As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I want to learn chess! How to proceed?

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Over the last couple of weeks I rediscovered Chess which I had not played since I was a kid. I have played a lot of games against the computer on chess.com and while I have slowly noticed an improvement in my game, I would like to try a more guided approach to learning the openings, strategies, etc.
I have already ordered a big old book on chess and now I am a bit unsure what software or online community offers the best tools to a beginner.
There are a ton of chess programs and different versions and it looks like either Fritz or Chessmaster is the way to go, but I noticed that chess.om also offers paid content in the form of tutorials, lessons to play through and play via internet.
If anyone can tell me if that content is any good, I would be willing to subscribe to them for a month or two, or what else is out there and not too costly(wouldn't want to buy software that costs more than 50$ or so for now)?

Librarian on

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    An excellent way to learn is to find games of masters and study them. Look at what they're doing, and see if you can determine why they do it. Set up a board and play out the game from both sides. Every five moves or so, stop and predict what move one player should make next. Then check the move list to see how accurate you were. If you didn't choose the same move, why? Determine whether the player had spotted something on the board that you missed.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Have you been only playing games, or have you also been doing tactics practice? Reddit has a good noob FAQ. For the novice, if you're going to study game, study endgame first (more tactics).

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    look for chess clubs around your area, most people enjoy showing new players the ropes. chess is a fantastic way to make friends.

• LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    So far I have only been playing games and doing some of the tactics lessons on chess.com that are free.
    And I ordered "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch.
    The reddit FAQ has some good info, thanks for that, I will try some of the sites they recommend.
    The chess club is something I didn't even think about, I will look into that.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    If you have a tablet- An iPad or iphone might be best since as far as I know it's definitely on iOS, but there are quite a few chess tutor apps out there. They've got tutorials and scenarios and really dissect the game. I grabbed a few and started using them and they're pretty good, and then most of those Apps also allow you to just play, so you can practice with a friend or family member.
    No substitute from learning from someone real but it might be a good thing to hold you over in the meantime.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Don't forget about the Chess Master series. They're pretty much the go-to game for chess advice.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • RaernRaern Registered User regular
    For learning tactics, puzzles based on actual games (as opposed to compositions with impossible positions) can be quite good. I often look up chessgames.com to see their puzzle of the day, which ranges from easy on a Monday to near-impossible on a Sunday, but all are examples from real games.

You'll probably improve faster practising against humans than computers as well, since computers tend to make 'artificial' mistakes when their difficulty is turned down. If you play Chess on a free website against other people, you'll be given a rating based on performance that will match you with similar players, and give you a measure of how you're improving.

Youtube is full of chess stuff. Being Youtube it's free, likely to have people talking who like their own voice too much, and of totally random quality. But you can find some good videos too, just keep an eye on the 'likes' generally.

Finally, even if you don't usually find a reason to go to a local library, they probably have a few books on chess lying around. Could be worth looking into.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    In terms of the mindset for the games (rather than pure logistics and strategy) I really loved The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin, the child chess prodigy that Searching for Bobby Fischer was based on.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    If you have an android phone you can get Shredder chess, it has tutorial modes and stuff. Pretty good at teaching you how to play. It costs like $5.

Not sure if it is available on other platforms.

• garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    Roman Lab

Get your hands on as many of these videos as you can.

• LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    I would like to recommend gameknot.com as a place to play chess. It's correspondence based on the web, but there are a lot of old games, forums, and annotations that will help your game. And you can sign up for free.