As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RDP on Win8 to Linux server. Windows insists to put domain info as part of user name :-(

I am using RDP on a Win8 machine to remotely connect to a Linux box (Ubuntu 12.04) and I have an annoying issue.

As it's on my own LAN and there is no major security concerns I want Windows to remember the user name and password for the RDP session so I can simply connect to the Linux box without having to type any user credentials. It seems Windows is happy doing this except it insist that the user name also holds a domain name (which not relevant for the Linux box).

Example. Say my user name for the Linux box is "John" then Windows will remember this as "DomainName\John" leaving me having correct the user name whenever I want to connect.

It seems the issue is an Windows 8 final one as I can't recall having this with Windows 8 preview (or any other windows versions). Or maybe it is just that I am missing some configuration option combination.

Any tips?

Bones heal, glory is forever.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Try entering your name as "\jonn"

Though RDP is gonna discard the domain info anyway once it realizes the host doesn't need a domain.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Try entering your name as "\jonn"

Though RDP is gonna discard the domain info anyway once it realizes the host doesn't need a domain.

You were spot on. Thank you.

Adding the "\" stopped Windows pushing a domain name and once I was able to connect to the linux server the user credentials is kept from session to session as expected.

Bones heal, glory is forever.