As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] now with single artists near you ($0.99/minute)

• Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm back guys, i dont know where ive been for the last few months.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Were you in the bathroom?

• Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Were you in the bathroom?

maybe just maybe. actually i got really sick for a month, and finally come right.
    so whats everyone been up too?

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Mustang wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »
    Sent out so many job applications this afternoon. They all want the same information that's in my bloody CV. I get that they're putting it into some kind of database that they have but can't they all just get together and use the same damn database?

Then they would be able to extrapolate that data and employ people who are better than you at stuff. What you're aiming for is the fat lazy HR person who picks up your CV and says "Fuck it, this guy will do."

Well, I did apply for a government job today...

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    It's crazy how buggy Maya can be. I've noticed that if I leave it open too long, it will just start ignoring commands completely.

Also I tried UVing a certain part of the model I'm working on, and it deleted material information from a handful of polygons nowhere near the selected section I was UVing. For no reason. And it kept deleting the material in other areas. I just restarted it and it went back to working completely fine again.

What in the seven hells, Maya

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    You think that's bad, try doing any kind of serious animation work in flash.

Not that I have, but I hear my animator at work bitching about it all day. And then he calls me over to witness said buggy-ness, and it works fine.

Me going over to his desk is probably saving the damn company at this point.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    While we're talking Ice Cream, if there's a Kroger or Smith's near where you live, get Graeters ice cream. Fucking godlike

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2012
    Sublimus wrote: »

Not that I have, but I hear my animator at work bitching about it all day. And then he calls me over to witness said buggy-ness, and it works fine.

I have to say that after using Flash for 9 months, I no longer really have to worry about losing information in a crash using any program that has a Ctrl-S hotkey; it's been drilled into me by necessity to hit Ctrl-S about every 15 seconds because Flash crashes so often.

My favorite was working on the map file in my old game, which had like 10000 symbols in it. It got to a point where doing anything- moving a symbol, drawing a line, selecting a tool- posed a 50% chance of a crash. D:<

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    That sounds horrific D:

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »

I have to say that after using Flash for 9 months, I no longer really have to worry about losing information in a crash using any program that has a Ctrl-S hotkey; it's been drilled into me by necessity to hit Ctrl-S about every 15 seconds because Flash crashes to often.

My favorite was working on the map file in my old game, which had like 10000 symbols in it. It got to a point where doing anything- moving a symbol, drawing a line, selecting a tool- posed a 50% chance of a crash. D:<

Yeah, I've been animating in flash for the past 5 years or so, and that sounds about right. The amount weird bugs we've experienced over the years from object naming to exports is pretty crazy. The number hours of work I've lost due to crashes is a number I do not wish to know. I lost half of a day once, and needless to say, I wasn't the easiest person to talk to for the rest of the day. I still get a mini-heart attack anytime the program hiccups for any reason.

I remember working on a long scene once, and all of a sudden, Flash wouldn't display keyframes after a certain point in the timeline. It's pretty hard to animate without any keyframes...

• Options
    This is why it always astounds me that people use Flash for broadcast animation...the cost savings of using it has to be offset by the cost of trucking in the bulk quantities of Valium required so the animators don't all kick their computers to death every other day.

• Options
    Oh, I don't take it out on my computer... It's not her fault.

But there IS a pretty good forehead shaped divot on my desk.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I don't get Sony releasing smaller/slimmer versions of the PS3 and everybody getting excited about it.
    It's the same fucking thing in different packaging, and probably only 12 months out from next gen consoles being announced.

• Options
    I don't get Sony releasing smaller/slimmer versions of the PS3 and everybody getting excited about it.
    It's the same fucking thing in different packaging, and probably only 12 months out from next gen consoles being announced.

You could say the same thing about Apple/iPhones, really.

• Options
    but the headphone jack is on the bottom!

• Options
    Oh, speaking of animation shit...this is some crazy shit Disney has come up with to finally make 3d shit look pretty convincingly hand-drawn. (Though you'd think at a certain point it might have just been easier to just draw it instead of doing all this 3d tech stuff.)

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/paperman-breakdown/#.UGvG-U3A_E3

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

and 20 dollars more because it is bundled with a game everyone who already owns a PS3 should already have.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    It is entirely possible that there are people out there who don't own a PS3 and don't want a catastrohuge monstrophony like the PS3 base model cluttering up their entertainment space.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    absurd

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    A more compact, energy efficient, cheaper, likely quieter and cooler version of a console most people don't own has been released to the market, with the successor looming at some undetermined point on the far horizon?

And people have mustered more excitement than a condescending yawn?

You silly, silly sheeple.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    fug smoke this joint

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    A more compact, energy efficient, cheaper, likely quieter and cooler version of a console most people don't own has been released to the market, with the successor looming at some undetermined point on the far horizon?

And people have mustered more excitement than a condescending yawn?

You silly, silly sheeple.

Meanwhile people buy and gobble up every iteration of the Nintendo ds that comes out.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I imagine most people who want to buy a PS3 would have, y'know, bought a PS3 buy now. It's been on the market for what, 7 years?

I don't own one, I wouldn't mind owning one just to play Uncharted, but making it smaller doesn't entice me. Keep it the same size and sell it for $150 and I might think about it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I imagine most people who want to buy a PS3 would have, y'know, bought a PS3 buy now. It's been on the market for what, 7 years?

I don't own one, I wouldn't mind owning one just to play Uncharted, but making it smaller doesn't entice me. Keep it the same size and sell it for $150 and I might think about it.

Okay but what if they made it even bigger and sold it for $90?

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Oh, speaking of animation shit...this is some crazy shit Disney has come up with to finally make 3d shit look pretty convincingly hand-drawn. (Though you'd think at a certain point it might have just been easier to just draw it instead of doing all this 3d tech stuff.)

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/paperman-breakdown/#.UGvG-U3A_E3

I'm always excited for visual filters because I imagine games using them eventually.

I've always wanted to play something that looks like painted frame-by-frame, like the gorgeous Robin Hood credits sequence, if making such filters were even possible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5Wqi2sm2o

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    That's some amazing piece of tech.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Alright, I've applied to a bunch of places for work. These companies include a couple of major banks, a government agency that deals with cancer and a bunch of tech companies. Hopefully, something comes of these. I'll have to try looking again tomorrow to see what else is out there.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Why am i in the office

I'm selling my PS3. Too bad you're not close by, I'd make you a good deal.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Holy crap dat automatic betweening!

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Holy crap dat automatic betweening!

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I wonder how often they have to go in and manually adjust the tweening. I remember seeing them do something similar with Tangled. Every now and then, the tweens for her hair would go batshit crazy.

edit: Found it... OK it's not exactly similar, but it is kinda funny when automation goes crazy.

http://youtu.be/9K-Gv4XVb10

Mynt on
  • Options
    hahahaha...

WRONG :P

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I made the mistake of being happy with some ad designs before sending them to the client to be nitpicked into oblivion. Curse my hubris!!!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I just had to put my roommate back to bed after she had a nightmare about Johnny Monsterpants.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    I made the mistake of being happy with some ad designs before sending them to the client to be nitpicked into oblivion. Curse my hubris!!!

Hahahaha! Oh man, that's like the death sentence!

Today, I got an email that said that they needed an adaptation of an existing design. It really wasn't an adaptation as much as it was a brand new design in a different size.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    I just had to put my roommate back to bed after she had a nightmare about Johnny Monsterpants.

Seriously, Dmac. That shit is scary. I'm glad you dont animate.

I roasted all these fucking pumpkin seeds and my BF and rommate wont fucking eat them. I dont want to eat two pumpkins worth of pumpkin seeds, dudes.

• Options
    edited October 2012

Hahahaha! Oh man, that's like the death sentence!

Today, I got an email that said that they needed an adaptation of an existing design. It really wasn't an adaptation as much as it was a brand new design in a different size.

http://clientsfromhell.net/post/32532538572/i-like-the-banner-but-you-need-to-change-the-font

Mynt on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Iruka I thought those two things were connected and I kept waiting for your pumpkin seed story to turn into some horrible monster related thing.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

did you try making the logo bigger

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Tube wrote: »

did you try making the logo bigger

I try not to complain too much about work online but some days...

This discussion has been closed.