As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

February NPD Sales -- HOLY SHIT!

12346»

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh gods, imagine the numbers for Pokemon. Or SSBB.

in japan, pokemon sold over 1 mil (both DS versions combined) in a day. That was just insane. Five hour lines just to get pokemon.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »

in japan, pokemon sold over 1 mil (both DS versions combined) in a day. That was just insane. Five hour lines just to get pokemon.

I honestly think that Microsoft should not even try with a handheld at this point.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I was at Gamestop the other day. A guy was buying a used PS2, he was saying, just so that he could play God of War 2.

In Fry's the other night a sales person was telling this guy, who was about to buy a ps2, about the games available. The guy then saw a PS3 and was like "wow, the PS3 is already out too?" He then asked some questions about it. I then walked down the isle and missed a bit of the conversation but walked back and the conclusion was: "So, for 130 bucks I get the selection of all of these games - some of them already bargain priced? And for 600 dollars I get those?"(points at the PS3 games) he then laughed and said he'd probably end up getting a PS3 when the PS4 came out ;)

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jensen wrote: »
    I was at Gamestop the other day. A guy was buying a used PS2, he was saying, just so that he could play God of War 2.

In Fry's the other night a sales person was telling this guy, who was about to buy a ps2, about the games available. The guy then saw a PS3 and was like "wow, the PS3 is already out too?" He then asked some questions about it. I then walked down the isle and missed a bit of the conversation but walked back and the conclusion was: "So, for 130 bucks I get the selection of all of these games - some of them already bargain priced? And for 600 dollars I get those?"(points at the PS3 games) he then laughed and said he'd probably end up getting a PS3 when the PS4 came out ;)
    Isn't the PS3 mostly backward compatible with PS2 games though? I remember hearing about some problems, but I thought that most PS2 games still worked on PS3. It seems like that would squash the "bigger library" argument and make a PS3 much more attractive. Is that not the case?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Isn't the PS3 mostly backward compatible with PS2 games though? I remember hearing about some problems, but I thought that most PS2 games still worked on PS3. It seems like that would squash the "bigger library" argument and make a PS3 much more attractive. Is that not the case?

It's the case for another few months, then Sony is replacing hardware-based BC (i.e., the good kind that covers nearly everything) with software-based BC (i.e., the kind Microsoft tried with the 360, and we both know how well that turned out).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's the case for another few months, then Sony is replacing hardware-based BC (i.e., the good kind that covers nearly everything) with software-based BC (i.e., the kind Microsoft tried with the 360, and we both know how well that turned out).
    Wow, that seems like a fairly dumb idea. So I guess the moral of the story is to get a PS3 now while it still has decent BC.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Wow, that seems like a fairly dumb idea. So I guess the moral of the story is to get a PS3 now while it still has decent BC.

Either that, or get a PS2 now and wait for the PS3's price to drop by at least $170.

jothki on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

It's a "You're damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. The reason why Sony's cutting hardware based BC is to lower manufacturing costs.

Either buy it now at $500/$600, or wait till manufacturing gets cheaper, without 90% BC.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The bigger library argument works to both systems benefit. To this guy, who didn't even know the ps3 existed yet and seemed ignorant about video games, paying 600 dollars for a system with backwards compatibility probably didn't make sense. For a casual game player, who's not up on the latest games, or really interested in graphics or power, and probably doesn't know or care about blu-ray he's not really interested in the new games since he hasn't experienced the old ones. While to people who have old favorites and blacklogs of games they want to play on the ps2 but still want a ps3 will look at BC ability as a huge bonus. But really my point with that story was to point out that the PS2 is still appealing to some people out there. Sort of like God of War 2 still selling systems.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MGS3-SS wrote: »
    The PS2 still sells?!

It took me almost a week after Christmas to find a store that had a PS2.

Why was I looking for a PS2? So I could buy it, obviously.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    IIRC, didn't the DC and N64 each score 1 new sale in these NPD figures? Everyone seems to stop at the 480 Xboxen.

R.I.P. Xbox, we hardly knew ye.

Jazz on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just curious, but does anyone have the sales history of the 360 for its first year? I am curious to see how it stacks up to the ps3 and the wii.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The PS2 still sells?!

What's scary is there's still another couple of price drops that can be wrung out of the PS2.

Rook on
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PS2 still sells?!

After Christmas it was way easier to find a PS3 than a PS2 around here. The 2s were selling like hotcakes, the 3s, not so much.

The Savior on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Savior wrote: »
    The PS2 still sells?!

After Christmas it was way easier to find a PS3 than a PS2 around here. The 2s were selling like hotcakes, the 3s, not so much.

The PS2 is a great deal to gamers of all ages and incomes. The PS3, not so much. So it makes sense.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Sweet fancy Moses.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The PS2 still sells?!

What's scary is there's still another couple of price drops that can be wrung out of the PS2.

I hadn't even thought of that.

After another price drop or two, I'll pick up a PS2 slim just as a backup for when my PS2 brick dies. I love my PS/PS2 library too much to risk losing access to all of it.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Sweet fancy Moses.

Yeah, and it's over 5 million now I believe. If not, I know it's over 4 million and is close to 5.

bruin on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Sweet fancy Moses.

Yeah, and it's over 5 million now I believe. If not, I know it's over 4 million and is close to 5.
    Pretty sure it reached 5 mil last week.

:o

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    Just curious, but does anyone have the sales history of the 360 for its first year? I am curious to see how it stacks up to the ps3 and the wii.

According to vgcharts.org (it's reliable you dinks emot-argh.gif ) it stacks up like so:

hardline2.php?cons1=X360&cons2=Wii&type=0

The Wii's been selling a little better in "slow months" than the 360 did so far, but the sample size is still a bit thin. It was last Christmas where the 360 dominated: roughly a fifth of all the 360s currently in circulation in the United States were sold in December of 2006. Even though it was supply-constrained, the Wii sold half that in Dec 2006.

And yes, Diamond/Pearl has broken the five million mark in Japanland, although sales have been slowing down some. It'll be some time, if ever, before it breaks 6 million in Japan. I expect it'll be the first DS game to beat Nintendogs in the U.S. though. Wi-fi netbattle and trade is going to bring a LOT of old Pokemon hands back into the fold, especially since they don't have to be "seen playing a kid's game" in public anymore.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't help but compare the PS3 to the Sega Saturn. Both over priced, both hard to develop for, both introduced to the market with a series of business mistakes and both severely undercut by the competition. I wonder if, in 10 years, the PS3 will have a cult following like the Saturn.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Wi-fi netbattle and trade is going to bring a LOT of old Pokemon hands back into the fold, especially since they don't have to be "seen playing a kid's game" in public anymore.
    Certainly, it'll be the first Pokemon game I've actually owned since Pokemon Red, and the first one I've played a significant amount since Silver (not counting spin-offs here, since I do own Snap and Stadium, and I've played the hell out of both).

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

According to vgcharts.org (it's reliable you dinks emot-argh.gif ) it stacks up like so:

The Wii's been selling a little better in "slow months" than the 360 did so far, but the sample size is still a bit thin. It was last Christmas where the 360 dominated: roughly a fifth of all the 360s currently in circulation in the United States were sold in December of 2006. Even though it was supply-constrained, the Wii sold half that in Dec 2006.

And yes, Diamond/Pearl has broken the five million mark in Japanland, although sales have been slowing down some. It'll be some time, if ever, before it breaks 6 million in Japan. I expect it'll be the first DS game to beat Nintendogs in the U.S. though. Wi-fi netbattle and trade is going to bring a LOT of old Pokemon hands back into the fold, especially since they don't have to be "seen playing a kid's game" in public anymore.

Holy Shit. The 360 really fucking exploded last december. Those are some insane numbers.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think you're a bit pessimistic against the Wii, but then again, I think that Nintendo's managed to do almost everything right this gen, with a few small exceptions.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Savior wrote: »
    The PS2 still sells?!

The PS2 is a great deal to gamers of all ages and incomes. The PS3, not so much. So it makes sense.

Guitar Hero 2 was a huge sales driver for the PS2 during the entire holiday.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    No, it's not a combination of the two. You're taking limited anecdotal evidence and applying it to console sale numbers orders of magnitude larger in scope, resulting in a totally spurious conclusion.

Hi Terrorbyte.

I'm eager for your analysis.

More Money = Better Than

Terrorbyte on