As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In person co-op games?

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So i'm going to have back surgery next month, and i will be very immobile for a few weeks at least. I was trying to think of good co-op games for consoles (PS3/ecksbawks) that people would be able to come over and play with me. i just got borderlands 1/2, so that should satisfy my online gaming itch, i'd also like to have some actual human contact. All i can think of are the Ultimate Alliance games. Seems like most co-op games these days are online only, or downloads.

also... side note, do you need to be friends with people to play with them in borderlands, or are there lobbies and stuff? My friends can't really play with me during the day, and that is probably when i'll be most bored!

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    All the lego hero type games are pretty fun with friends.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    oh yeah i didn't even think about those!

and google solved the borderlands question...

• wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    you can also play borderlands in local co-op which is great.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Probably not the most popular choice, but RE5 and RE6.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    i would honestly love to just watch somebody play those. i am TERRIBLE at RE games. i just can't seem to get the hang of the controls.

• JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    360 games. In no particular order, but I've marked the ones that are particularly great:

*Splosion Man
    *Ms Splosion Man
    *Castle Crashers (if you don't already own it)
    Crimson Alliance
    *You Don't Know Jack
    Shoot Many Robots
    Bejeweled Blitz LIVE has a competitive mode
    *Hard Corps: Uprising
    X-Men Arcade
    *Ikaruga
    *Earth Defense Force 2017 (NOT Insect Armageddon)
    Sacred 2 (beating the game is a significant time commitment though, even if you're not going for completionism)
    Stacking (This has no actual co-op, but weird puzzle games can be pretty great with 2 or 3 people in the room)
    *Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    *Samurai Warriors 2
    Heavy Weapon
    N+
    Mutant Storm Empire
    Deathspank (and presumably the sequels, although I haven't played them. The co-op is kinda light, though)

Those are all playable multiplayer on a single console, although a couple of them work better system link.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
    You might consider exorcising your house of demons now that you've got some downtime. I can't imagine they are going to be too kind to an immobile person.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    A few of the Pixeljunk download games are 2 player local as well.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Gears of War has a split screen co-op

bowen wrote: »
    You might consider exorcising your house of demons now that you've got some downtime. I can't imagine they are going to be too kind to an immobile person.

maybe i can distract them with gaming, while i draw a ritual circle around them and make an "offering"

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

maybe i can distract them with gaming, while i draw a ritual circle around them and make an "offering"

There are a ton of board games that one can find and play on XBox Live Arcade, but I don't think Ouija is one of them.

• CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I both loved Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and Double Dragon Neon.

tumblr_m9cq9azKpx1qgfnmgo1_500.jpg

i played the demo for double dragon neon the other day, it was pretty cool. Speaking of board games, maybe i'll see if people would want to play Game of Thrones or Catan(also i'd have to buy them).
    are the D&D sidescroller arcade games downloadable anywhere? or are those just on emulators?

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    ToeJam & Earl

if only i had a sega genesis

• MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Seconding Gears of War, I suck at and don't play many shooters but still had fun playing it co-op with my boyfriend.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    You can use the awesome Co-Optimus site to look up games that have local co-op for your systems pretty easily (and they usually have ratings, reviews, etc.). I'll probably come back and post more later because I am constantly all about co-op with my significant other, but one awesome one I can think of is Trine (and Trine 2, but I haven't played it yet) for PS3. Glorious 3-player co-op action/puzzle action.

TJ&E is also on the wii I think.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Dynasty Warriors (most recent is #7) / Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (most recent is #3) have good split sceen co-op. Though be aware that you can't play the story mode in DW7 split screen (you can in DW6). There is a conquest mode which I like a bit better than the story which can be done co-op though.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    TJ&E is also on the wii I think.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's on Virtual Console. Assuming French has a Wii.

Oh yeah, Portal 2 has couch co-op (as well as online co-op) and is amazing, especially if you haven't played it co-op yet (totally different story from the single player campaign).

• PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Culdcept Saga for the 360. It's like... Monopoly meets Magic: The Gathering. I can't even tell you how much time I've sunk into that damn game.

Deadbeat, from the Xbox Arcade, is a fantastic zombie killing game that loves some co-op. It also has a funky soundtrack.

Either of the Army of Two games. I liked them both, they were stupid fun, but very short.

Also, good luck with your surgeries. Maybe you should set up a thread to check in with us, or summon emergency aid. You know, to help save you from your haunted house. NOT to help with bedsores.

EMERGENCY! I MADE BOOM BOOM

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    minecraft on the ecksbawks has split screen support. One thing to note is that it has many more limitations than the PC version and last I checked is quite a few versions behind the PC.

Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers are two great 4 player beat'em up games.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    These are all bargain game options.

Worms. It's a great game, and the razzing and gloating that can go on when you do something stupid or awesome respectively is great. Should be available on either console. Once you become a ninja rope god, people might hate playing against you.

Guardian Heroes. I'm pretty sure it's just 360, but the original was a fantastic game. I hear the port is good, but not perfect, but it still should sate some multiplayer without having to go split screen like borderlands (which can suck depending on your TV).

Gran Turismo 5 or Need for Speed Most Wanted. I'm not sure if Need for Speed has split screen, but you can take turns trying to beat each others time.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. I hate the run and gun shooters. This is a slower-paced action game and is wonderful. The split screen here isn't so bad, as the action is a bit slower.

Non-bargain game.

XCom - You each pick 3 soldiers and use them as you wish taking turns with the controller.

badpoet on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    My advice isove frequently, bc the alternative is a class 4 bedsore. Look it up.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    JHunz wrote: »
    Sacred 2 (beating the game is a significant time commitment though, even if you're not going for completionism)

Bull pocky, Insect Armageddon is crazy fun as well; it was just blatantly not finished.

Sacred 2 is my number one vote. Just read up on character skills because there's no respec and character advancement is amazingly more complex then it seems and don't ever take Blacksmithing.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yeah, the LEGO Thing games are awesome co-op. Just pick your favourite thing and off you go.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    kaliyama wrote: »
    My advice isove frequently, bc the alternative is a class 4 bedsore. Look it up.
    I'm assuming you mean "move frequently?" yeah my doc has instructed me to get up and walk around as much as i can stand to do. definitely going to follow every doctor instruction as i want to recover from this as fast as possible!

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The Halo games are still my go-to for local co-op.

Mostly because the devs kept friendly fire on. :)

With Love and Courage
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    JHunz wrote: »

Bull pocky, Insect Armageddon is crazy fun as well; it was just blatantly not finished.

Sacred 2 is my number one vote. Just read up on character skills because there's no respec and character advancement is amazingly more complex then it seems and don't ever take Blacksmithing.
    It's fun, but I didn't find it had the same spark or longevity as 2017. I'm looking forward to the "real" EDF 4 though.

And yes, if you get Sacred 2 researching a decent build is key.

• SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    Warhammer 40k: Kill team was short, but fantastic co-op.

• illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    Portal 2 if you don't already have it. Portal 2 co-op was awesome. Except for the part where JHunz kept dropping me into the goop. That was less awesome.

edited October 2012
    I can't believe I missed that on my list. There's nothing better than intentionally killing your co-op partner in new ways every room.

JHunz on
  • ShadowsofBirdsShadowsofBirds Registered User regular
    ooooh.. portal 2.. I'm getting frisky.

Resistance? modnation racers? Little Big Planet?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption in local co-op. You can just wander around shooting stuff, or actually do mini-missions together.

You could also just sit around shooting each other until the cows literally come home.

banner_160x60_01.gif
    i do have red dead redemption!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

You can't do RDR split screen tho can you?

edited October 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

You can't do RDR split screen tho can you?

Co-Optimus seems to indicate you can only do local co-op if you do System Link, yeah (as do other sources). So you'd have to have a friend bring over their console. And maybe a TV. Or play online, obviously, but that's what we were trying to avoid in the first place. :P

Essee on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry forgot about the lack of split screen... Seconding Little Big Planet then. :)

banner_160x60_01.gif