As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Walking Thread [Season 1, 2, 3, and 4 Spoilers Inside]

AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk!The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
5eDMP.jpg

Season Three ComicCon Trailer (Character Spoilers)
Sundays at 9pm on AMC (Not on Dish!)

Please spoiler tag info from current episodes. Everything from the first two seasons is fair game though, so beware.

Lh96QHG.png
AManFromEarth on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Long term if you could establish some space, or even rooftops, with a minimal level of skill you could subsistence farm pretty indefinately

Oh yes, with 99% of people dead it would be pretty easy to just go steal some farming equipment and farm. Just like with food, there would be enough diesel for decades and fertilizer for even longer if you don't need to worry about super high yields. Just take food from peoples houses and stores until you get better at farming.

The problem here is that fossil fuels have a shelf life. Eventually, it'll degrade and ruin the engines on your farming implements, cars, generators, etc. That's assuming some other maintenance problem doesn't crop up that you can't fix with available parts and hand tools.

Of course, the TV show also ignores this fact, given that they're around a year out from Z-Day and still driving around their fleet of cars (including their surprisingly clean brand new Hyundai, product placement is silly).

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So both Rick and Carl have torches as silencers on their guns. But Carl's is pointed so the former lens is the barrel, making it look like a loudener.

Carl

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Of all the real life fact thingies that zombie fiction glosses over I think I can forgive rampant use of stale gasoline.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So both Rick and Carl have torches as silencers on their guns. But Carl's is pointed so the former lens is the barrel, making it look like a loudener.

Carl
    I can't help but think of it like a megaphone, but it seems, at least in terms of heat/flash, that it'd be less noticeable at night?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm assuming all those zombie prisoners locked in their cells starved to death. What a horrible way to go.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    :C

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Diesel lasts longer right?

just drive a semi around

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm assuming all those zombie prisoners locked in their cells starved to death. What a horrible way to go.

That's a really good and really creepy point!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    You can make diesel without a lot of fancy equipment.

MKR on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I just started reading the comic-massive-baby-killing-digest-edition and I'm surprised this got turned into the excellent show 'cause... the comic pretty much sucks.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Some probably died to the pandemic which started off the zombie apocalypse.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I don't know. I could see the guards just abandoning the post when things start to go to shit and letting them starve. I think it'd be hard for a zombie to get into a prison and then get at people locked in their cells.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Of course we don't know how the outbreak started so who knows.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    as long as the gas hasn't gelled you can usually get it burning again with some gasoline stabilizer. If it's clear gas, as in no ethanol, it can last quite a long time easily a couple years, without any stabilization needed. Honestly its product placement but shit, everybody should be driving surbabans and jeeps. Millions on the roads and so many spare parts.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MKR wrote: »
    You can at make diesel without a lot of fancy equipment.

Not to turn this into a survivalist thread, but, you can make wood gas. Which makes diesel very favorable.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

I don't know. I could see the guards just abandoning the post when things start to go to shit and letting them starve. I think it'd be hard for a zombie to get into a prison and then get at people locked in their cells.

I always assume with zombie apocalypse scenarios that when the zombie virus or whatever starts going around, it just flat out kills a minimum of 60% of Earth's population overnight. Nasty fevers world wide, resulting in dead people, resulting in zombies. Which also explains why the military doesn't just squash it out, because 60% of them get sick and die, too.

reVerse on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »

I always assume with zombie apocalypse scenarios that when the zombie virus or whatever starts going around, it just flat out kills a minimum of 60% of Earth's population overnight. Nasty fevers world wide, resulting in dead people, resulting in zombies. Which also explains why the military doesn't just squash it out, because 60% of them get sick and die, too.

Perhaps, but that takes away the slow build up that I prefer.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Spoilers about the end of the episode
    Here's a link with Glen Mazzara talking about the prisoners we see at the end of the episode.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/14/the-walking-dead-meet-the-spoiler-glen-mazzara/

Mild spoilers, nothing groundbreaking. It's stuff you'll see in the next episode anyway. [/spoiler}

reVerse on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

So you prefer the random stories of people on bath salts eating people before the shit hits the fan? ;-)

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

So you prefer the random stories of people on bath salts eating people before the shit hits the fan? ;-)

: D

I don't know, I like both. I like the NOTLD where it all goes to crap immediately, and I like the creeping feeling of the slow buildup in World War Z.

I think books demand a slower pace while TV/Film are better with the HOLYSHITITSALLGOINGTOHELL bit.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Though if you think about it a zombie apocalypse is only really feasible* with the kind of thing you're talking about.

*very loose definition of feasible here

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Here's a link with Glen Mazzara talking about the prisoners we see at the end of the episode.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/14/the-walking-dead-meet-the-spoiler-glen-mazzara/

Mild spoilers, nothing groundbreaking. It's stuff you'll see in the next episode anyway. [/spoiler}
    So what were these guys doing all year? Chillin' in that one room, not clearing the rest of the prison? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options

So what were these guys doing all year? Chillin' in that one room, not clearing the rest of the prison? :P
    Well, if the room has access to the food storages (it kinda looked like a kitchen/mess hall) and the only way out are those dark, labyrinthine, zombie filled corridors... probably?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you're trapped in a mess hall, what are you going to do for weapons? Stab zombies with salad tongs and plastic knives?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    If you're trapped in a mess hall, what are you going to do for weapons? Stab zombies with salad tongs and plastic knives?

If american media has taught me anything, every one in prison has, at minimum, 2 shivs on them at any given moment.

• Options
    In the episode, they were pictured as having some what appears to be a lead pipe (maybe a nightstick?), a broom handle, and a hammer. So, y'know, whatever they could find in the maintenance closet. Of course, they probably have some weapons that they took off prison guards, and almost certainly have more than what we saw in the 5 seconds they were onscreen.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    They probably ducked in the mess hall because of the zombie swarm. It was handcuffed after all There is probably a 2nd entrance that's locked from the inside..

bowen on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

If american media has taught me anything, every one in prison has, at minimum, 2 shivs on them at any given moment.

Uh huh.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I just started reading the comic-massive-baby-killing-digest-edition and I'm surprised this got turned into the excellent show 'cause... the comic pretty much sucks.

This is the opposite of a good opinion.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    All I know is, Mini-Axel is an acceptable version of Axel, at least visually. "Holy shit!"

I've said before that he is my favorite comic character. I have high hopes for his TV counterpart. (I'm guessing big, biker Axel has changed into small, sarcastic/funny Axel)

Axel_01.pngwalking-dead-prison-survivor.jpg

Also, for all you still waiting on Tyreese: it isn't gonna happen. He's obviously been replaced by the cooler, Darryl.

Fortunately, T-Dogg got a ton of exposure in the opener, so maybe he'll do more this season.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Darryl is pretty cool. Although I'm taken aback by his ability to resist offers of a sexual nature from a moderately attractive woman. I mean Christ, maybe just a handy? Loosen up a bit.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Uh huh.

Admittedly, I haven't seen this episode yet, so I don't know if my response is actually relevant in the least.

• Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    All I know is, Mini-Axel is an acceptable version of Axel, at least visually. "Holy shit!"

I've said before that he is my favorite comic character. I have high hopes for his TV counterpart. (I'm guessing big, biker Axel has changed into small, sarcastic/funny Axel)

Axel_01.pngwalking-dead-prison-survivor.jpg

Also, for all you still waiting on Tyreese: it isn't gonna happen. He's obviously been replaced by the cooler, Darryl.

Fortunately, T-Dogg got a ton of exposure in the opener, so maybe he'll do more this season.

I think Kirkman or somebody said T-Dogg was going to get some development this year.

Which is good, cause I like him. I hope the first development is a proper fucking name. Having Dale running around calling him T-Dogg was all kinds of silly.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    his name is Theodore Douglas

• Options
    Somehow that's worse.

I remember hearing it, but I couldn't remember it because it's never used. But I've mostly gotten over it. He's a cool cat.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    If he wants to be called T-Dog, then that's what people oughta call him. It's just common courtesy.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    The Walking Dead breaks it's own records, and others too.
    As it entered its third season last night, nothing was expected for AMC's "The Walking Dead" less of a very strong ratings performance. After two record-breaking seasons for cable TV, the adaptation of the Image Comics/Skybound series by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard had already established itself as one of the winningest shows on TV in terms of sheer audience numbers. But even considering that, the response that came back for the "Seed" episode was surprising.

AMC has released word (found via Futon Critic) that last night's installment of the series was not only the highest-rated premiere for the show to date and not just the highest-rated cable premiere on record, but it was also the highest rated debut for any show on TV period.

"The 9pm ET premiere garnered 10.9 million viewers and a 7.4 HH rating making it the highest rated episode in series history, and growing more than 50% over last season's premiere," the PR read. "The season 3 premiere now reigns as the biggest telecast for any drama series in basic cable history among all viewers. "The Walking Dead" encored at 10pm with 3.5 million viewers and midnight with 850,000 viewers delivering 15.2 million viewers for the night."

• Options
    Somehow that's worse.

I remember hearing it, but I couldn't remember it because it's never used. But I've mostly gotten over it. He's a cool cat.

I was looking to try to find a better source on the name (I think it might have been from the Walking Dead social facebook game, no joke), and came across this bit of imdb shenanigans:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0229101/bio
    T-Dog's was born Token Black in a small mountain town known as South Park, Colorado. There, he lived a simple, comfortable life of the upper middle class African American family. His friends included Kyle, Kenny, Stan, and Cartman. He was also known to associate with Butters and Craig.

During the early years T-Dog played with the children and attended school. As he grew older, he moved away from Colorado, spending time in several prestigious private schools across the country, finally ending up in Georgia where he opened up a successful investment firm under his new name Tiberius Doggington.

When the Zombie Apocalypse hit, T-Dog joined a group of survivors including Ed, Merle, Daryl, Shane, and Andrea (among others), where he served as a valuable member of the group. He has shown his brute physical strength in helping to dispose of walker bodies and erect fences around the Green family farm. He also has shown his acute mental acumen in helping to decide what to do with Randall during that series of episodes.

T-Dog, short for Tiberius Doggington, born Token Black, is an integral member of Rick's group and will continue to be so far into the future.

Catch Phrase: "AW HELL NAW"

Page last updated by BMFOneTwoFive, 3 weeks ago
    Top 5 Contributors: Curse_Of_The_Supermen, TwistedMonkeyStudios, LuckyMatt93, BMF125, TheDreadPirateSwantoon

• Options
    If he wants to be called T-Dog, then that's what people oughta call him. It's just common courtesy.

I don't care that the character wants to be called that. I think it's silly that the writers think the only black guy needs to be called T Dog. But it's not that big a deal, I certainly didn't mean it to become a thing!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Cade wrote: »
    The Walking Dead breaks it's own records, and others too.
    As it entered its third season last night, nothing was expected for AMC's "The Walking Dead" less of a very strong ratings performance. After two record-breaking seasons for cable TV, the adaptation of the Image Comics/Skybound series by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard had already established itself as one of the winningest shows on TV in terms of sheer audience numbers. But even considering that, the response that came back for the "Seed" episode was surprising.

AMC has released word (found via Futon Critic) that last night's installment of the series was not only the highest-rated premiere for the show to date and not just the highest-rated cable premiere on record, but it was also the highest rated debut for any show on TV period.

"The 9pm ET premiere garnered 10.9 million viewers and a 7.4 HH rating making it the highest rated episode in series history, and growing more than 50% over last season's premiere," the PR read. "The season 3 premiere now reigns as the biggest telecast for any drama series in basic cable history among all viewers. "The Walking Dead" encored at 10pm with 3.5 million viewers and midnight with 850,000 viewers delivering 15.2 million viewers for the night."

Well, you know what they say: the zombie craze is over.

This discussion has been closed.