWN1 OC. Except DAO's OC didn't suck.

I wasn't that impressed with 2H warrior's utility. Either type of rouge had much better DPS and sword and board had a ton more utility

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Fenris is OK, even if he is kind of mopey and
    Dumps you for three years even though he's still in love with you, the dope!

I like most of the characters, but the only character out of DA2 that I really adore is Varric. I'm still miffed they didn't make him a love interest.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wasn't even trying to take a slave. I was trying to help a girl who'd been a slave all her life and probably didn't know how to make it on the outside world. So I thought it better that she work in my house as a maid instead of just throwing her to the wolves.

Jackass.
    So just say
    actually I was giving her a JOB. And he will be all ...oh. That's...good. Sorry for bring a dick and assuming.

And then you gain friendship with him.

Fenris is pretty awesome. I just wish I could have five people and use Aveline, Varric, Isabela, and Fenris all at once.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Fenris is OK, even if he is kind of mopey and
    Dumps you for three years even though he's still in love with you, the dope!

I like most of the characters, but the only character out of DA2 that I really adore is Varric. I'm still miffed they didn't make him a love interest.

You just want him for his chest hair.

Orca on
  • Options

Jackass.
    So just say
    actually I was giving her a JOB. And he will be all ...oh. That's...good. Sorry for bring a dick and assuming.

And then you gain friendship with him.

Fenris is pretty awesome. I just wish I could have five people and use Aveline, Varric, Isabela, and Fenris all at once.

Yes, correct response: "I'm going to PAY her".

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I know I did that.

But the fact that he said it in the first place...

That's what hurt the most... ;_;

Honestly, though I really didn't care that much, I just thought it was an amusing scene and wanted to bring it up.

• Options
    It's a rule that the more a Bioware character is hated based on pre-release footage the better they are in the actual game

god forbid Fenris gets a little mopey when he's talking about being a slave

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Pretty much.

Bioware cycle when it comes to new characters.

Promo is released: "OMG, so and so is horrible I hate them. They're X stereotype to appeal to X gamer."

Actual game is released: "You know I actually like X character/X character isn't so bad. I sure learned my lesson about judging a book by its cover and all that."

Promo for next Bioware game is released: "OMG, so and so is horrible I hate them. They're X stereotype to appeal to X gamer."

That said it was funny when it came to Anders since it was pretty much the inverse. I remember people talking about how cool he looked and the fangirls swooning over him.

And then he was horrible.

Though I guess technically he wasn't a new character.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I know I did that.

But the fact that he said it in the first place...

That's what hurt the most... ;_;

Honestly, though I really didn't care that much, I just thought it was an amusing scene and wanted to bring it up.
    Oh, sorry. :( I've seen people actually use that scene as a reason to hate him so I assumed myself (Friendship +5)

And actually the best part of that whole sequence is
    You can tell her to go to your estate, then free her and tell her to ask Leandra for help. Leandra will send her to the Chantry.

So off she goes, full of hope and joy, ready to lead her new life as a free elf.

And then Anders blows her up.

In conclusion, fuck Anders.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I loved my elf maid

having everyone together in the house made it feel like a real home

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    To be fair, the fangirls still swoon after anders. :rotate: Makes GWJ unlistenable to when they have that one chick on

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'm talking about Act I, since I didn't have them together later on.
    Since Fenris refused to side with me and forced me to kill him.
    I mean in the DLC, since I don't believe there are any banters at the end of the game.

He's pretty chill with her even if she's a Circle Mage, actually. From Mark of the Assassin (taken from the wiki):
    Fenris: You should wear one of those Orlesian dresses, Bethany.

(If Bethany is a Circle mage)
    Bethany: Not Circle compliant, I'm afraid.
    Fenris: Is compliance your only concern?
    Bethany: Given some of your training? Flammability is a big one as well.

(If Bethany is a Warden)
    Bethany: If only. Imagine the snags I'd get chasing darkspawn.
    Fenris: Why does fashion not consider the needs of the woman on the go?
    Bethany: All right, don't work it too hard.

(While trying to find Hawke and Tallis)
    Bethany: Bloody runaround twisted shite of a maze.
    Fenris: Ooh, you've learned a few new words.

(If Bethany is a Circle mage)
    Bethany: Not every book in the Circle is high literature.
    Fenris: Obviously.

(If Bethany is a Warden)
    Bethany: Wardens get called a few.
    Fenris: Undeservedly, I'm sure.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Anders
    Is a dude driven insane by circumstance. I don't understand hating him. Hating what he did, sure, but Anders I feel sorry for.

• Options
    Oh also, in my most recent playthrough of DA2 I realized something about Merrill. Even though they play up the "you're so sweet and cute and innocent and could never hurt a fly!" angle with her, I'm pretty sure we, the audience, are supposed to think that she is a dumb person doing dumb things.
    Even Flemeth points it out to her.

"As for you, child, be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut."

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I dunno, when you have anders setting the low bar for dumb people doing dumb things...and then every single other mage in kirkwall...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anders
    Is a dude driven insane by circumstance. I don't understand hating him. Hating what he did, sure, but Anders I feel sorry for.
    why would you feel sorry for an abomination

like any other abomination, he must be put down

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Anders and Merrill are both incredibly dumb, just in different ways.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Anders and Merrill are both incredibly dumb, just in different ways.

Merrill's ways are adorable, and Anders' ways are punishable only by death.

Not to mention that Merrill seems to take a lot more precautions when doing anything than Anders does.

• Options
    I think they're also a really interesting look at how and why Magic is so dangerous even if you aren't corruptible.

Merrill is an altrusitic Blood Mage who only uses her own blood, takes care in her dealings with demons and is generally a 'nice person who wouldn't hurt a fly'.

Likewise, Anders bonds with a literal spirit of Justice he is friends with. They both have only the best intentions in mind.

Everything still manages to go to hell, and they illustrate exactly how dangerous magic is even if you're not a power hungry maniac. Especially since both of them seem to rebut certain ideas that were popular after Origins (If you bond with a good Fade spirit being an Abomination is awesome! If you only use your blood for blood magic and are careful when dealing with demons you can come out on top!)

• Options
    Anders
    why would you feel sorry for an abomination

like any other abomination, he must be put down

Anders
    I didn't put down Wynne, and Wynne never showed signs that the good spirit was going to corrupt her.

Heck, during Awakenings, I was hoping someone would step in and help Justice. Previous experience (Wynne) didn't dictate that this would create an abomination. Really there is no real exact experience to match what happened to Justice; maybe if he hadn't spent all that time in a corpse, if he had joined directly to Anders instead of spending time getting messed up with false human experience, then it would have been ok.

So while it was a mistake for him to do that, there was no way to anticipate beforehand that it would be a mistake

I've noticed -Tal that the only mistakes you think are forgivable are the ones made in self-interest. A mistake made for the sake of helping someone else is always kill worthy in your eyes. :bz

• Options
    Don't let spirits inside your body. Simple rule. Humans enter the fade, shit gets fucked up. Spirits enter the physical world, shit gets fucked up. Every single time, without exception. Keep them separate.

Wynne was acceptable in DAO because she was going to voluntarily die as soon as the archdemon was dead. Then in the books she decided to keep going with a spirit inside her body. Pretty sketch.

Z0re is correct. Intentions are largely irrelevant when it comes to mixing humans and spirits. Just don't do it. It never ever ends well ever and you're going to hurt people for no gain.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Don't let spirits inside your body. Simple rule. Humans enter the fade, shit gets fucked up. Spirits enter the physical world, shit gets fucked up. Every single time, without exception. Keep them separate.

Wynne was acceptable in DAO because she was going to voluntarily die as soon as the archdemon was dead. Then in the books she decided to keep going with a spirit inside her body. Pretty sketch.

Z0re is correct. Intentions are largely irrelevant when it comes to mixing humans and spirits. Just don't do it. It never ever ends well ever and you're going to hurt people for no gain.

Stay in school, and say No to Demons, kids.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Duncan is a douche. He's supposed to be all this great heroic father figure blah blah, but he's a douche.

You know this gonna sound like really shitty reasoning, but part of the reason I like Loghain aside from the voice is that it is so obvious the game wants you to dislike him. I sorta wanted to rebel against that. Just like it's so blatantly obvious that they want to like Duncan or at least think of him as the "GOOD GUY". With how morally gray the game was suppose to be I found how some of the characters were presented to be pretty annoying (Howe, Loghain, Duncan).

Admittedly in the big picture Loghain and Howe are more evil (if you want to use that term), but still I hated how obvious they made it in terms of presentation.

Egos on