As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Holiday Bonus is this [Job Thread]

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    One of my friends got laid off a couple of weeks back from a small startup company. Product was just a little too late getting out the doors even though the concept was solid.

The good news is that within two weeks he had multiple interviews and has already started a new job. Software Engineers are apparently in rather high demand in his area.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Just a couple more days till honeymoon.

I fully expect work to literally melt down in my absence and revert to Lord of the Flies.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    One of my friends got laid off a couple of weeks back from a small startup company. Product was just a little too late getting out the doors even though the concept was solid.

The good news is that within two weeks he had multiple interviews and has already started a new job. Software Engineers are apparently in rather high demand in his area.

they're in high demand almost everywhere, and it seems to be going up every month

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    All the articles online talk about negotiating a salary in some kind of salary environment. Not somewhere that pays hourly. We'll see what happens I suppose. It'll be a shame if everything works out but the money.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    First person to name a number is at a disadvantage. No matter if it be an actual negotiating disadvantage or just one of being awkward.

If possible when asked about compensation: "I'd like to be sure that my compensation reflect my experience and the responsibilities that you'll expect out of me. What would be a range that you all envision for this position?"

Or something like that.

If you can't wiggle out of it, try giving a range yourself. Make the low what your lowest comfortable number is and the high what you'd like to be making. When I took this job I was asked what kind of salary I was looking for.

The response was something like, "I've been freelancing for 3.5 years and living in Lancaster, PA which has a far lower cost of living than Northern VA. While I've been out of the area for awhile I think a range between $xx and $xx would be fair based on experience and responsibilities." The range was a $15k difference.

Only part I screwed up was when the offer came in and was the number at the top of my range. I didn't push for another $5k. But eh.

Whatever you do, don't short change yourself or "well, I could take less I suppose..." No. Bad.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Well, my car won't start. Looks like I'll be late today!

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    This is my first "adult" job out of college. My compensation wasn't that much for my last job, but also becomes doubled when you put in free room & board on top of that. I always really stressed that part when I could.

I'm not unhappy with my current compensation, but obviously things could always be better.

Also...Yay one more month of freedom before the despair overtakes me and I have to start paying student loans.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Two weeks ago, my company finished moving the last of our production VMs and servers to our new fancy professional datacenter, conveniently located in ... lower Manhattan.

Gonna be some unhappy emails for a few days until con-ed gets all that shit sorted out.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I had to see a scrotum at work.

Job-related scrote.

Scrotum in the field, if you will.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Well so far today has been exciting

Stuck behind a one man accident on my way in
    Got here to discover my subcontractor only sent me PDFs, not native files, of the drawings
    I'm about to be audited for quality
    And there's an internal design review at the same time that I won't be able to attend, so I'm entrusting it to the same dudes who are PDF drawing happy

Earning that rum drink I think

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hugs to my favorite sister (who totally needs to join us at trivia at some point).

• Options
    I'd love to but weeknights are double bad right now, not only am I still getting to work at my regular stupid early time but I'm not leaving until stupid late six days a week

December, I'm holding out for December

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I am Peter Parker today.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    emo or regular flavor

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    I'd love to but weeknights are double bad right now, not only am I still getting to work at my regular stupid early time but I'm not leaving until stupid late six days a week

December, I'm holding out for December

We will save a spot just for you.

• Options
    Apparently people are bringing their kids into work and taking them around the offices for candy. It's the first I've heard of it so no candy is available here, whoops!

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Apparently people are bringing their kids into work and taking them around the offices for candy. It's the first I've heard of it so no candy is available here, whoops!
    Sounds like a good excuse to duck out during lunch and buy a giant bag of candy (and also keep most of it for yourself at the end of the day!)

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    My car isn't working and I'm not within walking distance of candy so sadly that is not an option :(

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Oh boooo :P Hope you get your car troubles worked out!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Tried to go into work today. whoops, no power in the building, and got turned away at the guardhouse.
    That makes 3 days without pay this week. hooray

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    oh, staying positive.
    That makes 3 days off from work, not including last Friday I took off, plus the weekend! Hooray!

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Well I just came across another job at Gerber that I applied for.

If everything works out, I'll have two jobs at gerber. Knives for everybody!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    emo or regular flavor

616 flavor.

• Options
    Metal, as soon as we start hiring designers again in Portland I'll let you know

Also we passed the quality audit with flying colors 8-)

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Metal, as soon as we start hiring designers again in Portland I'll let you know

Also we passed the quality audit with flying colors 8-)

Thanks! I was really hoping to have a job before now, so I can use all the help I can get.

• Options
    Christ.

I cannot stop asking the stupidest questions today. Just managed to catch myself before asking another one.

I need a nap.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I love everything about my job.

We just got a bunch of nice corporate branded jackets! And they don't suck!

Lots of really interesting financial stuff going on right now too. Not sure what it will mean in the long run, the rumors are pretty much all about being acquired by a bigger name right now.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Bigger name? Like Wienerschnitzel? That's a longer name.
    :bz

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    neville wrote: »
    Bigger name? Like Wienerschnitzel? That's a longer name.
    :bz

Har. De. Har. Har.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Ok, what the hell. I was supposed to have a job offer today. As in all i need to do is go in to the office and name my price and set up a time to start. The lady that runs the office told me she would call me today because shes in meetings all week. But i have not received any phone call. So I have e-mailed her and called her, but zero answer. This has me still hopeful but really worried.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    And in response to the OP...I really like my job. I like my coworkers, I like the atmosphere, I enjoy the work I do. Unless something unforeseen happens I will likely stay here for a while.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Successfully rescheduled all of my interviews that were postponed by the hurricane. Got a busy couple days ahead.

• Options
    I don't know if I should be insulted when people ask me if I'm an undergraduate student in a student worker position or complimented.

But it really makes me want to figure out what the next step in my life should be so I'm not in this position forever where I have to talk to stupid people.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I don't know if I should be insulted when people ask me if I'm an undergraduate student in a student worker position or complimented.

But it really makes me want to figure out what the next step in my life should be so I'm not in this position forever where I have to talk to stupid people.

In my first week at my current job I got asked by people from the company who share the office whether I was work experience or on a gap year. They were shocked when I would reply that I'd been out of university and a developer for 6 years.

I've given up on taking offence and instead take the view that at least when I'm 40 I'll look 25.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Hate to tell you this but regardless of your job you'll have to still talk to stupid people at one point or another Sass.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Things i like about my job: everything.

Job stability for the next 40 years. High pay. Amazing benefits and retirement pension. Interesting work. Lots of opportunities for advancement - right now i am a trainee of the lowest level. Later in my career i could be the main guy in a control room running a nuclear reactor.

One step at a time

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Hate to tell you this but regardless of your job you'll have to still talk to stupid people at one point or another Sass.

Oh I'm well aware.

But depending on where I work I can at least get the hell way from Freshmen Undergraduates.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    The people I work with are definitely the best part of my job. Also, I just got married a few weeks ago and the firm sent my wife and I this really nice glass bowl from Tiffany's. don't know what I'm suppose to put in it, but it sure is pretty and surprising. Was thoughtful of them, did not expect it at all

• Options
    Aretè wrote: »
    The people I work with are definitely the best part of my job. Also, I just got married a few weeks ago and the firm sent my wife and I this really nice glass bowl from Tiffany's. don't know what I'm suppose to put in it, but it sure is pretty and surprising. Was thoughtful of them, did not expect it at all

High class condom bowl.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Congrats on getting married!

This discussion has been closed.