As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

too many antivirus?

WormeyWormey Registered User regular
I have been advised that avast free and windows essentials are compatible enough - but I also seem to have spybot teatimer resident - i only want to use spybot as an ad hoc spyware checker, do i need to get rid of resident for this, or should this be compatible with the programs listed above?

• Options
    WormeyWormey Registered User regular
    microsoft security essentials, not windows essential apologies

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    From my personal experience, they are compatible. But they mostly overlap. Since you have Spybot, I'd think you would only need a single virus scanner. MSSE and Avast are largely comparable for effectiveness, so I'd pick one and go with that. If your PC is somewhat slow I'd recommend MSSE as it's less resource intensive than Avast.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    MSE alone is your best bet.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    MSE is sufficient, and I recommend MalwareBytes over SpyBot.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Get MSSE and run MalwareBytes if you suspect some shenanigans. Two antivirus apps just squabble and it's a hassle.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely do not run two passive AVs at a time. MSE alone, and then I would agree with running MBAM when you need it over Spybot. Spybot gave me no end of trouble at my last job.

steam_sig.png