As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney Buys LucasFilm. Episode 7 announced for 2015.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Considering Star Wars is already very much present in Disney World, this is not too absurd of a deal.

I still love that video of the asian girl who bows down to Vader and wants to become his apprentice.

The kid is suppose to want to be a Jedi.

Girl has a good head on her shoulders. Who wants to be apprenticed to Obi Wan when Darth Vader is badassing it up?

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Man, I thought that "Episode 7" in the thread title was just a "lol Disney loves sequels" joke.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Fallingman wrote: »
    In a weird way, while in any other franchise this would be hard to pull off amid all the cries of "cynical cashing in of the brand", Lucas has already done so much damage, that I actually wonder whther fans might be cautiously optimistic about this?

Have you met Star Wars fans? They're the Democrats of fandom.

This might be the best analogy ever.

• Options
    GrouchGrouch Registered User regular
    This is great. I will always have a soft spot for Star Wars, and if this means more movies in the galaxy far, far away, I support it wholeheartedly.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I bet they just kept firing bundles of cash at lucas with a catapult until he capitulated

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Who cares? Star Wars has lost pretty much all the cultural goodwill it had built up.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Who cares? Star Wars has lot pretty much all the cultural goodwill it had built up.

I dont know, Only having 3 movies could leave people very hungry for more. Provided its done well.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The real question is, how much more Star Wars will we be seeing in Disney World? It's not like they have to negotiate with anyone for that stuff now (cough..Avatar...cough).

And to compare with Marvel, Disney basically didn't want to disrupt how they were doing things. Star Wars, on the other hand, could use some guidance. Like, someone to go back and go over all those scripts for the live-action show that Lucas wrote.

Wow, does this mean that in a few years, ABC could have 2 hours a week filled by SHIELD and Star Wars?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, is it just me, or does 2 years sound like a really short amount of time to create a new movie? I guess they may already have a script, but it seems like a really short amount of time to go from nothing to blockbuster release.
    Of course, since most of the shooting will likely be done on a sound stage in front of a green screen, I suppose that'll cut down on the time requirements substantially.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the best thing to revitalize Star Wars is to take it away from Lucas.

So, maybe a good thing.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I am trying to be cautiously optimistic but the little fanboy inside is running through fantasy scenarios and all it is doing is giving me a massive lightsaber length boner.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I was never huge in to the extended universe, and really, the EU stuff is SO prevalent in every relevant time period, the choice is basically "No more movies" or "Some EU stuff is going to get invalidated"

Disney won't give a fuck and they shouldn't give a fuck about the EU. Most of it is shit anyway, and even the good stuff doesn't really get invalidated. Nobody will take away the books from your house.

I am cautiously optimistic. I really, really hope they nail it the same way they nailed the Marvel movies. But time will tell.

What happens to the rumored TV show now? That gonna happen?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I really doubt Episode 7 will be anything from the EU (beyond some references), but I have to wonder exactly what Disney will do.

I don't see them trying to debut an entirely new cast of characters for their shiny new Star Wars franchise, especially when it has to compete with some rather big movies that same summer (though Disney actually owns Avengers as well so they can position those at opposite ends of the summer or something). A lot of people are going to be expecting to see a known Skywalker starring in the film. That then leads to the question of if they'd recast the roles or set the movie decades after Episode 6 and bring back the original cast.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So will Sora be taking on the Death Star in Kingdom Hearts 3?

• Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess they turn the Young Jedi Knights series into a trilogy for 7-9. That way new faces and young actors but you can still tie in the origional cast due to them being more of background characters, and you can explain the age difference away easier

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    see317 wrote: »
    So, is it just me, or does 2 years sound like a really short amount of time to create a new movie? I guess they may already have a script, but it seems like a really short amount of time to go from nothing to blockbuster release.
    Of course, since most of the shooting will likely be done on a sound stage in front of a green screen, I suppose that'll cut down on the time requirements substantially.

The way this went down, suddenly, without a whisper and then BAM, I'm guessing Disney has a script ready to go (or very nearly ready) and will start casting right away. Just please, pleeeaaasee let them do a trilogy on Thrawn. The scroll opening with him shredding the New Republic task force that outguns him would be amazing.

Edit: It would also be really interesting to see how they played with the "Obviously a military dictator in terms, but also not down with the Empires racism/anti women shit and trusts his underlings".

Mvrck on
  • Options
    I'm gonna guess that the people who would whine the most about the EU being invalidated are also the ones who would be happiest about Lucas being more hands-off. So it'll be a wash.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I am trying to be cautiously optimistic but the little fanboy inside is running through fantasy scenarios and all it is doing is giving me a massive lightsaber length boner.

We can now have kingdom hearts avengers star wars crossovers

override367 on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    So will Sora be taking on the Death Star in Kingdom Hearts 3?

We can only Hope.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'd love for the moves to be in the Old Republic. Not based on the game necessarily, but perhaps deal with the Mandalorian wars or something.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well, Mark Hamill is old enough to be an Obi-Wan-esque mentor figure. Let's do this shiz.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    So... maybe this will lead to a clean up of the original trilogy and a good release of them on blu ray?

No I don't.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Between this and their ownership of the Muppets, Disney pretty much owns the intellectual property rights to my childhood.

I am now irrationally hopeful that Disney's profit motive will overpower Lucas' auteur delusions and we'll finally get a decently remastered version of the original theatrical trilogy on Blu-Ray.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Honestly if they put out more crappy movies then I'll be a bit annoyed, but the original three are still just as good as I remember, no matter how many bullshit movies and cartoons they make (Tartakovsky's Clone Wars can sit at the cool table too).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    IIRC, there isn't even a script for Avengers 2 yet and that's coming out the same year. I imagine they won't even start filming it until the middle of 2014 (For comparison, Iron man 3 started filming in May of this year, about a year before it's due out.)

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Also, Muppets + Star Wars = Pigs In Space: The Movie.

Make it happen, Disney.

• Options
    I see no scenario in which Disney releases a Star Wars movie as bad as the prequels

Even if it's of the quality of Ironman 2 it would be a substantial improvement

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    In a weird way, while in any other franchise this would be hard to pull off amid all the cries of "cynical cashing in of the brand", Lucas has already done so much damage, that I actually wonder whther fans might be cautiously optimistic about this?

This is actuallly my sentiments exactly. It's not like he just suddenly sold out. If Disney could have prevented Greedo from shooting first, or if they could have ensured a proper finished product in KotOR II, then this should have happened years ago.

On the other hand, that movie about the 1800s guy on Mars was one of the worst things I've ever seen. One of like two movies ever that I started and never finished. If they do something like that, it will be worse than Jar Jar and the Star Wars Christmas put together.

I still love that video of the asian girl who bows down to Vader and wants to become his apprentice.

I don't think she was Asian.

Yar on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    From what is being reported the EU seems to be effectively axed.

Also

U41bU.jpg

That picture looks so depressing somehow. Even Lucas looks like he's had his soul sucked out.

• Options
    Hmm...Avengers 2 is coming on May 1. Star Wars movies are supposed to come out the 3rd week of May. I don't see that happening. ...If a Star Wars movie releases in June or July, is it still a Star Wars movie?

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular

Hooray!

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Big question is: are we canonizing the books (and rewriting as we feel like) or giving them the finger? The cast's age at this point suggests the latter. But they could do something Legacy style and make it WAAAAY after Return of the Jedi. Which would be neat in a "everything should be different" kind of way.

Well okay, maybe the bigger question is: do people actually want this? And my guess is that it does not matter, they will watch it anyway. It honestly seems fine to me, Bond and Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and so on did more than trilogies. It's more about how good the actual movie is rather than if they're "milking the license" or not.

I actually just debated this with a co-worker who is the biggest Star Wars fan in the office.

He thinks that they need to jump into episode 7 using Mark, Harrison, and Carrie as grandparents basically, as a tasteful send off to the new cast, and pick up from there.

I think Legacy would be the better choice, but it's WAY too dark for Disney, especially for a first outing.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Also

U41bU.jpg

That picture looks so depressing somehow. Even Lucas looks like he's had his soul sucked out.

All he needs is a missing hand and you've got a scene from one of his movies right there.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Also
    U41bU.jpg
    Well, I'd imagine that being the target of the entire internet's hate-on for over a decade will do that to a person.

• Options
    Except it's kind of in reverse, as Lucas is the dark side... right?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Also

U41bU.jpg

Hey, he wanted that treaty signed. Took him 13 years but he finally got it.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I really got to wonder why Lucas would sell now. When you're as rich as that mutha, I can't imagine that making any more moolah would be that urgent.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Also

U41bU.jpg

George looks like thy hit his toes with a hammer and the only way to make them stop was to sign.

One guys is :D then George :(

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yar wrote: »

This is actuallly my sentiments exactly. It's not like he just suddenly sold out. If Disney could have prevented Greedo from shooting first, or if they could have ensured a proper finished product in KotOR II, then this should have happened years ago.

On the other hand, that movie about the 1800s guy on Mars was one of the worst things I've ever seen. One of like two movies ever that I started and never finished. If they do something like that, it will be worse than Jar Jar and the Star Wars Christmas put together.

I don't think she was Asian.

Apparently John Carter was a passion project for one of the Pixar dudes. Disney probably threw him a bone so he'd make Toy Story 4 or something.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Also

U41bU.jpg

George looks like thy hit his toes with a hammer and the only way to make them stop was to sign.

One guys is :D then George :(

Bob Iger (on the left) is a pretty standup guy though. He rescued Disney from the clutches of Michael "I'm actually Hitler" Eisner.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.