As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Wii Problem.

ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay this happened once like the very first time I turned on my Wii.

I had no trouble until I didn't play my Wii for about a month. It seems to only do this after I haven't played it for a long time.

The problem is that it freezes between channels. I don't know if this is common or not. It'll load up fine, try to go to the Mii channel and instead of doing the little wave of Wii logos it'll just go black, the controller will cut off and nothing happens. Forcing me to hold the power button on the console down to cut it off.

Is this common, fixable, or should I talk to Nintendo?

QcGKhPm.jpg
ShimSham on

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does it do this a lot, or only once after you haven't played it for a while? My first Wii froze all of the time, so I sent it to nintendo and got a new one. My new Wii freezes sometimes, but I just shut it off and unplug it for a minute and then it is fine.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd say common. Not only have I had it happen to me several times (even with playing the Wii regularly) but everybody I know with a Wii has had it happen at least once.

Not to mention it's our most common question about the Wii (other than, "do you have any?") that I get at work (gamestop).

Annoying, but ultimately not a big deal.

Reality on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It does this a lot, after I haven't played it for a while. But once it finally makes it to some other channels once, it's usually good until I leave it alone for a week+ again. Not a big problem, but mildly annoying sometimes.

I'm glad to hear it's pretty common. I didn't know if it was just me or what.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had the Wii freeze once during a game.......but never before/since, and never in the channels.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's never happened to me the way you describe it, but just recently I went to turn on my Wii and it simply didn't. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and all was well. Also, Red Steel has frozen on me, losing an hour of progress although I've heard this is probably RS's fault and not the Wii.

I wonder if the Wii in standby is still partly on enough that there could be some kind of memory leak. In which case this wouldn't happen to me because I always unplug it when not in use; I hate having it powered at all times. Thing gets hot.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Never happened to me but I don't use it a whole lot, admittedly.

I am all about my DS right now.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My Wii has frozen like that twice... both while trying to go into the disc channel. Basically, click on the channel, click on start, screen goes blank, game never loads.

I just hold the power button on the console until it turns off, try again, and it works just fine then. I always thought it was a disc issue, but if you're getting it on the mii channel then I don't know what. Maybe something in their program loading code?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use my Wii every day and I've never ran into this problem, or any except for the remote losing it's sync. I even have a launch day Wii, so I'm counting my blessings every time I hear about stuff like this.

Davor on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mine can be slow sometimes starting up channels... but it has never freezed doing so.

The only time mine has ever freezed is while trying to connect to that POS shop channel. Which has happened several times. It's not really a freeze, it just fails to connect and doesn't seem to realize it so it just sits on that connecting screen till I turn the power off manually.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There are pills for that sort of thing...

I had to do it. I just had to.

Zhou on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mine's frozen like that once, I think it was when going to the mii channel.

But it may not of been frozen.

I gave it about three minutes, and then turned it off and on, and then the mii channel still took like a minute to load.

It was because I had like 12 new mii's delivered to me.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png