As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Civ is the best, I like it a lot

chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
gandhi.jpg

And Gandhi likes it too.
Civilization IV features gorgeous 3D graphics, loads of in-game movies, brilliant audio and music, and, most importantly, the best and most addictive gameplay of any strategy game ever created. As a matter of fact, Time magazine has named Civ IV one of the hottest new games this year!

Sid Meier’s Civilization is a turn-based strategy game that challenges players to build and expand an empire, throughout all of human history, and become the most powerful ruler in the world. Choose one of 18 nations to lead and go head to head with some of the most famous leaders in history. Each civilization has its own special characteristics - some are fairly peaceful, while others are expansionists and conquerors. You’ll battle your foes with a huge arsenal of weapons, beginning with primitive archers and warriors, then catapults, knights and frigates, and eventually with modern tanks, submarines, mobile infantry, helicopter gunships, stealth bombers, and nuclear weapons. However, Civilization IV is more than just a great combat game: you can also achieve victory through diplomatic cunning, cultural or religious alliances, and technological dominance.

Civilization IV delivers faster mid and late game AI turns, and offers greater control over your civilization's government and religions, while at the same time de-emphasizing the less fun micromanagement (cleaning up pollution, for example). And there’s more! Civ IV has been designed from the ground-up to deliver fantastic multiplayer gaming options, as well as unprecedented modding tools - allowing you to create new units, game maps, scenarios, and even entire new civilizations!

I don't understand why there isn't a thread to discuss and/or touch yourself to the awesomeness that is Civ IV, so I decided to take a break from studying to make one.

I only recently got into the series with the latest entry - that is, Civ IV - and it is honestly the most addictive piece of software I have come across this side of the first Sims game. It's also pretty hard (for me, at least) but the challenge is what makes it such a rewarding exprience. Anyone that's played the game can tell you that there's nothing quite like going to war against your neighbors with elephants and samurai at your command or having that moment of "oh, I am so fucked" when a neighbor launches a nuke at your SDI-less ass.

art_3629_id_4_mw_520.jpeg

Boom.

As an added bonus, you get to learn a little bit about history as you play. For instance, I learned that the Americans founded Islam and that Gandhi is a ruthless motherfucker! Geewhiz!

There's only one question when it comes to any of the Civ games: greatest game or THE ULTIMATE GAME? Discuss away.

Edit: Even though my post is Civ IV-centric, feel free to talk about any of the Civ games and expansions. Oh, and Alpha Centauri, too.

Nerds.
chickenmania on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Where is my Alpha Centauri II!!!!!!!!

LewieP on
  • EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Where is my Alpha Centauri II!!!!!!!!

Not close, since EA owns the intellectual rights.

And Civ IV is awesome. I played the shit out of it with Huayna Capac. Financial fo' lyfe.

Ethelred on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's likely the whole out for a number of years thing is why we have no thread. I should play more Civ4 though. We used to have some fun succession games where people would just play like 10 turns then pass it on.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Civ 4 is pretty damn fun. I just wish it ran better.

tofu on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.civanon.org/home.shtml

Must... break... the CYCLE!

(click the flashing banner on the left for a video explanation)

subedii on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    http://www.civanon.org/home.shtml

Must... break... the CYCLE!

(click the flashing banner on the left for a video explanation)

Hahaha, awesome. The guy with the viking helmet in the background of the main page is a brilliant touch.

Vic on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Countdown until someone comes around and starts talking about how Civ4 sucks donkey balls compared to Civ 1 because games from the past are always better than games today...10...9...8...

I'm planning on getting a new computer today, which will be great because I'll actually be able to play Civ4 above a small planet without taking a minute between turns.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Countdown until someone comes around and starts talking about how Civ4 sucks donkey balls compared to Civ 1 because games from the past are always better than games today...10...9...8...

I'm planning on getting a new computer today, which will be great because I'll actually be able to play Civ4 above a small planet without taking a minute between turns.

Heh, I guess someone will eventually. Personally I never played CivI, but loved the crap out of two and disliked the third. I found CivIII unit combat to be very random and favoring the computer players, but that might just have been paranoia. CivIV tops the second for me though, and it is a really awesome game.

Actually, as I write this I suddenly realise that what I really want is a game that is a mix between CivIV, Total War and Supreme commander. Stepless zooming from unit level to the world map. Large cities that can be laid siege to. Armies of hundred men and horses marching over the hills.

Meh, it will take a long time before we get there. Some day though.

Vic on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Only thing that I would really like to see in next Civ is ability to transfer food between cities.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vic wrote: »

Heh, I guess someone will eventually. Personally I never played CivI, but loved the crap out of two and disliked the third. I found CivIII unit combat to be very random and favoring the computer players, but that might just have been paranoia. CivIV tops the second for me though, and it is a really awesome game.

Actually, as I write this I suddenly realise that what I really want is a game that is a mix between CivIV, Total War and Supreme commander. Stepless zooming from unit level to the world map. Large cities that can be laid siege to. Armies of hundred men and horses marching over the hills.

Meh, it will take a long time before we get there. Some day though.

If you replace the large cities with planets and the armies of men on horses with space ships and starfighters there is a game coming out soon which hopes to realize this goal.

From the people who brought us the GalCiv series, Stardock's next game Sins of a Solar Empire looks fairly promising. They're calling it the RT4X sub-genre, and while it's kind of a gimmicky title it does sound enticing.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread. Civ 4 is great, but honestly I found myself playing GalCIv2 a heckuva a lot more. I'm sure I'll get yelled at for saying this though I'm just more into the sci-fi setting than a historical one. I also realize the complexity of GalCiv2 is nothing compared to the depth of Civ4. That's why I still play Civ4 from time to time.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm derailing the thread. Civ 4 is great, but honestly I found myself playing GalCIv2 a heckuva a lot more. I'm sure I'll get yelled at for saying this though I'm just more into the sci-fi setting than a historical one. I also realize the complexity of GalCiv2 is nothing compared to the depth of Civ4. That's why I still play Civ4 from time to time.

You know I tried to play GalCiv2 and found that really their was just too much complexity there. I suspect the complexity was just poorly explained and introduced really fast. *shrug*

Pitboss for Civ4 is awesome.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Only thing that I would really like to see in next Civ is ability to transfer food between cities.

You could in Civ2. Or maybe the original Civ. I forget. It was... somewhat unbalancing.

Aroduc on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Couldn't you do that in, I believe it was Civ 2? You could use those Freight units and transfer food, I swear. Maybe it's just my imagination though; it's been years since I've played it.

edit: Beaten. Curse you Aroduc!

I too, yearn for a game like Civ 4 but with a huge depth to it not unlike SupCom. I remember when I was younger and all the Maxis "Sim" games were the rage, I had this idea for an ultimate sim/strategy game. You had buildable units and factions like Alpha Centauri, a strategic game from Civilization, a city building game from a pared-down version of Sim City, and battles from some other game I've forgotten now (although something like the Total War series would certainly work). Nowadays I realize it would be far too costly and ridiculous to make and play, but still. Seemed like a neat idea at the time.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My computer cant handle Civ IV, but I just got the itch to play some Civ III recently. THIS GAME CONSUMES LIVES.

Also, this picture accurately sums up the game:
    motivator1091933cb1.jpg

quovadis13 on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never played past the middle difficulty, Warlord. But at least I always win.

Wow, apparently people have beaten the Deity level. Amazing.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I loved the first and second games in the series and haven't touched any of the more recent ones. Moreover my Civ 2 disk has disappeared. Should I rebuy the second game or try out Civ 4?

RainbowDespair on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    I've never played past the middle difficulty, Warlord. But at least I always win.

I don't bother with the higher difficulties, because the AI doesn't get any smarter. It just cheats more.

Tube on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Get Civ4. But make sure you can afford to lose some sleep.
    So I loved the first and second games in the series and haven't touched any of the more recent ones. Moreover my Civ 2 disk has disappeared. Should I rebuy the second game or try out Civ 4?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Civ IV is hands down the best so far. It's such a huge step forward from Civ III it's not even funny, and it's got none of the bugginess III had, or the computer cheating II had.

The expansion pack is actually really great too. I can win on Noble difficulty so far, I play a new game about once every month or two, on Epic duration. I'mma try the next step up soon I think.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

I don't bother with the higher difficulties, because the AI doesn't get any smarter. It just cheats more.

It used to cheat in Civ II for sure, and maybe in III, but I've never heard of anyone proving that it cheats in IV. The calculations do get weighted in the PC's favor on higher levels though, the same way they're weighted in your favor at the lower levels. I'm pretty sure Noble is the one where the playing field is actually level.

Pheezer on
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    It used to cheat in Civ II for sure, and maybe in III, but I've never heard of anyone proving that it cheats in IV.

Yup. There isn't anything cheating related on AI code, but calculations favor computer rather unfairly on higher levels. I would have honestly liked to see that computer opponents would be actually smarter instead of giving them mathematical advantage. In first Civilization, AI cheated all the time. For example, it's trimenes couldn't sunk and it automatically created wonder when it wanted to do so.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The best part of Civ 4 is that it finally stops punishing you for making big cities with lots of improvements.

jothki on
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    The best part of Civ 4 is that it finally stops punishing you for making big cities with lots of improvements.

Actually no. If you have city that has size over 30, you actually start to lose profits due unhappiness, corruption and pollution. It's really bizarre. Farming communities turn into big bloated leeches, and cities that have industry stay relatively small and unefficient. That's why I would have liked to see possibility to distribute food among the connected cities. This could be balanced rather easily, by limiting how much food you can move before certain tech, by making ratio to 2:1, etc. It would also add new layer of strategy, though I suspect AI wouldn't use it efficiently.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So Alpha Centauri just came out on Gametap last week.

Just putting that out there.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
    edited March 2007
    It used to cheat in Civ II for sure, and maybe in III, but I've never heard of anyone proving that it cheats in IV.

Yup. There isn't anything cheating related on AI code, but calculations favor computer rather unfairly on higher levels. I would have honestly liked to see that computer opponents would be actually smarter instead of giving them mathematical advantage. In first Civilization, AI cheated all the time. For example, it's trimenes couldn't sunk and it automatically created wonder when it wanted to do so.

I think they do get smarter and do gain certain tendencies that make it harder for the player, such as building alliances and so forth, but that's not what you notice the most when you play at higher levels. You notice the fact that it's way harder to kill stuff.

Pheezer on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was recently playing a game as Japan. I had pretty much dominated my starting continent (Peter and Asoka had been beaten into submission) but the Aztecs had declared war on me and kept sending troops from the other continent to harass me. Of course, it was his cavalry against my infantry and tanks, so it never got too bad, but it was annoying because he kept pillaging my resources.

I had no desire for war, but he refused to talk to me, just kept sending troops on suicide missions.

So I nuked his capital.

Suddenly, Hyuna was much more willing to talk.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think they do get smarter and do gain certain tendencies that make it harder for the player, such as building alliances and so forth, but that's not what you notice the most when you play at higher levels. You notice the fact that it's way harder to kill stuff.

I don't know whether or not it counts as cheating, but the computer does get additional units and techs to start with on higher difficulty levels. Other than that and mathematical advantages, it seems to be pretty well balanced. That said, the jump from the Noble level to Prince seems really fucking hard. I destroy the computer on Noble but cannot for the life of me get close to holding my own on Prince.

Anyway, who do you play as the most and what strategy do you guys like to use? Me, I tend to go for France (with Napoleon at the helm) or Japan, with a slight preference for France because of their wonder building bonus. I loves me the aggressive Civs, though I only go to war against the weaker neighboring nations early in the game (you know, to gain land+nice cities). Generally, I try to focus on building up my culture and keep up my dipolmatic ties with the most powerful nations (and demand ridiculous tributes from the weaker countries, cause fuck them, right?).

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I nuked his capital.

Hell yes.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • SledneckSledneck Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just finished a marathon game on an Archapelago map type as the Corinthians and I must say, the Archapelago map is my favorite so far.

I play this game a lot and I still underestimate the computer from time to time:

Even though you're sporting modern armor vs. his mix of infantry, marines, and WW2 era tanks, and have spent the last 15 turns positioning your battleships, carriers, and landing craft at strategic areas outside his borders for a brilliant assault on his resources and most productive cities, you're still going to want to reload the game when you declare war on him, end your turn, and see these messages:
    Your enemy has launched a missile at you and it explodes!
    Fucker .. somebody get the UN Secretary General on the phone.

I can regularly win on Noble so I think I'm going to bump it up to the next level on my next playthrough. We should start another succession game - I loved reading the last succession thread but I didn't have a chance to get in on the fun as I was still new to the board and preferred the lurking at the time.

Sledneck on