As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HP Laptop Keeps Restarting

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
So every night my laptop keeps running a Windows System Update and, as a result, restarts every night. When it restarts it tells me that one of the updates failed, but it doesn't tell me which one.

Is there a way to figure out what is trying to be installed and fails? Also, is there a way to turn this off?

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You should go into Windows Update yourself (in Control Panel) and view the update history to find out what failed, or actually just have it search for updates in general. Then you can either go manually download the one update that keeps failing (google the update number), or tell Windows to ignore that specific update. I can go more specific if my instructions are too vague (especially if you can tell me what version of Windows you're using), since I'm kind of tired at the moment.

Essee on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This was a Bill Murray movie. Your laptop has to find true love.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    So after looking, it turns out the following updates are consistently failing:

updatefailure.jpg

Do I have a major problem?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    uh

yes

Try doing a repair install.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sometimes the issue is something got borked when it downloaded the installer for the update. You can check in the Windows folder for a hidden folder with a name like $<number of update> and delete the folder and that will force it to redownload when you run windows update.

steam_sig.png
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    uh

yes

I installed the program and it seems to have solved the problem and fixed the update situation. How do I tell it to stop deleting my cookies and history? I've ran it a few times already and everytime I do, my 'recently viewed pages' and saved passwords for websites all reset.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm having a similar problem. Where do you change it to view hidden files?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Open an explorer window, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab.

steam_sig.png
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    uh

yes

I installed the program and it seems to have solved the problem and fixed the update situation. How do I tell it to stop deleting my cookies and history? I've ran it a few times already and everytime I do, my 'recently viewed pages' and saved passwords for websites all reset.
    What program are we talking about that you installed?

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

Quite often you can just download the KB# that is failing from download.microsoft.com to the desktop. Reboot once, install it and reboot again if it asks. There are a few updates that this happens with. As a guy who oversees updates for a few hundred machines every month, it's a sort of obnoxious thing.