As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How can I stop my cell phone from forwarding through Google Voice if I didn't set it up?

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I used to work for an elder financial planning company a few months ago, and when I first started they asked for my Android cell phone so that they could set up some sort of call forwarding that I believe was done through Google Voice. The idea, I guess, was that if I gave my number to our clients, and wasn't able to answer, the call would be routed to the company's office where somebody could take a message. It worked great while I was with them, but I've since found new employment.

Problem is, though, that I can't figure out how to undo this. I've even gotten a new phone recently - a Droid Charge - but friends and family still tell me that when they call me, if I don't pick up, they get passed along to the old Eldercare company I used to work for. This is way, way less than ideal. The guy that had initially set up the call forwarding no longer works for the eldercare company either, so I don't know where to turn.

Ein on

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Do you have access to the Google Voice account? If so you should be able to deactivate Google VM. Elsewise you'll have to contact whoever set it up for you.

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I don't, which I guess is the problem. The guy who set it up got fired, and I talked to the company and they don't have a clue about how he did it / what account or password he used.

• dacount97dacount97 Registered User regular
    The only instructions that I've found is if you have the Google Voice app installed, which probably doesn't apply if you have a new phone. You might want to re-install it and give this a shot though: http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165656 the key part being this:

Deactivate Google voicemail on your phone

Deleting your phone from Google Voice will not actually prevent your voicemail calls from going to Google voicemail. In order to switch back to your carrier's voicemail and deactivate your Google voicemail on your phone, click the gear icon at the top right of the Google Voice page, and select Voice settings. Then, select the Phones tab and click on Edit Select Deactivate and follow the prompts.

I don't know if that actually works, though, if I don't have access to that Google Voice account that they used.
    ...click the gear icon at the top right of the Google Voice page, and select Voice settings. Then, select the Phones tab and click on Edit Select Deactivate and follow the prompts.

Like, when I go to google voice and login using my google account, my cell phone number isn't listed there. I think I'd need to be logged in with whatever credentials they used to set the forwarding up in the first place, and nobody seems to have those.

What carrier do you have?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Those instructions are for the web app, not the android app, I just checked.

The way it's behaving is making me wonder if *xx codes are set on his phone account. That varies on carrier though.

Do you have a gmail account or other google account of any kind? I'm really uncertain how you get access back to the account, or even the user name it was set up under.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited October 2012
    dacount97 wrote: »
    What carrier do you have?

Verizon.

I do have a personal gmail account, and it's what I use on my android phone, but I am positive it's not what was used to set this call forwarding up or I'd have had this solved a long time ago. I suspect they may have made a new google account just to do this, but nobody has the credentials for it.

Ein on
    There is a pound sign code you can punch in that resets it, I think. I have verizon too, and mine goes to my google voice even though I have wiped the phone. Now, it says to configure voicemail to dial *71{my google voice number} to set up the voicemail on my phone, I wonder if you could do the same thing and just do *71{your phone's #}.

Bottom line, I think Verizon could tell you what to punch in your handset to reset your account to default.

Here.

Try those star codes maybe? Do you know your google voice number?

Devout, are you talking about the google voice number that I guess is handling the forwarding? Because if so, I don't think I know it or was ever told what it was.

Yea. I can't right now, but dig on verizon's site for the code to cancel call forwarding. That's what the *71 was setting up.

*73 did the trick, actually. Took a minute, but now it's going to my old voicemail, rather than that company number. Thanks so much.

Excellent!

Chiefly because if that didn't work I think you would have been in serious trouble. I still don't get why he didn't have you give out the Voice number for business and left your personal line alone.