As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The hell is wrong with this DEMON COMPUTER

Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My ma's old computer went tits up during tax season this year, and as she's an accountant she needed a replacement immediately, so she bought a Lenovo something or other. Apparently, Best Buy included some sort of code demons as a free incentive, because the damn thing will not run her check-printing software. I can install it just fine, but upon opening it instantly shits the bed and gives me the following message:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	VCheck.exe
  Application Version:	11.0.10.9
  Application Timestamp:	2a425e19
  Fault Module Name:	KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.17932
  Fault Module Timestamp:	50327672
  Exception Code:	0eedfade
  Exception Offset:	0000c41f
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	fb1e
  Additional Information 2:	fb1efae44783b8dcb1d2ed159c7a00bf
  Additional Information 3:	e6f2
  Additional Information 4:	e6f2f645cc6f2766035b0f3d4d9f2b19

There is also a second window with the following information:
Exception 'EOleSysError' in module VCheck.exe at 007C201
Error accessing the OLE registry

Source file: UNKNOWN, Line UNKNOWN

Call stack:
:0047D201 [VCheck.exe] Comobj.OleError
:00867552 [VCheck.exe] Comserv.TComServer.UpdateRegistry
:008673EA [VCheck.exe] Comserv.TComServer.Initialize
:008675DA [VCheck.exe] Comserv.InitComServer
:756F33AA [kernel32.dll]
:776B9EF2 [ntdll.dll]
:776B9EC5 [ntdll.dll]

Registers:
EAX = 00000000  CS = 0023  EIP = 00404686  Flags = 00000206
EBX = 00000000  SS = 002B  ESP = 0018F8AC    EBP = 0018F8CC
ECX = 00000000  DS = 002B  ESI = 00000000    FS  = 0053
EDX = 00000000  ES = 002B  EDI = 00000000    GS  = 002B
Code at CS:EIP
8B 5C 24 04 81 3B DE FA ED 0E 8B 53 14 8B 43 18 
Stack:
776DB459 0018F994 0018FF7C 0018F9E4 0018F968 
0018FEFC 02E44B44 00000000 00000000 00000000 
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 776B9EC5 
02E44B05 02E6D2FC 02E6CE0B 02E6D214 00038E0B

Apparently this is happening in another tax program, and when Chrome loads (although I couldn't replicate that one, and it's working fine). I've done a bit of Google searching and tried some of the solutions that I could find, but none of them have availed a desired result. Any idear what this stems from?

kofz2amsvqm3.png
Seattle Thread on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Are you running it as an administrator? This line usually occurs when a program does not have permission to access the registry: "Exception 'EOleSysError' in module VCheck.exe at 007C201
    Error accessing the OLE registry"

Running it as admin can fix the problem. Alternatively, you'll want to reinstall VersaCheck secure (which is what VCheck.exe is).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yep, I've tried running as an administrator, WinXP compatibility and Safe Mode for the hell of it, all with zero result. I even had a crazy hunch that it might be a .NET thing, so I installed that, but it's not related.

I've reinstalled VersaCheck roughly five times by now, but the problem persists. I've even ran the installation program as an administrator and/or WinXP compatibility, again with no effect.

This really is outside of my area of expertise, but I idiotically volunteered to take a look. There's this Lenovo restore disk that I could use to nuke it from orbit, but who knows... the Geek Squad apparently removed all of the bloatware from the machine when she purchased it, could they have fucked the registry in the process?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Try running the Windows Repair function first before doing a full format/Reinstall. If it is the registry being borked it should get things back into alignment.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    This sounds like a permissions error... but might not be.

In fact, as this is probably ancient Tax software, it might simply be a pathing issue. Some software is hard coded to look in the "Program Files" folder. If it (properly) installs into "Program Files (x86)" strange things can happen. Although the normal "Program Files" is typically reserved for 64-bit software nothing should prevent you from installing 32-bit code there.

I'm assuming that you already found the page "http://www.versacheck.com/web/support/article.aspx?id=844" and applied those fixes?

It's also possible that it really is a registry permissions issue. Have you located the involved key? In Regedit, right-click the key, select "Permissions", and make sure that at least Administrator has full access. You might want to add All Users just to make sure.

EDIT: You might want to try and make an additional administrator user account and try again. Note that I've found some crashes can be the result of a corrupt user profile. See: "http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/programs-crash-error-fault-module-kernelbasedll/9fe5d2e7-79d0-42c1-b8dc-51ed8d70f749" for details.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    XandarXandar Registered User regular
    Turn off UAC and try reinstalling, check the software to see if it's win7 compatible.

OsokC8u.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Welp, I decided that fire would be the best and most thorough option, so I did a system restore using the bundled disc and removed all of the bloatware. The thing is beautiful now... except the ethernet controller won't work. At all. I initially thought it was a driver issue, but I found the drivers squirreled away on another HD partition and it won't install properly.

Essentially, Win7 is telling me that the driver isn't installed, but when I run the installation program Realtek says that it can't find the associated hardware (and "if Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable"). Additionally, the setup program acts as if the driver is already installed, as it only gives me an option to Repair or Remove.

I know that the network is fine up until the wireless router, at least, as I'm posting this via said wireless. What do you think, is there something I'm missing or should I just leave it to the Geek Squad?

e: Thanks for the link about corrupt user profiles, Great Scott. I'd tried everything else, but I'll keep that one in mind if the demons return.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    This could be almost anything, even sudden hardware failure (this has happened to be multiple times). I'm going to go ahead and assume it's just a driver issue.

Realtek makes dozens of chips that are slightly incompatible with different driver packages. You might have to check on the computer's motherboard and actually look for the (tiny and square - think pinky-fingernail) chip, which will have arcane markings. It's usually near the rear/central area of the motherboard, but sometimes toward the rear/bottom.

Barring that, could you tell us what Windows thinks the chip is in Device Manager? An example name is "Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family".

EDIT: Sorry for not suggesting the obvious - since this is a major manufacturer PC, did you check the website for the latest Win7 supported driver? Also, what model is this PC? I could try and help find the right driver package using that.

Great Scott on
  • Options
    It's just listed as "Ethernet Controller," unknown manufacturer. But since I have this laptop, I'll check Realtek's site and see if I can't dig up a better driver.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Realtek's site is going to be rough going; there are... many driver sets.

I'd suggest going to the Dell/HP/Whatever website first, unless the PC doesn't officially support Window 7.

• Options
    Welp, the driver from Realtek's site installed swimmingly (I am savvy enough to know what to get)... yet Win7 still insists that there's no driver installed. I've tried letting Windows search for said drivers and also pointing it towards the folders that they're located at, but it still will not acknowledge anything. When the computer boots after a restart, the "searching for networks" icon appears in the system tray, only to be replaced with the red x.

That's about all I've got... I know it ain't much, and I don't mind giving up on this thing anyway. But if anyone has an idear, I'm open to it.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Makershot wrote: »
    the Geek Squad apparently removed all of the bloatware from the machine when she purchased it, could they have fucked the registry in the process?
    [/quote]
    Yes.
    But apparently you've already reinstalled, so no worries there.

Another thing to suggest if this kind of thing starts cropping up again, is download ProcMon from the SysInternals site. Open it up, set a filter to just watch actions from Vcheck.exe (or whatever is giving you fits at the time) and then start logging, run your program til it crashes, stop logging. It's going to give you a ton of stuff in that time, because it tracks basically every file and registry access made while logging, but you can right-click on events that you aren't interested in (basically things where the status says success and such) and tell it to ignore that type and it will clickly narrow down your results until you can see where it's failing.

As for your driver issue, I'd definitely recommend going to the Lenovo site and pulling up the driver list for the model PC she's got. They could have just put in the wrong one on the recovery partition, or may have been a bad driver that the site has update since then. Most OEMs are pretty good about having the drivers on the site accurate at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Oh hey! you just posted. Hmmm, you might go into the device manager and just right click on the adapter and choose uninstall and reboot and see if it starts to recognize it.
    Is it a laptop or a desktop. If it's a desktop you could just pick up a basic NIC for like 10 bucks.
    Or hell, if you know any Sysadmins, or live near a university or other large company, the people in IT there might have spares lying around that were stripped from old PCs and have little use now since pretty much every mobo comes with an onboard NIC. They might try to send you home with a whole box if you aren't careful.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was thinking about grabbing a NIC (I have a spare somewhere in the bowels of my apartment, but it's a 90 minute trip and I can't justify leaving my handicapped father alone just to fix a handicapped computer), but it did indeed turn out that the packaged drivers were shit.

It's not even a Realtek device, it's Intel.

kofz2amsvqm3.png