As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Man, I like bugs and think spiders are totally neat, but I'm too scared to really pick them up with my bare hands.
    So have a moth
    LdgC82T.jpg

This haphazardly flew in to my store and we had to get it out because anything the size of a small bird can set off the motion sensor alarms in the store.
    Poor thing was on it's last leg, it ran in to one of our vents and fell. It was cool for about 30 minutes or so, walked around on my hand but didn't try and fly away after that. I set it on a bush outside hoping it wouldn't be there in the morning but sadly it didn't make it :/

Aw dude, you're Geek Squad? You poor bastard. I feel for you, dawg. Most of your customers are probably about half as intelligent as that moth and about twice as likely to vacantly flock around shiny lights.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    My greatest regret in recent times is that I found a Sphinx moth here in Sydney. In the process of trying to photograph it my battery died, so I tried to take it to where I could plug in my phone. Moments from the door and the power outlet, it flew off into the rafters of the building never to be seen again.

Pretty infuriating frankly.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I saw a praying mantis on the wall at work today and took a little video of it on my phone. Where is a good place to upload it so I can share it with you guys? I feel like my phone probably has the camera of a ham sandwich, so maybe just youtube?

I only took the video because I think I witnessed a praying mantis laying eggs, but I wanted a slightly more professional opinion, and @BugBoy seems to be the resident expert!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I'd love to take a look at it!

Always happy to answer bug questions.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Man, I like bugs and think spiders are totally neat, but I'm too scared to really pick them up with my bare hands.
    So have a moth
    LdgC82T.jpg

This haphazardly flew in to my store and we had to get it out because anything the size of a small bird can set off the motion sensor alarms in the store.
    Poor thing was on it's last leg, it ran in to one of our vents and fell. It was cool for about 30 minutes or so, walked around on my hand but didn't try and fly away after that. I set it on a bush outside hoping it wouldn't be there in the morning but sadly it didn't make it :/

Aw dude, you're Geek Squad? You poor bastard. I feel for you, dawg. Most of your customers are probably about half as intelligent as that moth and about twice as likely to vacantly flock around shiny lights.

To be quite honest the people I work with are my favorite part of my job. Some of the clients that come in can be a bit unruly, but who wouldn't be, their items are broken and they don't know how to fix it; In order to fix it they have to shell out money to some kid (me) who looks fresh out of high school. But for every bad experience I've had with an angry/dumb/rude client I've had more that treat me with respect and often times admiration. I am, after all solving their current life crisis. Some times they even bring you chocolate and stop by to wish you happy birthday!

• Options
    Okay this is my first EVER upload to youtube, so don't make fun of me for taking the video sideways. I don't know how to not do that! But here is the video:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So have a moth
    LdgC82T.jpg

To be quite honest the people I work with are my favorite part of my job. Some of the clients that come in can be a bit unruly, but who wouldn't be, their items are broken and they don't know how to fix it; In order to fix it they have to shell out money to some kid (me) who looks fresh out of high school. But for every bad experience I've had with an angry/dumb/rude client I've had more that treat me with respect and often times admiration. I am, after all solving their current life crisis. Some times they even bring you chocolate and stop by to wish you happy birthday!
    Well that's cool! My experience as a Best Buy employee was... not quite so positive. I was in mobile, though.

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I'd love to take a look at it!

Always happy to answer bug questions.

Any excuse to ogle an ovipositor eh :winky:

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Okay this is my first EVER upload to youtube, so don't make fun of me for taking the video sideways. I don't know how to not do that! But here is the video:

You have caught a brown mantis (possibly giant from the size) in the process of laying her eggs! Mantid eggs are encased in a very hard substance, which keeps them very safe from predators until the baby mantids are ready to hatch out and explore the world. This is actually a pretty rare sight to find one of them laying eggs like this.

• Options
    So what I was viewing was, indeed, a murderer? Or is it a myth that female mantis eat their mate?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So what I was viewing was, indeed, a murderer? Or is it a myth that female mantis eat their mate?

Semi-myth. They were observed doing it in captivity, but it believed they only did it because they were super stressed out due to people watching them sex. When recorded in vacant rooms so as to not cause stress, there was elaborate courtship rituals observed and the dude walked away head intact.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    It's kinda like how the observations on wolves that led to the alpha/beta theory only happened because they were all captives from different packs, given a space so small that they had to get territorial

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    It's kinda like how the observations on wolves that led to the alpha/beta theory only happened because they were all captives from different packs, given a space so small that they had to get territorial

Which makes the whole PUA obsession with alphas and betas kind of funny but also a bit sad.

broken image link
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    It's a mad world.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I'm glad mantid people were here for when I got busy with finals and forgot to check back

sorry about that!

nice find by the way

• Options
    Wandering past a fence with a tree over growing it, I saw something faintly move and discovered this lovely Capricorn beetle hiding underneath.

imagejpg1_zpsc4e967e8.jpg

Most pleasing find.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Hey guys. I am having a rare period of decent internet so thought I'd pop in to share some of the awesome bugs I have managed to photograph over here in RSA so far. This place is amazing for invertebrates, every day I see something I've never seen before.

16141409009_4577cf9551_h.jpg
    Golden Orb Weaver, Nephila senegalensis. Going to try and get a better picture of this girl, she's huge and beautiful. It was too windy last time I saw her.

15705202014_c784d154b9_h.jpg
    Sleeping wasps, possibly Belonogaster sp.

15705300314_cd4cb3f008_h.jpg
    Red-veined dropwing, Trithemis arteriosa.

16301838846_ff647f3149_h.jpg
    Velvet ant, Mutilla astarte. Actually a species of flightless wasp.

16163187209_c0fa3ee245_h.jpg
    Copper dung beetle, Kheper nigroauneus. These guys are so charismatic, I adore them.

16347636511_11165ed9d7_h.jpg
    Lycosidae sp.

16163508587_fca8b71145_h.jpg
    Elegant grasshopper, Zunoceros elegans.

15726928014_6fe304ea6e_h.jpg
    Green lynx spider, Peucetia nicolae.

And probably my favourite so far:

16326036451_4d10b796d6_h.jpg
    Bagworm, Psychidae sp. These are moths which, in their larval form, make themselves a 'shell' from a silk bag covered in bits of grass or leaves, which they keep around themselves as they move around. Like a hermit crab. If you disturb them they retract inside the bag and draw the opening tightly shut. I was amazed when I found this one, I didn't know a caterpillar like this existed.

Hope you all like the pics. Got to try and get some photos of some mantids, they have some good ones here.

Bonus chamelon pic:

16140410210_d57e993a9a_h.jpg

edited: to fix everything cos I gone done fucked up

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    A patient today asked me why they are called tarantula hawks. I told her it was because they sold tarantulas at state fairs.

I may have gotten A Glare.

But seriously, these things are cool.
    tarantula_vs_tarantula_hawk.jpg

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Smof, your pictures are gorgeous. Like if you told me you stole them from a National Geographic I'd believe you.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Wandering past a fence with a tree over growing it, I saw something faintly move and discovered this lovely Capricorn beetle hiding underneath.

imagejpg1_zpsc4e967e8.jpg

Most pleasing find.

That's a pretty sweet mustache.

• Options
    The same fence I saw the Capricorn beetle pays off once again! A huge female white tail, fat and gravid from recently murdering the grey house spider from this web was sitting there. She gladly posed for a hot photo:

image.jpg1_zpssmfkss2j.jpg

This is by far the biggest one I have seen at about 1" in length.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Smof, your pictures are gorgeous. Like if you told me you stole them from a National Geographic I'd believe you.

Thank you very much. I find myself wishing my camera/skills were better. but it's nice to know other people are appreciating the pics. I think a lot of my fellow students focus on the mammals and birds. I try to dedicate attention to the bugs because there is such an amazing diversity of them here. They're also considerably easier to photograph than birds and mammals because they tend to stay still for longer.

• Options
    I was just reading the snugglehug thread

and I gotta say, I think that lycosid photo is the cutest thing I've seen today

it looks so inquisitive

• Options
    hey folks, bugboy here with some Valentine's wisdom

it's often been said that you should wait to eat until after valentine's day romance, lest being full of food lead to unpleasantness

this is profoundly untrue

if you wait to present your mate with sustenance until after copulation, she may simply eat you to provide herself with the necessary protein to produce eggs

So make sure to procure a good meal for your loved one this valentine's day! It could save your life.

• Options
    007-lynx-spider.jpg
    Golden lynx spider, Oxyopes jacksoni

007-spider.jpg
    Golden orb weaver, Nephila senegalensis, with lunch

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    tumblr_nkaa7i9j8N1tqcqb6o1_500.png

• Options
    I don't know what that is, but I love it.

e7a7ytN.jpg

Speaking of which, can anyone identify this little critter? Found it under the deck today, and I'd seen one before, but I don't know what they're called.

• Options
    Looks like some sort of leaffooted bug. Western Conifer Seed, maybe?

• Options
    After a quick google, it sure does look like one.

Also, I have learned that the word "bug" is actually a scientific term. And that pleases me.

• Options
    I really love how bug can be used super casually or really specifically, depending on context

I'm kind of curious about how that came to be, actually

gotta do some research on the etymology of entomology

• Options
    http://m.phys.org/news/2015-04-spider-species.html

Frickin color changing spidies y'all

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    http://m.phys.org/news/2015-04-spider-species.html

Frickin color changing spidies y'all

New study shows species of spider can change shape to resemble appearance of tooth brush in order to feed on your mouth germs.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Springtime is here in NE Indiana. I have seen my first wildflowers, reptiles, amphibians, and butterflies.

The first moths and butterflies to see are those that overwinter.

The mourning cloaks pictured here can live for most of a year.

cloak.jpg
    079.jpg
    034.jpg
    The Green comma or eastern comma (idk which) are named for a mark on the less colorful side of their wings. Getting a shot of that has proven to be elusive.
    087.jpg
    (A friend's photo from sunday)
    spidie.jpg

Foolproof on
  • Options
    Do insects need to sleep? I've had flies buzzing around me all day and they still haven't stopped.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Do insects need to sleep? I've had flies buzzing around me all day and they still haven't stopped.

I believe that everything that has a central nervous system has been observed to need rest. This includes insects.

Obviously the way that insects rest isn't quite the same as mammalian sleep, but it probably serves the same purpose.

Or at least, that's what I remember reading in the past. I'm not an entomologist.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Thanks, I guess the flies are just annoying me in shifts.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I found this lil buggy trapped in a bucket at work yesterday. It was iridescent and shimmery and was black or green depending on how I looked at it. Anyone know what it is? And in case anyone was curious, I rescued it and set it free in the grass nearby.

11021550_902082166481668_3183041592748073703_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fiery Searcher Beetle, I think. Also known as a Caterpillar Eater, for reasons that make them welcome in gardens.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Someone give me a slap on the wrist, I called barnacles molluscs today.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @BugBoy before I turn to Dr Google, any idea what this is? It's about 2 inches long.

23pirykt1wdm.jpg

also have a bumble. Because bumbles are awesome.

kkjxnww3xp64.jpeg