As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Identifying Mystery Car Part (2000 Jetta TDI)

AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to ID this part/part number for my TDI.

EWRcr.png
It's some kind of thin plastic-y stuff that is supposed to slide along with the shifter when you go from Park to Reverse, Drive, etc.

I can't think of what the heck it's called, so I can't search for a replacement (bought the car used,) and there's practically none of that plastic strip thing left, so there's just an open hole into the shifting...uh...area...thing, which worries me on the off chance something happened to fall in there.

Anyone know what the heck that part is and where it's something that can be replaced?

Abracadaniel on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    When looking for that part you'll want to use terms like: automatic, shift, trim, housing, gate, bezel. If you buy new you'll probably have to buy the whole set of trim around the shift lever/knob.

Trim pieces you'll want to look at ebay, craigslist or scrap yards. If you can pop off all that trim and get a look at the piece you may be able to fabricate something that will keep crap out of there.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's just a thin strip of plastic that rides in two little grooves in the shifter surround. It could have popped out of the grooves and turned sideways, it's unusual for it to actually break into pieces or wear down. If it has worn out, a new bit from a dealer shouldn't cost more than $10-20. As for it's actual name, I have no idea. I'd see if I could find you a part number, but I'm phone posting...