As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Captain Quark expains Cell and Blu-ray (Ratchet & Clank 5)

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Yep, it's pretty. Yep, it looks like classic Ratchet & Clank action. Yep, it's pretty damn funny. And apparently, it's coming out this fall. Check out the teaser here:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/10000

Damn, those folk at Insomniac work fast. You can bet your sweet ass I'm picking this one up once the PS3 gets cheaper.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Great. Now I have to go play my R&C games again.
    Or maybe I'll just try to finish my second playthroughs. Friggin' giant Clank sections are much harder on the second run. That's where I'm stuck on both of them. :(

Or maybe I should just go buy Deadlocked. Anybody play it? Decent platforming or are we all guns in that one?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It like 90% guns and 10% platforming

bloodyroarxx on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, do I love Ratchet & Clank. The trailer looks boss.

I wonder if this title will continue shifting over to the "action" part of the spectrum, like the R&C series has been.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No they say its about 60/40 in action/platforming

bloodyroarxx on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just making my way through the first title right now; having a blast, but damnit, the checkpoint spacing becomes almost sadistic as you go along.
    "What do you mean, you're having problems handling 10 difficult encounters in row? TAKE IT!"

Glal on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The third game is definitly the best out of all of them.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just completed the second one today. I was quite surprised that the final boss of the game...was the final boss. It didn't seem too epic compared to the last boss in the first game. That being said, it was a lot of fun, and if I had time I'd try to get the new weapons that get unlocked on the second playthrough.

This new one for the PS3 is one of a few games that will eventually influence me to buy that system...but it's still going to be a while.

SteevL on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Today's 1UP Show has a segment on it at the end. The guy who saw gameplay footage says it looks even better than the screens in EGM and this trailer.

bruin on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Damn, those folk at Insomniac work fast.

Doesn't take long regurgitating the same crap over and over again.

Sheep on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

The second one was very different from the first.

Couscous on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I BELIEVE.

HD may not equal great gameplay but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved UYA. I even played it online and actually had fun with online multiplayer on the PS2. (I thought it was impossible!)

Too bad I don't plan on getting a PS3.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Kind of like your posts, m i rite?

Anyway, downloading the 1UP Show now... I can't wait.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Kind of like your posts, m i rite?

Anyway, downloading the 1UP Show now... I can't wait.

Ooooh snap.

I'm working on a mini-site for this right now, trying to get permission to host the trailer from the big S. God it's pretty.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For some very strange reason, while I thoroughly enjoyed Ratchet and Clank (the first game) and played through it many times, I simply did not feel compelled at all to play any of the other installments, and I do not know why.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »

Or maybe I should just go buy Deadlocked. Anybody play it? Decent platforming or are we all guns in that one?

Both the platforming and shooting in Deadlocked are excellent.
    The game is just as good as the others. Plus, the video after the credits is amazing.
    LAWRENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Conn wrote: »
    For some very strange reason, while I thoroughly enjoyed Ratchet and Clank (the first game) and played through it many times, I simply did not feel compelled at all to play any of the other installments, and I do not know why.

You must play them now. 2 and 3 are both GH. Don't worry about Deadlocked, just get those.

SpikedFreak on
  • FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, Fall 2007? Awesome.

Hrmm... this could be interesting... R&C: Future Fall 2007... Resistance 2, 2008. R&C Future 2 2009?

Or something... seems like something they could do... or just release both games at once. :)

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Conn wrote: »

I bought the second on sale and felt the same way. I just didn't see how they could improve upon the formula, but evidentially they can.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    FatBaby wrote: »
    Wow, Fall 2007? Awesome.

Hrmm... this could be interesting... R&C: Future Fall 2007... Resistance 2, 2008. R&C Future 2 2009?

Or something... seems like something they could do... or just release both games at once. :)

As soon as they revealed that they were working on a R&C game while developing Resistance, I guessed it. It's a good way of taking their '1 game a year' policy and expanding it. I really hope Naughty Dog do the same thing, Uncharted this year, Jak in 2008 and Uncharted 2 in 2009.

Anyway, video. Holy crap! The in-game footage they showed easily matched the render they had at last years GDC.

Unco-ordinated on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, Fall 2007? Awesome.

As soon as they revealed that they were working on a R&C game while developing Resistance, I guessed it. It's a good way of taking their '1 game a year' policy and expanding it. I really hope Naughty Dog do the same thing, Uncharted this year, Jak in 2008 and Uncharted 2 in 2009.

Anyway, video. Holy crap! The in-game footage they showed easily matched the render they had at last years GDC.
    There is no way all of that is in game.

FreddyD on
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Wow, Fall 2007? Awesome.

There is no way all of that is in game.

Watch the 1UP Show. Bryan went to Insomniac, got to play it and confirmed that it's all in-engine.

Here's the HD video if anyone wanted it.

Unco-ordinated on
  • XusderXusder Some dude... Middle of NowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My eyes!

I'm crying so hard, it's just so beautiful.

Another reason to get a PS3, Apart from Metal Gear Solid 4. For me anyways.

Xusder on
    YES, I DO LIKE COURIER NEW!
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If you don't like R&C you're possibly dead inside.

Furu on
  • DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Step 2 for Sony.

DesertChicken on
    PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's obviously been tidied up a bit, but definitely looks like real stuff to me. Interesting that there doesn't really seem to be much of a gradation in lighting... which is what made me think it looked bad at first. I understand why they're going with that, but it does actually make it look bad in terms of sheer graphical prowess.

Considering it more, it still looks damn good. Insomniac are badass.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, how come consoles get all the stylistically interesting games whilst most PC games go for retarded lol-realism bullcrap? :|

Glal on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    It's obviously been tidied up a bit, but definitely looks like real stuff to me. Interesting that there doesn't really seem to be much of a gradation in lighting... which is what made me think it looked bad at first. I understand why they're going with that, but it does actually make it look bad in terms of sheer graphical prowess.

Considering it more, it still looks damn good. Insomniac are badass.

there's never really been lighting and shadowing, per se, in ratchet and clank games

i'm assuming it was a limitation of the ps2's hardware which they just kind of incoporated into the style of the game

i've always thought it made the games look rather flat, myself

bongi on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yes, but there's also not been a mainstream usage of decent lighting systems in this gen. Considering how much beter it makes a game look, I'm surprised there's not much of one here, but I suppose it's part of the cartoony style.

I also think there is a lighting system, it's just the standard brightness is so bright you don't really get much else. There's certainly bits of dynamic lighting there.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    there is lighting, but there aren't any shadows on the levels

i don't really know the technical terms

but i mean, the trees don't cast shadows on the ground, the skyscrapers don't cast shadows on anything etc. in the way that they do in say, GRAW or gears of war

like i said i think it's because the ps2 didn't really have the power and they just incorporated it into the visual style

bongi on
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been recently getting back in to the Ratchet and Clank franchise. This will be a very good fit for me later this year.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I picked up Deadlocked and Up Your Arsenal for $12 total (new), but I'm waiting on R&C and GC before I start the series. Then it's on to the PSP one. At my rate of backlog-clearing, the PS3 title should be in whatever value series the PS3 has by then. Good plan or is it getting tough to find the original and GC new?

CZroe on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't this R+C 6, not 5?

Magus` on
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Isn't this R+C 6, not 5?
    Counting the PSP one, yeah, it would be. Though hte PSP one is more of a sidestory than the other ones.

Unless they aren't counting Deadlocked because that's just Ratchet.

Either way this game will most likely be the one that makes me buy a PS3.

Pooch on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    I picked up Deadlocked and Up Your Arsenal for $12 total (new), but I'm waiting on R&C and GC before I start the series. Then it's on to the PSP one. At my rate of backlog-clearing, the PS3 title should be in whatever value series the PS3 has by then. Good plan or is it getting tough to find the original and GC new?

Where did you get them for $12?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

Where did you get them for $12?

Deadlocked was $10 at Blockbuster, Up Your Arsenal was $2 at Best Buy. Both new. It was only a couple weeks ago, but the Best Buy clearance has been cleanly picked through. Blockbuster's wasn't so well known because it's on-going and not "OMG! $2!!!"

I ended up just trading in my $2 Best Buy games for Blockbuster clearance games. Got Jak X to go with Jak II & 3 from the Best Buy clearance, MGS3 Subsistance ($16 at Circuit City), Resident Evil 4, etc.

Just trying to build up my PS2 library for my PS3 (I never owned a PS2).

CZroe on
    edited March 2007
    Pooch wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    Isn't this R+C 6, not 5?
    Counting the PSP one, yeah, it would be. Though hte PSP one is more of a sidestory than the other ones.

Unless they aren't counting Deadlocked because that's just Ratchet.

Being made by a different developer automatically removes it from serialization, even if it's good. ;) Ready at Dawn still receives my blessings, but... for instance, if the IP holders do something right and another good Crash Bandicoot game arrives that's not made by Naughty Dog, are we going to give it a number? ;)

CZroe on
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pooch wrote: »

As much as I hate to admit it, Ratchet and Clank is worth $600 to me. My poor wallet :(.

SilentCoconut on
  • HulaHoopHulaHoop Registered User new member
    edited March 2007

That and they're a bunch of slave drivers. If you don't want to work 80 hour weeks for them they kick you to the curb.

HulaHoop on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HulaHoop wrote: »

That and they're a bunch of slave drivers. If you don't want to work 80 hour weeks for them they kick you to the curb.

They gotta be called Insomniac for a reason.

Scrumtrulescent on