As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking up acting in Vancouver

ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey folks,

Lately I've gained a pretty huge interest in taking up acting. The idea of becoming a character, someone else entirely is fascinating to me. I've almost thought about theatre but I come from a (somewhat) film background, so I feel I'd be more quickly to learn and engage in that medium.

I've been an indie filmmaker/director for several years now, and I want to see what it's like on the other side of the camera. I have almost zero experience acting, besides cameos in my own projects, or appearances in student films. Obviously, these don't let me really get the gist of what it means to act.

I s'pose I'm just looking for general advice, comments, etc and any resources to classes or seminars where I can learn from the ground up. So far, the only worthwhile website I've come across is actorsfoundry.com. They have a few classes but I can't really judge whether they'd be appropriate for a complete beginner or not.

I'll also mention that I can't afford to look at university/college level full-time courses as they are simply too expensive ($20,000 seems to be the average) and I'm already paying off debt from film school.

Thanks in advance!

"Be excellent to each other."
ninzorjons on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    See if the universities offer continuing studies/night classes rather than full courses. My school offers some 5 week courses for $700. I dont know much about acting, but I would look at your local theatres. I know stage acting and film acting are pretty different, but I bet there are some cheap workshops to help you get your feet wet.

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    they're really not so different. only the size of the performance.

http://www.vancouveractorsguide.com/