As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Converting Tables to Div's

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Help / Advice Forum

NightDragon on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Don’t even bother doing it yourself. Just use an artist/designer’s portfolio service like Squarespace or Behance that will let you tweak the colors and drop in your logo.

• Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    For the fixed pixel width and height thats pretty easy. You can just set the div width and height with CSS

height:900px;
    width:399px;

etc.

The gallery page you might need to use a separate div ID cause then you could just leave out the height and it would automatically size to whatever content you put inside the div.

By default divs don't have borders so you're fine there :)

For setting it up I would use nested divs.

To lay it out this is how I'd do it (multiple divs)

body
    header
    content
    bottom (for the part where its page title/description)
    footer

Hopefully this helps/makes sense.

sigsh.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Your website looks pretty okay to me. I'd probably still use the iframe as of current? Obviously you can get away from the table stuff into divs, that should be relatively easy though. You can get around iframes with scripting languages, and possibly, ajax. But you're an artist right? Not sure you want to dabble in that stuff. Overlord is giving you good information for the div stuff.

HTML5 still supports iframe for instance.

You might also try using validators for CSS and HTML in the future.

http://validator.w3.org/

It'll show you stuff that might catch you up in other browsers or isn't compliant with normal web design. Just for my own knowledge, how much html/css are artists supposed to know?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Yeah the alternative is trying to use a div and javascript... I would not recommend that.

You could something like this in php:
    <div class="iframe">
        <?php include("/content/artsypage1.html"); ?>
    </div>

Which means you could keep your content separate from your design for the most part. You can get super fancy or not. I assume your webhost can handle php? But at this level you're going into programmer territory.

This option is far better than the javascript/div choice though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Oh dang, that looks really easy. And yep - my webhost supports PHP.

If that method doesn't require much beyond copy/pasting code like that, I think that'd be a great solution.

• Options
    That should work. Obviously you'll need the CSS tied to the div. But it accomplishes the same thing while tricking the observer/validators that it's a single page.

Give it a shot, let me know and I can help rattle it down further if it gives errors or doesn't look quite right.

Also, to be 100% valid HTML, those included pages should only be partials, as you'll be popping it into a page that already has the <html> tags in it. I think.

• Options
    Coolio. Thanks a lot! :D

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    You can use min-height: for a div, which sets the minimum height for the div, but allows it to expand. Google it though, because you're going to need to put in some IE handling for it IIRC.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    you only have to worry about that if you care about ie7 or below. My opinion on the matter is no ;)