As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Commodore returns as Gaming PC manufacturer

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Zounds! Check out this BBC News article. Very cool. I'll be buying a new PC later this year and will seriously consider Commodore, assuming they'll ship and sell in the US.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ...welcome back, old friend.

TheSonicRetard on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll buy it only if it can run WorkBench :)

ben0207 on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    _42684689_commodore_gamingpc.jpg_42684691_commodore_gamingpcs.jpg_42685475_commodore_gamingpc1.jpg

Love the minimalist, smooth design, though I could stand the logo on the sides to be a bit smaller.

Recoil42 on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll be buying a new PC later this year and will seriously consider Commodore, assuming they'll ship and sell in the US.

Based on what?

The name?

You could build a better computer for less on your own, including a custom paint job or custom case with graphics.

Deusfaux on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was happy to hear that the owners of the "Commodore" name were making a new computer... I hoped it would be true to the spirit of the 64, and would be a cheap, hackable gaming PC with some unique features.

But now I see it's just another high-end PC with a wacky paintjob. What's next? Alienware renaming themselves "Spectrum"?

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    You could build a better computer for less on your own, including a custom paint job or custom case with graphics.
    People always say that, and fail utterly to consider the possibility that this is beyond some people's capabilities. If I knew how to build my own PC, I assure you I would. As it happens I don't, and while I have the money I'm quite happy to pay that bit extra to have someone else build it for me.
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    Based on what?

The name?
    Honestly? Yes. Commodore were the creators of the computers I grew up with, predominantly the Amiga range (although I did have some experience with a C64). Seeing them making a comeback of sorts is seventeen different layers of awesome in my book, and I want do my bit to ensure that they stay around this time.

Plus, there's something deeply satisfying about the prospect of running Amiga Forever on a Commodore-branded PC.

Squirminator2k on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly? Yes. Commodore were the creators of the computers I grew up with, predominantly the Amiga range (although I did have some experience with a C64). Seeing them making a comeback of sorts is seventeen different layers of awesome in my book, and I want do my bit to ensure that they stay around this time.

But it's not Commodore anymore. It's some company who bought the Commodore name off another company that sold it to raise some quick cash.

Commodore went bankrupt in 1994.

They're dead, Jim.

The Commodore name was sold to Escom, who sold it to Tulip, who then sold it to Yeahronimo Media, who then sold it to a new company, "Commodore Gaming".

Commodore Gaming have nothing to do with the Commodore of old... they are just trying to profit from the name.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AS LONG AS THERE IS ONE FUNCTIONING COMMODORE-COMPUTER-THINGY, COMMODORE LIVES!

RichardTauber on
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    I was happy to hear that the owners of the "Commodore" name were making a new computer... I hoped it would be true to the spirit of the 64, and would be a cheap, hackable gaming PC with some unique features.

Well if it's too unique then Windows games wouldn't work on it, and there's no way anyone would buy one then. If it's not too unique there's nothing they could do that any other manufacturer couldn't get to work on their system and therefore is no longer unique. Cheap gaming PCs are already around, you build them yourself from newegg (or insert the cheap parts store for your country here), and the price difference to a prebuilt won't be much different except you pick exactly the setup you want for your price. It may have been a nice thing to hope for but since the company went under some years ago, the original idea couldn't have been too profitable.

djklay on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

But it's not Commodore anymore. It's some company who bought the Commodore name off another company that sold it to raise some quick cash.

Commodore went bankrupt in 1994.

They're dead, Jim.

The Commodore name was sold to Escom, who sold it to Tulip, who then sold it to Yeahronimo Media, who then sold it to a new company, "Commodore Gaming".

Commodore Gaming have nothing to do with the Commodore of old... they are just trying to profit from the name.

Well then consider this: I am a consumer whore. It's Brand Loyalty, isn't it? Commodore Gaming know that there are people like myself who will buy from them just because of the Commodore name, and they're taking advantage of it. Usually I would consider this a problem, but in this instance I want to be taken advantage of. It's just good to see that C= logo on a computer again. I don't care how it got there.

Incidentally the only thing that Commodore sold to Escom was their Amiga division, so far as I recall. I certainly remember VisCorp owning Amiga Technologies after Escom went under, but I don't know what happened to it after that point. Research is required!
    AS LONG AS THERE IS ONE FUNCTIONING COMMODORE-COMPUTER-THINGY, COMMODORE LIVES!
    Preach it, Father!

Squirminator2k on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    People always say that, and fail utterly to consider the possibility that this is beyond some people's capabilities. If I knew how to build my own PC, I assure you I would. As it happens I don't, and while I have the money I'm quite happy to pay that bit extra to have someone else build it for me.

It is, however, remarkably easy to learn.
    As long as you don't have the kind of (lack of) manual dexterity that beaks components when inserting them.

Xagarath on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want one of these commodore PCs in a C64 case.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So beautiful...

*sniff*

Dammit, now I'm all misty.

Meiz on
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

As long as you don't have the kind of (lack of) manual dexterity that beaks components when inserting them.

My computer no longer has working PS/2 ports. I accomplished this by installing a second hard drive into the computer. Read into that what you will.

Squirminator2k on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    _42685475_commodore_gamingpc1.jpg

Love the minimalist, smooth design, though I could stand the logo on the sides to be a bit smaller.

That pink one... looked like something else for a second.

Rook on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So these are folks who had absolutely nothing to do with the C-64 whoring out the name just for a few bucks?

Allrighty, then.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, I'll just overclock my commodore 64.
    Alot.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

My computer no longer has working PS/2 ports. I accomplished this by installing a second hard drive into the computer. Read into that what you will.

I built mine in a lamer fashion, I pick all my pieces from a small OEM supply store but I let the store do the assembly. The guy did a much metter job than me at neatly placing all the cables and keeping the box clean. I still get a custom PC plus an assembly job from a guy that does this everyday. I just hate doing this myself and having to order a new motherboard or processor because I pressed a little too hard or hooked something. I don't mind changing parts once everything is assembled though, my current PC has received new life last year with a new videocard and it feels good.

I am all for the Commodore PC if it is priced reasonably close to the cost of the sum of it's parts and if they actually give you a full parts listing when buying these things. Just try to buy an HP machine and finding out what motherboard is included.

Handkor on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    oh man those cases are rad

bongi on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it's terrible that someone is capitalizing on my love of the Commodore brand for a quick buck.

I want the black one.

Lindsay Lohan on