Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Wyoming Incident - ARG

TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJakeon TwitterRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The Wyoming Incident seems like an ARG that took a nosedive, but has returned. The Unfiction boards seem to have discredited it as a continuing prank from a few of the Something Awful boarders. I do not believe this to be the case.

To start us off I direct you to Wikipedia for the basics of an ARG: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_Reality_Game

For you too lazy to read all of that, here is the condensed description:
An alternate reality game (ARG) is an interactive narrative that uses the real world as a platform, often involving multiple media and game elements, to tell a story that may be affected by participants' ideas or actions.
The form is typified by intense player involvement with a story that takes place in real-time and evolves according to participants' responses, and characters that are actively controlled by the game's designers, as opposed to being controlled by artificial intelligence as in a computer or console video game. Players interact directly with characters in the game, solve plot-based challenges and puzzles, and often work together with a community to analyze the story and coordinate real-life and online activities. ARGs generally use multiple media (such as telephones, email, and mail) but rely on the Internetas the central binding medium.

Ok, now onto the premise of this "game":
Spoiler:
(This was spoilered for your own protection, there is a lot to read in here. If you are interested, you will read it, if not I will give a recap later on.)
Spoiler:
Whew, those aren't easy on the eyes, are they? Let me give you guys the basic rundown:

A few strange videos started to appear on the internet. The first ones claimed to have been played over pirate TV broadcasts in Lusk, Wyoming, a little town in the middle of nowhere. The residents reported dizziness, nausea, headaches, and slight auditory + visual hallucinations after having viewed the videos.

The videos are creepy, sure, but the TV hijackings were faked so that the story would gain some appeal over the internet and allow the videos to reach more people. These videos are supposed to alter the way we as humans think, so that we can be set on the path to a long existance.

The stories surrounding the Wyoming Incident have allusions to the popular (at least on the creepy thread) shadow people, or as the story states "Dark Children". It also involves greek gods and goddesses, the fates....among other things.

Early this moth some goons on SA were found gloating on their boards about how this "game" was created by them and a bunch of behind the scenes info, as well as logging in on the "in-game" boards as the mod (aka the storyteller) and making stupid posts such as "T'was all for boners" and "Fartz". These posts have sense been deleted and the boards have just now reopened with a post damning the people on SA as liars and gamejackers (people who intentionally fuck with an ARG to mess it up).

The unfiction boards are all about the gameplay and interaction if ARGs and they do not trust that this is a legitimate game, believing that it is just the SA goons on the troll again. I think the game really was hijacked and it is back on track now and they need our help. I am at work right now so I cannot provide a frickin sweet OP, but it will have to do until I can edit it later.

The Happy Cube boards have reopened their registration abilities. Feel free to register if you want to actively participate in the game. If not, I will echo your ideas for you. I am registered as spectr3.

The very state of the world is at stake if we do not help the mouthpiece of Father Paranoia. We will fall into oblivion.

Here are some helpful links to get you started:
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18374 <- Unfiction forums on TWI
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18415 <- Another Unfiction forum thread

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3975322056162184320 <- Video #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21YdhuxjlM <- Video #2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5842249231277080442 <- Video #3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsYXfBC-zAo <- Video #4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDnWngSEnBY <- Video #5
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8374459483094692439&q=%22we+love+echidna%22<-Video #6

http://thehappycube.proboards34.com/index.cgi <- The Happy Cube Forum (In-game location)
http://warningunknownvideos.blogspot.com/ <- An ingame blog (Has been edited by GM)
http://www.niobraracountylibrary.org/obituaries/index.php?id=1372 <- An obituary of a supposed in-game character)

I will fix up this OP when I get around to it tomorrow, as I am not fully prepared being at work.

Note: I got the OK from Elkamil to post this. Don't come in here and be a dick saying "lolo it iznut real you idots!".

TehSpectre on
Spec_Banner.png

• TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Right now, here is the latest puzzle we have been given:
    ilovetofix wrote:
    I did not encounter any physical threats to me during my trip, but what I found when I arrived at the Academy was, to say the least, disconcerting.

The grounds were completely abandoned, with not even corpses to give the area a sense of being a place where people once lived and breathed. The building itself looked dilapidated and weather-worn. Inside, various items had been strewn about, and it was obvious something very unpleasant had occurred. Still, there were no bodies to be found. Many of the artifacts considered "sacred" to Paranoia were missing. It's not as severe as it sounds, though. They held more of a spiritual purpose than anything practical. Still, it was far from a morale booster.

The library had fared than I had expected. Some books were obviously missing, a few had been torn to pieces, and there were a couple of places that looked like small fires had broken out somehow. Overall though, the library seemed to contain at least 75% of its original stock in readable forms.

I found the librarian's office after some minorly difficult searching. Saving some pieces of paper on the ground, it seemed to have been untouched. I quickly located the vault in which all of the most sacred books of Paranoia are intended to be kept. The combination was simple.

You see, the lock on the vault holds more of a symbolic purpose than anything else. The librarian, being not-yet-dead, is obviously not a Child and therefore, not even capable of reaching the criteria to become a Priest. The librarian's purpose is, aside from the obvious job of overseeing what goes on in the follower's library, to guard these books. They must never read them. To ever enter the combination into the vault is to spit in Father Paranoia's face.

I took all of the books, with only the intention of reading The Archives. I would hide the others away, so they would not be found if any enemies were to successfully track me down. Before I left, I made a decision that has now greatly confused me. Slightly curious, I picked up the papers on the floor. What I found seems to be either notes made for oneself to read, or some sort of bizarre warning directed towards myself or my colleagues.

I have spent time reading and writing them down. Please excuse any troubles I had properly transcribing it, as the original handwriting was just a tad illegible.

PAGE ZERO - Consists of one largely-written sentence in the middle of the page.

You're In Nothingness.

PAGE ONE

M-1-06

We are fiction. They turn the page, and we tear it back.

Cycles are not meant (something like "imagined")

Tired of playing game

Immaturity mockery it is all insullts(sp)

There are other worlds

Some forgot

1. It is inevitable.
    2. Redemption
    3. We can only count the days.

I love now more than ever because when I love I know that thing(sp) get better.

I can accept the falsities

I can accept the faults

I am by blood Redeemed

i could hold the world in my hands and look at all the violence and all of the hatred and all of the misery and i could revel in that like a child

i could

I don't want to

Not now

Redemption

my eyes go white

PAGE TWO - Which consists of names and numbers; continued ranting

James Donner (34521)

Alberto Marconi (46743)

Andrei Timochenko (98456)

Alex Lynn (33300)

Jeremy Medley (11100)

IT IS(?) HAS BROKEN WHEN THE WAR STARTS ALL WORLDS WILL CROSS ONCE MORE WHAT WAS DIVIDED SHALL BE ADDED TOGETHER ONCE YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT YOU CAN'T JUST CHANGE THINGS LIKE THAT THE JUSTIFICATION WAS NOT (I'm not even going to attempt to guess what this next word is)

But the war has started - battles raging as early as 2008 - time will not matter - he wronged it - battle goes on four(not sure if this is a spelling error) years

THE PATH WILL MEAN NOTHING AND THEY WILL CHANGE IT (underlining was not added by me)

When he dies - everything will go wrong

Yellow Field was fiction

It neighbored similar towns

They all connect

Even to us

PAGE THREE - Which may very well be describing Yellow Field

Half of Gemini He knows he is lost The town lives in the fever dream that borders death He keeps them there. He keeps them close to him Gem kills Gem kills because he wants to know what will happen Because sometimes they come back Sometimes they change Sometimes people forget Gem thinks this to be odd - he is never caught - no one knows - why?

Answer is simple

Gem won't want to hear it Gem won't want to open the door Somebody will open that door

The Sickness Will Escape

Father will even learn to fear it.

Gem can change so much

PAGE FOUR - Consists of one largely-written sentence in the middle of the page
    You Are Not Gods

I have thought about all of this and considered what it all may mean. I leave it to some of you to help decipher. I have to begin reading the relevant portions of The Archives.
    Also, we have a still unsolved puzzle from earlier:
    ilovetofix wrote:
    [23]ф!¥½©¥фߥﺵ!ф¥xΘ¢¥½фΘ¥=~Q¥Θ?ß
    [5]¥=Þ°¥ﺵ!¥~Θ¢¥Θ$Þ¥½!¥ф~ߥÞ$Θ¥ßxÞ¥ß?ﺵ¥~x½
    [8]¥ß!Θ¥Θß$¥~?ߥ?;$Þ°¥!ф¥Θx¢Þx~ÞQÞ¥Θ¢¥x¥x~®¥фΘ¥=~Q¥ß¥xΘ!¥Θ?ß
    [4]ΘQ¥xф½¥½~¥½¥~?ߥ&~¥=Θ¥½ÞΘ¥xΘ$¥Θ¢¥є¥x!ф¥x¥x~®¥ß~
    [19]!ф~ß½Θ©z¥є!Þ¥ö½Þ¥ßф!¥ф=
    [25]!Þ¥$Θ®¥½!Þ¥ßф!¥x¥x~®¥Θ®
    [21]фє¥$ф&¥є¥½ÞΘ¥Θ¢¥=x©¥ф?½¥½¥?~ß
    [5]¥°Þﺵ¥Þ¥ßф!¥xx¥~ß½¥~½¥½¥?~ß
    [20]¥!Þ®¥ф©є¥ß¥Þ?®¥½~¥ß¥Þ?ߥ&~¥ﺵ!~єÞxp¥p¥ΘΘö
    [19]фΘ¥=~Q¥Θ?ߥ!Θ¥Q~ﺵ¥Θ¢¥є¥x!ф¥x¥x~®¥ф©є
    [19]Θ¥°ф;Θ$©½фx@¥?ßф¥ф!
    [12]xÞ¥½~¥ß¥Þ?ß

You are running out of time.

There are thee favorite numbers. It has been ensured that the words I have written fall under each of these numbers.

Things often go two ways.
    Let's get crackin' folks.

Spec_Banner.png
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw some of those videos before, not knowing they were part of an ARG. They freaked me out quite a bit, especially since I watched them at night, while all was quiet.

"If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh. Well, that's interesting. By the way, videos 4 and 5 have been removed from YT.

I'm not much into ARGs, so I'm not really sure what the point always is, or if there is one cohesive goal for all ARGs, generally speaking. But, and this is just based on my limited knowledge of this Wyoming Incident and my obsessive nature about Lost, I think it could possibly be some sort of advertisement used for that, dealing with the Dharma Initiative. I know it's dumb to think that everything mysterious found on the internets/in media deals with lost, but the second video made me realize that the general point of the videos seems to be to fix people, or save them in some way. Plus, the introductory pictures seem reminiscent of the Dharma videos, and the freaky sounds/pictures at the end kind of remind me of something that happened recently this season.

I'm not too sure about the entire thing, but that was just my initial reaction. These things always get me mildly interested, but I can never follow them. I'd like to be able to experience one from start to finish, but yeah. Thanks for the post.

!! ! ! !!
    edited March 2007
    (I broke down part of this into a semi coherent sentance structure.)

Half of Gemini
    He knows he is lost
    The town lives in the fever dream that borders death
    He keeps them there.
    He keeps them close to him
    Gem kills
    Gem kills because he wants to know what will happen
    Because sometimes they come back
    Sometimes they change
    Sometimes people forget
    Gem thinks this to be odd - he is never caught - no one knows - why?

(This almost seems to me to be talking about the Gemini killer. He was never caught. Also the first phrase talks about half of Gemini, from then on it only says Gem, which is half of the word Gemini. Is Gemini trapped in our world and in Yellow Field? This would be why he is split in half.)

Answer is simple

Gem won't want to hear it
    Gem won't want to open the door
    Somebody will open that door

The Sickness Will Escape (Capital letters = Anagram to WEST?)
    Father will even learn to fear it.

Gem can change so much

Edit:
    (Well now, it looks like I have found something else out.)

(You're In Nothingness. = YIN - Page 0 - Beginning)
    (You Are Not Gods. = YANG - Page 4 - Ending)

(This would also seem to go with the Gemini idea. Dark and light. It seems in Gem is the dark half.)

(This begs the question: Where is Ini? Is he in Yellow Field?)

Spec_Banner.png
    edited March 2007
    Kealoha wrote: »
    But, and this is just based on my limited knowledge of this Wyoming Incident and my obsessive nature about Lost, I think it could possibly be some sort of advertisement used for that, dealing with the Dharma Initiative. I know it's dumb to think that everything mysterious found on the internets/in media deals with lost, but the second video made me realize that the general point of the videos seems to be to fix people, or save them in some way. Plus, the introductory pictures seem reminiscent of the Dharma videos, and the freaky sounds/pictures at the end kind of remind me of something that happened recently this season.
    You didn't even glance at the op did you? The story behind the videos isn't in any way tied in to Lost.

Spec_Banner.png
  • Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User
    edited March 2007
    TehSpectre:

I was the one who posted this in the Creepy topic. Those videos are very creepy.

:^: on the topic. I've wanted to make a topic about this. But I wasn't sure just how ontopic it would get.

The SA topic (the old one) was quite enlightening.

logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Hey, has anything else happened?

logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Senor Bambos is a cuntbag.

This sig was too tall - Elki.