As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excel question - merging sheets

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have two lists, each with two columns.

List A contains over 800 names in one column and "Yes" in the next column.

List B contains just under 100 names in one column and "No" in the next column.

All of the names from List B are on List A. I want to combine these two lists so that the names in List A that are duplicated in List B simply get updated in column 2 as "No."

Is there a way to do this easily?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Indeed there is. Here is the easiest way.

Add a third column on List A and use a VLOOKUP to see if that name appears on List B.
    Add a filter and update the 'hits'

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Would you be able to spell that out a bit more? I don't quite follow.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Are the lists on separate sheets or on a single sheet?
    =vlookup(Value searching for, range you want to look through, index on row, if need exact match)

So for example, say List A is columns A & B (A being names, B being value), and List B is Columns C & D(c being name, D being value), with header values on the first row.

B2 = VLOOKUP(A2, C:C, 3, FALSE)

You could probably then add in an if statement

B2 = IF(VLOOKUP(A2, C:C, 3, FALSE), "NO", "YES") so that IF Vlookup finds the value in C (list 2), make it NO, else it's not found and make it yes. Then all you need to do is account for when #N/A comes in by using ISNA() function in excel.

to be something like:

B2 = IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2, C:C, 3, FALSE)), "NO", "YES")

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    That's perfect. Thanks guys!