As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I love jumping spiders. I think it's because they have such large eyes (large eyes=cute). But also because they move about so much. Most other spiders are content to stay motionless on their web until something comes along.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    And how they move too fast to quite follow between jumps. Whenever I see a jumping spider making its way across the ceiling I imagine little BAMF!s every time it vanishes and reappears half an inch away.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Same with these cuties:
    256007642_6191e16c09.jpg

*pip* and they're somewhere else

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Lovely Camel Spider in the (empty) pool this morning. Little nerve-wracking getting some close shots with my crummy camera because it liked to charge at me every time I got close.

2rs.jpg

And with a penny for some useful scale. Pretty big, but not "I'm scared I'm going to lose a toe if it catches up to me" big.

3rs.jpg

There was one of these about half this size in the back room where I work last week that escaped while I looked for something to capture it with. Glad I got a second chance to get a close look at one.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I hear camel spiders are neither camels nor spiders!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I hear camel spiders are neither camels nor spiders!

That's just what the Bug Illuminati want you to think.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I feel the need to share my joy.

For months now I've had a small spider that decided to spin her cobweb in the corner where my shower, wall, and floor all meet. This is directly across from the toilet, so you can't miss her. But its also in a spot out of the way, so there is no risk of hitting the web, disturbing the spider, or possibly getting bitten, basically the perfect spot to leave a spider web. On the occasion where there would be a bug in the shower, I'd just catch it and toss it into her web, because I like spiders and hate nymph cockroaches. She's molted 4 times, because apparently giant gods hand delivering food to your web is good for growing spiders.

Well last week one of my cats got into the bathroom and we found her entire web torn from the wall and dragged to the middle of the bath mat. And no sign of the spider. There is a small crack in the wall in that corner that I've seen the spider retreat too, but after a week with no sight of her I was afraid my cats had gotten her with the web.

But this morning there she was, working on rebuilding her web! And I am happy my spider friend is ok!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    We named one of the barn spiders on our porch Bertha because she was a big tough gal. She caught a wasp! It's weird how we can get attached to random bugs just because we see them so often around the house.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a loooot of spiders in my room because a) I like spiders and hate mosquitoes and b) I am too lazy to dust. Most of them are cellar spiders but a few weeks ago a female Latrodectus geometricus moved in. They're related to, but less dangerous than, black widows and redbacks, and are imho one of the coolest looking types of spider. I luvs her.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Sat in the office today and I hear our resident male red-headed weaver going nuts outside the window. Go outside to find he has attacked a baby boomslang, which has fallen from the tree and is now hiding under the spare tyres we have leaning up against said tree. Can't really blame him for losing his shit as every year he makes his nests and woos his females, and every year a boomslang comes and eats his babies.

We managed to coax the snake into a small box (using snake tongs. They are the most venomous snakes in Africa so I'm definitely not gonna touch one) and released it down the end of our driveway. When I got back the weaver was still hopping about in the tree, ready to fuck up the first snake-looking thing he saw.

Vi0EE5Y.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Sat in the office today and I hear our resident male red-headed weaver going nuts outside the window. Go outside to find he has attacked a baby boomslang, which has fallen from the tree and is now hiding under the spare tyres we have leaning up against said tree. Can't really blame him for losing his shit as every year he makes his nests and woos his females, and every year a boomslang comes and eats his babies.

We managed to coax the snake into a small box (using snake tongs. They are the most venomous snakes in Africa so I'm definitely not gonna touch one) and released it down the end of our driveway. When I got back the weaver was still hoping about in the tree, ready to fuck up the first snake-looking thing he saw.

Vi0EE5Y.jpg

If it weren't for the fact that it's so very, very deadly, I'd say that's a damned adorable baby snek.

• Options
    It's still adorable!

• Options
    It's still adorable!

All I'm saying is that when your venom has the ability to make me bleed to death from all of my most favorite orifices over the course of up to a week, you get moved off the "adorable" list.
    At least, in my book.

Don't worry though, there's still plenty of space on the "Beautiful but deadly, NO CUDDLES" list.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26kus22RaTo
    This is a Sea Sapphire! And when it doesn’t look amazing it’s invisible!
    This is a type of crustacean called a copepod. It’s back is covered in guanine crystals. If it weren’t for these crystals the Sea Sapphire would be transparent, but these crystals are spaced in such a way that they strongly reflect certain colours of light. The colour of the light that’s reflected is dependent on the angle that it comes in.
    Usually, it reflects blue light, but when the light hits the Sea Sapphire at 45 degrees, the reflected light shifts into the ultraviolet. And since we can’t see that it becomes invisible!

I know I am a year and a half late in quoting this post, but I saw one of these when I was snorkeling once as a kid and it was so beautiful and subtle I almost thought it was a hallucination

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I found a beetle!

It was black, about an inch long, with a nasty-looking set of mandibles. He was rolling about on his back, so I fetched myself a twig and attempted to right the poor little fellow, but he just kept flipping back over and writhing, his rear legs completely straight. I figured he'd probably been injured in some way, so unfortunately I had to leave the little critter there and let nature run her course.

might have been molting?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Guys! Guys! There is such a thing as a Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider (and a Skeletorus peacock spider...but they don't show that guy in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-r20mlGes

Images of the Sparklemuffin and Skeletorus. I'll let you guess which one is which.
    peacock-spiders.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    One of the larger house centipedes I've seen is hanging around my apartment right now. It's also unusually brave-it let me get really close, when usually they run away at the slightest provocation.

Bugboy is having a Good Saturday Night.

• Options
    I'm not skittish around many insects, but house centipedes trigger a response in my amygdala that I'm about to be attacked by something that will kill me.

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »
    One of the larger house centipedes I've seen is hanging around my apartment right now. It's also unusually brave-it let me get really close, when usually they run away at the slightest provocation.

Bugboy is having a Good Saturday Night.

I've never had a house centipede in my actual house! Just mole crickets and the occasional scorpion. There were a ton of them in my high school library, though, and I always thought their stripy little leg halo was very pretty.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Ooh, mole crickets. I'm jealous! Never seen one in person.

• Options

*GIS*
    Whelp, those look horrifying.
    Didn't really need to sleep tonight.

• Options

They're really neat! However, as advertised, they will make an ungodly mess out of your lawn. I'm very grateful that we sold this place in December instead of July, because there are patches of my yard that look like the surface of the moon.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

*GIS*

How weird could a cricket look..
    Oh

OK
    Whelp

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    "Oh shit yes! It's friend House Centipede!"

-Bugboy, just now

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'll take house centipedes and mole crickets any day of the week over camel crickets

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Rereading the thread title, are there small crawly things with two legs?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Rereading the thread title, are there small crawly things with two legs?

xxx_84142935_63100263.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ...truly horrifying.

• Options
    I just remembered that I neglected to knock down the wasp nests in the back yard of my house before I sold it to a landlord, and we have absolutely not had a hard freeze in OKC this winter. Ha ha! Good luck with that, new renters!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    wtf it even has a rabbit/dog like face.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    wtf it even has a rabbit/dog like face.

facebook-messenger-emojis.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    We had a puff adder turn up at the place I was staying last week. It was very angry when it was caught and put in a box so we left it to (literally) chill the fuck out over night before releasing it in the morning. It was still quite angry, but was cool enough to not be able to do much about it. It was very pretty.

2mu6x58rsov8.jpg

30g1hgjnil8y.jpg

adezo2t0jwrv.jpg

o0rd21s2ocib.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    those are all great pics but that last one especially is fucking awesome

• Options
    Dankie. I do like how you can see our reflections in its eye.

6gdkjbtvr66v.jpg

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

*GIS*
    Okay, this was from four months ago, but how are mole crickets not adorable??
    ri0exvkedkew.jpg
    They have stubby little hands!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options

6gdkjbtvr66v.jpg

Who was it that liked using pics like this for jigsaw puzzles for their dad? Because I would think this would be both really cool and pretty difficult!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

6gdkjbtvr66v.jpg

Who was it that liked using pics like this for jigsaw puzzles for their dad? Because I would think this would be both really cool and pretty difficult!

That was me actually. That's a good idea!

• Options
    Oh I couldn't remember if you was you or nic and didn't want to do a callout in case I was wrong and would look like a big dumb doofus.

• Options
    I just saw one of my favorite beetles in person (a Bess Beetle!) for the first time. It walked around on my fingers for a bit. They're supposed to make little sounds when they're upset, but this one was totally calm so I didn't get to hear them. I'm happy that it didn't mind hanging out with me, I suppose.

Today is an excellent day!