As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I found a baby mantis on my front porch today

it was so cute

I managed to coax it onto my hand for a second, but then it hopped away vigorously

I didn't know that mantises could hop, but this one was good at it

I once read that the only animal that can't jump is an elephant (this was in like 3rd grade)

Which makes me wonder how hippos jump

i'm assuming they count a full gallop (where all four feet leave the ground at once) as a jump. i couldn't find any videos of hippos doing that, but they're pretty nimble so i wouldn't be surprised

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'll be in Costa Rica for four weeks after tomorrow, so I'll be sure to bring back plenty of pictures for this thread!

Liberia's a decent city, if you're headed to Guanacaste province.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Gonna be pretty deep in the jungle for most of that time but the closest city is gonna be Puerto Jimenez

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Cicadas around here are bright green.
    *super cool picture of a cicada*

The ones we get on a more regular basis (not the 13 year cicadas, like the black one) are green also, but not as bright as yours.

YN5Fuje.jpg

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    heh, I thread I've posted in from last time I was around is still open, that's neato. @BugBoy You always make me feel guilty if I kill a bug, but I'm tired of spiderwebs in my bathroom :\

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    heh, I thread I've posted in from last time I was around is still open, that's neato. BugBoy You always make me feel guilty if I kill a bug, but I'm tired of spiderwebs in my bathroom :\

You could always put them outside I suppose! I actually had an inch+ long scorpion get snagged in some spiderwebs I hadn't cleaned up so I was able to have a massive freakout and then get it out of our house so now I'm much more forgiving of spider webs. Just a southern devil and I know intellectually their sting is about on par with a bee sting but I freak out every time I see one regardless

cabsy on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    heh, I thread I've posted in from last time I was around is still open, that's neato. @BugBoy You always make me feel guilty if I kill a bug, but I'm tired of spiderwebs in my bathroom :\

That's okay

I think the important thing is being cognizant of what you're doing, rather than not thinking about it at all

Sometimes you bring something outside, and sometimes you don't

I myself have had to kill a few pest insects recently

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Bugboy, do you know what this is? Tumblr could not tell me more.

tumblr_mumctpnzpO1qafxgdo1_500.jpg

This is a Devils Flower Mantis with its wings outstretched, which is why it looks so regal and majestic. They are by far my favourite kinds of mantid. The posture it is in with the wings outstretched is a threatening pose telling you "I will attack, so don't eat me! See how huge I am?!"
    Darmak wrote: »
    What an absolutely insane fucker

edit: it's a beautiful spider though

It's actually not that insane at all. Your risk of being bitten is very low from that spider, at least spontaneously. Most bites from a black widow or red back spider (in the same family) occur when people disturb them under pots or whatever. The spider feels threatened and then bites in self defense.

Handling it the way he is has a very very low risk to himself. I still wouldn't of course, but if you are going to just letting the spider go where it wants is the best way to do it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That is

A pokemon

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    entomology in general is pretty much pokemon

it is literally a discipline where you run around in the tall grass hunting for rare and unusual creatures to shove into small containers

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Do you make them fight once you catch them?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I feel like that could make a good movie...

• Options
    if you want to be the very best entomologist, like no one ever was, you somewhat counterintuitively have to not have your captured creatures battle

travelling across the land, searching far and wide is a good idea, but catching them all is out of the question

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    It is with that attitude.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    that made me curious, so I decided to do some probably inaccurate math real quick

according to the entomological society of america, there are maybe 30 million species of insects in the world

if you collect one unique species per minute, you should catch them all in about 57 years

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to account for timed exclusives

A.K.A extinctions

• Options
    SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    There is a way to transfer these to another generation, right?

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Options
    yes, but if dermestid beetles get in and corrupt your save you're out of luck

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Don't forget to account for timed exclusives

A.K.A extinctions

This post made me sad

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Unfortunately there is not quite the drive for conserving threatened insect species as there is tigers and elephants and such. I suppose it's harder to make an emotional case for protecting the habit of 'tiny grey moth species with no common name.'

Speaking of extinct moths I've recently been working in the entomology department of a British museum in Manchester; the third largest public entomology collection in the country or so I'm told, so there's lots of interesting things in there.
    Specifically I've been working with a collection of micro-lepidoptera from the turn of the 20th century which hasn't been touched in decades. It is mostly full of the aforementioned tiny grey moths and is not all that exciting unless you have a particular interest in such things.
    It does however contain a single, damaged, specimen of the 'Manchester Moth' (Oechophora woodiella). In and of itself the Manchester Moth is not very exciting; it's a small brown moth barely centimeters across and of no massive scientific value, however it is rather rare.

As far as I can tell there are only three specimens of the species remaining in the world, this damaged one at Manchester, one in the British Museum in London and the type specimen is in Melbourne, Australia. No other preserved specimens are known to exist and the species has not been seen alive since the days of its discovery in the late 1800s. The original collector, an amateur, allegedly preserved a number of boxes of the species, much to the envy of his fellows at the entomological society. Unfortunately he ceased collecting entirely as people began accusing him of presenting a foreign species as a native British one when they could not find sign of the species themselves. Ultimately the collected specimens were left in deposit of his various debts (some accounts say to his landlady, others to the proprietor of a pub) and were ultimately destroyed when he could not pay back what he owed.

Not a particularly interesting story, and I have rather rushed over the details, but whatever.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Went to the Minnesota Zoo this last week. They have the new Big Bugs exhibit.

It's basically gigantic animatronic insects mixed in with a small display of actual bugs

It was pretty cool.

• Options
    Unfortunately there is not quite the drive for conserving threatened insect species as there is tigers and elephants and such. I suppose it's harder to make an emotional case for protecting the habit of 'tiny grey moth species with no common name.'

Speaking of extinct moths I've recently been working in the entomology department of a British museum in Manchester; the third largest public entomology collection in the country or so I'm told, so there's lots of interesting things in there.
    Specifically I've been working with a collection of micro-lepidoptera from the turn of the 20th century which hasn't been touched in decades. It is mostly full of the aforementioned tiny grey moths and is not all that exciting unless you have a particular interest in such things.
    It does however contain a single, damaged, specimen of the 'Manchester Moth' (Oechophora woodiella). In and of itself the Manchester Moth is not very exciting; it's a small brown moth barely centimeters across and of no massive scientific value, however it is rather rare.

As far as I can tell there are only three specimens of the species remaining in the world, this damaged one at Manchester, one in the British Museum in London and the type specimen is in Melbourne, Australia. No other preserved specimens are known to exist and the species has not been seen alive since the days of its discovery in the late 1800s. The original collector, an amateur, allegedly preserved a number of boxes of the species, much to the envy of his fellows at the entomological society. Unfortunately he ceased collecting entirely as people began accusing him of presenting a foreign species as a native British one when they could not find sign of the species themselves. Ultimately the collected specimens were left in deposit of his various debts (some accounts say to his landlady, others to the proprietor of a pub) and were ultimately destroyed when he could not pay back what he owed.

Not a particularly interesting story, and I have rather rushed over the details, but whatever.

This is 100% an interesting story!

Its things like these that make natural history collections as incredible as they are

Do you know how the type ended up in Australia? I'm a little surprised it isn't in a British collection.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I am not entirely sure no, although last week I did just find a book about the Australian museum it's held in, so maybe that can shed some light on things. All the papers I've read just say that the Holotype is in Melbourne without going into any detail, which is a little frustrating 'cos I'm interested in why too.

If I had to guess I'd imagine that the collector gave the holotype to a professional for identification and then never got it back when he quit collecting. Then the new holder of the holotype either moved to Australia themselves or their collection ended up being donated or purchased by the museum.

As a vaguely interesting aside the entomolgist who described the species (Curtis), described a female specimen but all three of the surviving specimens are male (well, the Manchester one has a damaged abdomen so it's hard to say there), so it's possible there are still some female specimens floating around in some storage box somewhere who knows?

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Double post I'm afraid but with a bit of extra reading I dug up that this is in fact the case:
    If I had to guess I'd imagine that the collector gave the holotype to a professional for identification and then never got it back when he quit collecting. Then the new holder of the holotype either moved to Australia themselves or their collection ended up being donated or purchased by the museum.

The type specimen was given to Curtis to identify, which he did, and then ended up in his collection once the original collector gave up. After his death his widow sold his collection to the Museum Victoria in Melbourne where it remains today as the bulk of their entomology collection.

• Options
    Ah, that makes sense

in further bug adventures, I opened the front door to let a beetle outside

simultaneously, a different beetle came inside

oh, insects

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend killed a Recluse this afternoon. I was scared

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    I hope this hasn't been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLw-9dpHtcU

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    that's me

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    So, we live in Calgary, Alberta and my wife found this moth on our fence while we were doing some yard work. It was very lethargic, and didn't respond much to us trying to get it to spread its wings, so I'm assuming that it had just hatched from its cocoon and was gaining strength. It's gone now, so I'm hoping it flew away and wasn't just eaten by some bird. Anyways, this thing was huge. There's a photo with a beer can beside it for reference.

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Rderdall wrote: »
    So, we live in Calgary, Alberta and my wife found this moth on our fence while we were doing some yard work. It was very lethargic, and didn't respond much to us trying to get it to spread its wings, so I'm assuming that it had just hatched from its cocoon and was gaining strength. It's gone now, so I'm hoping it flew away and wasn't just eaten by some bird. Anyways, this thing was huge. There's a photo with a beer can beside it for reference.
    That is a sphinx moth (family Sphingidae); they are common in North America. There are a bunch of species that all look nearly the same to my eyes and I have no idea which one that is.

They're easy to mistake for hummingbirds when feeding because the are nearly the same size and they hover outside flowers the same way hummingbirds do.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    New crab spider took up residence in front of the front window like (I assume) his/her mom did last year. Pics when it dries out somewhat outside.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    As promised, here are the pics of the new crab spider. It's a yellow one, this time.

001_zpsca790823.jpg
    003_zps4a325f61.jpg
    004_zps7a815a4a.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I keep finding these big ass half dollar sized grass spiders in my house so I just scoop them into mason jars and let them outside. Look like this:
    0810081929.jpg

They're totally harmless and cool looking but I would rather they play outside.

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    saw this neat moth (?) today and thought of this thread
    http://i.imgur.com/qzSmMss.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Er3RxKw.jpg

Haven't seen one like that before, it lingered on our screen for most of the day.

looks like it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paonias_excaecatus pity I didn't get to see the larvae, the photo on wikipedia is lovely

mccart on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    I keep finding these big ass half dollar sized grass spiders in my house so I just scoop them into mason jars and let them outside. Look like this:
    0810081929.jpg

Is that a Nopenopenope brand soda?

• Options
    today I spent a little time outside watching a large slug cross my driveway

after a while, I noticed that a firefly larvae was crawling around close by

Bugboy's Perfect Afternoon

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Walt wrote: »
    0810081929.jpg

Is that a Nopenopenope brand soda?
    nah grass spiders are bros

they might give you a startle but they aren't even physically capable of biting you and they fail at climbing up glass so a mason jar and a few seconds and they're back in your yard annihilating vermin

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I saw some fireflies the other night. my face would not stop grinning. Where I grew up, there weren't any, and I saw my first one just a couple years ago after I moved from Colorado to new york. They are amazing.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I saw some fireflies the other night. my face would not stop grinning. Where I grew up, there weren't any, and I saw my first one just a couple years ago after I moved from Colorado to new york. They are amazing.

I moved from California to Maryland this last year and omg bioluminescence I love it