As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Alternative to MS Power Point?

Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
I have to give a power point presentation (along with a 4 page paper) for Speech class, but I'm poor. Are there any free alternatives to power point that can be recognized by the real deal? It's bad enough I have no clue how to make a power point presentation, geez...

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    OpenOffice or LibreOffice are open source alternatives to Microsoft Office, including something for making presentations which you can save as a .ppt file.

Don't do anything too fancy with it, as the formatting is not always universally the same between them.

You may also consider, after making the presentation, to simply save it as a PDF where each slide is a page (it should be pretty easy to do that), so you won't have to worry about formatting issues.

Addendum: I have grown to like Microsoft Office a lot more than the free alternatives, so I'd encourage you to try and get a copy at a student discount or something.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Employers can have discount programs through companies like Microsoft as well. For example, I can purchase Office for $10. You might want to look into that.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've been able to use OpenOffice (and now LibreOffice) for Powerpoints, etc. for classes for years now. I greatly prefer the UI for their whole suite, so I've almost never used Microsoft's Office/Powerpoint programs. (Before OpenOffice, I always used WordPerfect because I hated Office. I switched off of WordPerfect several years ago because OpenOffice/LibreOffice work better for me as well.)

Edit: Just try to make sure you save things in Microsoft's formats (*.ppt, *.doc using the Office 2000-something option) because I wouldn't count on any of Microsoft's products happily opening anything in an open format. Because they want you to use their own products.

Essee on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I believe google docs has a version of powerpoint.

I think it can even export to ppt.

Worth looking into.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    http://www.google.com/drive/start/apps.html#product=slides

If you've already got a google account then you have 0 things to download which makes this a bit better. I hate libre/open office something fierce.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Assuming you're a university student, you probably want to go to the computer lab and use actual powerpoint there if you're going to be graded on formatting at all.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Seconding Bowen - Google Present is pretty rad, they even have a new feature where you can search for images inside the program, then insert them into the presentation.

The number of 'themes' is a little limited, but all in all, it's a pretty solid program.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    One of those should be sufficient. I appreciate it guys. :)

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    It sounds like this is for a college course. Most campuses have student labs with MS Office installed - then you'd know for certain that your presentation met the instructor's guidelines (if there are any specific to your presentation format).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also, if you are willing to put up with bugs but really, REALLY need a true powerpoint program, the Consumer Preview of Office 2013 is out and free until the general release version comes out. A coworker's been using Outlook 2013 for a couple months now. Just save it in a backwards compatable mode.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

If you've already got a google account then you have 0 things to download which makes this a bit better. I hate libre/open office something fierce.

I'm curious to know why the hate for OO? I guess OO was/is pretty bad, but I'm digging Libre.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I'm curious to know why the hate for OO? I guess OO was/is pretty bad, but I'm digging Libre.

I've only used LibreOffice briefly, but it didn't strike me as much different that OO. And while initially I thought OO was pretty cool (open source yayy), it just never seemed as pleasant or robust to use as Microsoft Office.

Maybe LO is worth trying again?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Java :rotate: mostly.

And it's slow as beans, at least at launch. Sometimes it takes me a good 5 minutes to get into it and start working.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also note that the student license price for office is something dumb like 65 bucks, and well worth the money.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Java :rotate: mostly.

And it's slow as beans, at least at launch. Sometimes it takes me a good 5 minutes to get into it and start working.

Yeah, Java. D: That's some crazy load times. 5 seconds for me on an i5 Win7 laptop from last year.

Not saying LO is better than Office - the FREE part gives it major points for me - but find it competent enough.
    schuss wrote: »
    Also note that the student license price for office is something dumb like 65 bucks, and well worth the money.

Of course if you have that option, I'd totally go for it.