As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jumper 2- Obscenely difficult freeware platforming fun

KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
This came out almost three years ago, but I never ever hear anyone mention it, and I just discovered it recently, so I decided to make a thread about it (if you don't feel like reading my description of the game, just go to the bottom of my post for a download link).

Jumper2 is a very fun, but very difficult, freeware platforming game. You play as this little red cube with limbs and a retarded looking face called Ogmo, who is jumping around to avoid some evil scientist or something (calling the plot forgettable would be overly kind). The controls are pretty simple- you use the left and right arrow keys to move, the down arrow to duck, and the up arrow to jump. There are different techniques involving combinations of these keys, like a wall jump, and a "skid jump," like in the 3D Mario games, but the gameplay mechanics are not very complicated.

HOWEVER

The level design, while really good in my opinion, is just sadistic. You will die a shitload of times on the harder levels, and the game keeps track of how many times you've died, just to depress you (I stopped looking at my stats after I broke 1000 deaths). The stages are short (most can be beaten in under thirty seconds) and the fact that dying never sets you back more than half a minute keeps it from being frustrating. The well designed levels keep the game from feeling "unfair" for the most part- when you die, it's because you fucked up, not because of a failure of controls or an undodgeable attack or whatever.

Each stage has two gems for you to find- a green gem, which is available the first time you try a stage, and a red gem, which is only available after you've beaten the stage and grabbed the green gem. They're always in plain sight, but they can be incredibly difficult to get, because there's typically a harder jumping puzzle in between you and the gem. Getting all the gems is extremely challenging, but it doesn't feel like a tedious collectathon, and acquiring some of the more difficult gems is incredibly satisfying. I'm at level 10-2 now, and I have every green gem so far, and most of the red ones, so it's not impossible.

The only flaw I have with the game is the music. Most of it either blows or is a remix (or direct rip) of another game's music, and the dude who made the game apparently couldn't figure out how to get it to loop nicely, so it restarts in slightly jarring way. To make matters worse, the game usually hiccups when the music restarts, which throws off your timing and often kills you. My advice is to mute the game- the sound effects are still there, but the crappy music is gone, and the deadly hiccuping doesn't occur anymore.

Anyway, here are some screenshots-
damnedgreengemrn6.png

freakinjumpercy1.png

screenj21zj7.png

screenj22so5.png

Download the game here- http://www.helixgamesinc.com/games/JumperTwo.html

You might be wondering if there is a Jumper 1, or if the two in the title is a joke of some sort. Jumper 1 does indeed exist, but it's inferior to the second game in every way: no level design, no gems to find, no option to mute the game, and Ogmo feels overly jittery. It's also really short, and while it's difficult, the game didn't last long for me at all. It can be downloaded at the same site as the second game if you want to play it, but it's not necessary to enjoy Jumper2, and since the second game is so much better I recommend just downloading that instead.

Kaputa on

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While I agree that Jumper 2 improves on the original in every way, I remember enjoying Jumper quite a bit.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    JHunz wrote: »
    While I agree that Jumper 2 improves on the original in every way, I remember enjoying Jumper quite a bit.
    I guess I was overly cruel to it in the OP. On its own, it was a good freeware game, and I had some fun with it. I think I'd have liked it more if I hadn't played the second game first.

Also, the last stage of the first game was really frustrating.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is it harder than N? Is that even possible?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    N isn't really that hard.

Then again I did waste a ton of time just dying over and over because I had a lot of free time at work.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Hmm. It's easier to control Ogmo than the ninja, in my opinion, and you're not timed in the Jumper games. I'd say the jumping puzzles are often worse than N's, though.

Then again, I've only played an hour or two of N, and I didn't reach the later stages, so I can't say for sure.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jumper is definitely harder than N. It relies primarily on absurdly difficult timing and reflexes to make you try each jump again and again and again and again until you can get through the level on muscle memory. It gets old after a while.

Zek on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Hmm. It's easier to control Ogmo than the ninja, in my opinion, and you're not timed in the Jumper games. I'd say the jumping puzzles are often worse than N's, though.

Then again, I've only played an hour or two of N, and I didn't reach the later stages, so I can't say for sure.

But does this game have missiles?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »

But does this game have missiles?
    Well, no. It does have cannons.

The levels with cannons are bullshit, though. They fire intermittently, and you have to use the small, quickly moving cannonballs as things to jump on. They appear rarely, but the cannon is my least favorite Jumper obstacle by far.

Kaputa on