As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[beauty thread] Vilify vanity or be beautifully brainwashed.

Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself.Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Social Entropy++
SUODA.gif

Welcome to the SE ++ Beauty Thread/Lookin' Fine Thread/Your Mother Would Kill You If She Saw You Walking Out of the House Like That Thread/etc.

Discuss all things makeup, hair, clothes, anything that you put on your person that makes you look in the mirror and go "yes this is acceptable for outside my house." Humans are vain creatures and if you've ever walked past a parked car and fixed your hair in their mirror then YOU BELONG WITH US.

+ Makeup

I'll be honest, my mother never taught me much about makeup. I spent a lot of time age 13 to 16 smearing foundation on my face and calling it a day, but thanks to the internet there is an AMAZING amount of resources that tell you everything you need to know about the stuff you put on your face. It's extremely overwhelming but there are plenty of people happy to do the legwork for you and shove it in your face in a tidy HTML package.

DISCLAIMER: These are just my favorites, you may not like them at all, but I'm offering them as a starting point if you don't already visit makeup blogs. Your mileage may vary. There's also a mix of skincare/fashion/etc mixed in with some of these.

Temptalia: I really like Temptalia, her website has gotten a lot easier to read over the years and she covers most large cosmetic company releases as well as both drugstore and high end. She will swatch literally ANYTHING on her face regardless if it looks good, just so you can see it in action. Really true to color pictures and honest reviews, and she also posts possible "dupes" for products if necessary. Don't want to spend 40 dollars on a lipstick? She'll tell you the cheaper version to get. She also has the amazing Foundation Matrix that will help you match liquid magic to ya face.

Essiebutton: Estee is super pretty and I find her YouTube videos really entertaining, her blog is not as in depth as Temptalia, but she posts some interesting stuff. She lives in England, though she doesn't seem to post much that's not available in other countries. She is pretty much my complexion twin and if you're fairer skinned I think she's a great resource for what can work for paler skin.

Lisa Eldridge: The big mama of makeup. A working, professional makeup artist, there aren't many people in the beauty community that can disagree with Lisa. Her videos are extremely informative and seeing the stuff she does for magazine shoots is just like.. wow. I found her acne coverup video really useful in my own life, and I'm sure there are tidbits of wisdom to be found for other people as well.

MakeupAlley: What I consider the Wild Wild West of the makeup community, it's an extremely large resource of reviews. You can search by type of product, brand, name, anything, and boom there are 100+ reviews of people who have tried it. Keep in mind these are reviews by random people, and things that some people hate (especially skincare/foundation) you may find work for you. So use your best judgement. There are also boards for specific things that can be helpful sometimes, but really I think the reviews are the real meat of the site.

+ Fashion

I consider myself a minamilist hipster, but I try to dress in a way that's not completely boring. I do tend live in jeans and tshirts, but that doesn't mean I don't like to look at pretty things. The only fashion blog I read is Keiko Lynn and she's a bit hit or miss, as are all things, but I can tell you where on the web I like to window shop. That's helpful, right?

Etsy: I bet you've never heard of this website, aren't you glad you have me? I mean what would you do without me. Etsy is where I get literally all of my jewelry, and that's only like a tiny fraction of what this website has. Vintage clothes and shoes, kitchenware, handmade soaps and even handmade makeup, it's all in here. Like all thrift-esque places you need to wade through the shit to find the gold, but when you find it!

Modcloth: I personally don't buy from here, I tried to be a skirt/dress person but I don't think I've found my stride with it yet. A lot of lady forumers have ordered from here with great results, though.

Zappos/6pm: Owned by the same company, these two sites are great for shoes/handbags. Great shipping and return policies, I know Kate has personal experience with them. You can ask her giant pile of shoes.

lookbook.nu: A total grab bag of fashion, a place where people can post outfits of their own. You can point and laugh, be inspired, or just close the browser window with a furrow'd brow after a few pages. It is what it is.

Dappered: A pretty cool website with men's fashion advice, as well as keeping you updated on sales going on. There's also a ladies version, Full Clutch. (Thanks Shazkar!)

+Skincare

My zitty ass self is not the best person to give you skincare advice, but Acne.org is a good starting point for at least learning about the different treatment options. There are tons of different chemicals to put on your face that do different things, so just try and educate yourself the best you can and then try what works out for you. Things that work for other people won't work for you, so take their reviews/advice with a grain of salt.

Sara Lynn on

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    yaaay i was hoping someone would re-make this soon

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I got a nice new haircut lately!

The cardigan is new too I got it at Express for twenty bucks which was pretty awesome.

Aaaaand I don't have to wear makeup to cover up my bad skin any more, which is great. These are my contributions.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I am super bored so I will probably continue to fiddle with the OP, but I wanted to get it up because I feel like this thread is now my baby. I am with child thread.

I am 70% sure I am going to call the salon tomorrow and make an appointment next week to get my hair cut and possibly dyed. 70%.

Clint you are a baby faced fresh patootie. Geez.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Can't live without that style baby

I read some of effortless gent and it is mostly good stuff I just felt I was a littlebeyond it

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Yeah kind of! I don't mind it too much, I prefer to have people think I'm 17 rather than my actual age

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    tom is actually posting a picture of me please do not be fooled

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    swag

• Options
    swag

#rare

• Options
    Crwth you absolute piece of crap

• Options
    Crwth you absolute piece of crap

not cool dude not even the slightest bit of cool

not even just the tip of cool

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    let's see, urban outfitters is doing their fall sale right now. cool!

h&m still doesn't have online shopping in america as far as I can tell and I am so angry you have NO IDEA

• Options
    the fact that uniqlo still doesn't have online shopping makes me want to rip out my hair in rage

it's like come the fuck on man it's 2012

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Everyone thinks I am 19 when they first meet me, and I really don't know why. I blame the acne but even when my skin is moderately clear I get pegged for way younger. It annoys me more than it should, probably.

I bought this nail polish yesterday, because obviously I have a problem. Probably won't paint them until tomorrow, though. Essie's Angora Cardi. Kind of hate the name, but, oh well.

YD3uO.jpg

UGH why are you telling me about the UO sale. I hate supporting them but 100% of things I own and love from them I have gotten on sale. Now I am on their website. Pray for me.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I got a nice new haircut lately!

The cardigan is new too I got it at Express for twenty bucks which was pretty awesome.

Aaaaand I don't have to wear makeup to cover up my bad skin any more, which is great. These are my contributions.

Oh my god it is your day off isn't it

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    October is the month where I start showing off new ladyclothes and stuff.

Still gotta get a haircut, and I'm not sure what to go with.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I don't follow you, Metalbourne. sorry!

• Options
    i want money to buy clothes

where can i most easily steal a lot of money from

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i want money to buy clothes

where can i most easily steal a lot of money from

this fella named d

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    deeze nutz motherfucker

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i'm hoping it's because you're literally JGL

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    deeze nutz motherfucker

what are you using your ballsack as a coin purse or something

might as well get some use outta it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    the fact that uniqlo still doesn't have online shopping makes me want to rip out my hair in rage

One of the reasons I want to move to NYC in the next few months is to go to a Uniqlo store as often as possible.

It's not one of my main reasons I want to move there, but it's close.

If they made an online store, I think part of every paycheck I ever make would go towards something there, so it's probably for the best that they don't have online shopping.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

it was very obscure, but you look like ferris bueller

• Options

One of the reasons I want to move to NYC in the next few months is to go to a Uniqlo store as often as possible.

It's not one of my main reasons I want to move there, but it's close.

If they made an online store, I think part of every paycheck I ever make would go towards something there, so it's probably for the best that they don't have online shopping.

yeah word

i mean, there's Suddenlee, but i hate paying that fee every time i order something

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Well, there's the store in San Francisco now.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Well, there's the store in San Francisco now.

that doesn't do me any good in the midwest : (

they need to open one in chicago already

or cincinnati

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I dyed my hair tonight. When I get up in the morning I'll post pictures of it. Considering I did it because I HAD to, I'm surprised how much I like it.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    beauty thread
    what is a distributor

like, schott has an international distributer in amsterdam
    http://www.schottnyc.com/distributors.cfm
    but what does that mean
    is it a store? can I go there???

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    That looks like a retailer named Jr Brands that may carry schott merchandise

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    But then I go here, http://jrbrands.blogspot.nl/ and it's like, Showroom? So what's a showroom? it's not a place where you can buy stuff I don't think is it?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Some do, some don't, depending on demand, so I can't say for that particular store. You might have to just email/call them to see

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    hurm
    will do
    thanks!!

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Getting a much needed haircut tomorrow.

I get more compliments on it when it has a little length but I just can't stand when the sides get this long and start growing outwards.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hey fashionable folks, it's about to be coat weather and I could use a new one. In particular, I'm looking for a black wool peacoat, knee-length-ish, double-breasted if possible, and quality. Something a nice mix of casual and dressy. Price isn't too much of a concern, though I wouldn't like to spend more than say $500 or so. I've looked online in the past, but I don't know brands so I'm not sure what's good and what isn't.
    Any suggestions?

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    It seems like the longer my hair gets, the more of it I appear to lose in the shower. I guess I should brush before washing?

• Options
    It seems like the longer my hair gets, the more of it I appear to lose in the shower. I guess I should brush before washing?

generally you just don't NOTICE when you lose your short hairs. Long hair you do notice.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    beauty thread
    what is a distributor

like, schott has an international distributer in amsterdam
    http://www.schottnyc.com/distributors.cfm
    but what does that mean
    is it a store? can I go there???

It routes the voltage into the ignition pins of the engine.

(Stores do not buy direct from the factory as the individual shipping costs are too high. Things go from the factory, to a distributor then they get shipped to a store)

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

generally you just don't NOTICE when you lose your short hairs. Long hair you do notice.

It's true. I also tend to comb through my hair with my fingers while I'm conditioning it so sometimes it freaks me out when there seems to be a lot falling out.

But it's normal. Promise.

• Options
    When I had REALLY long hair I could pull out clumps at will.

This discussion has been closed.