As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Paper Mario ~-*'*-.,.-~ STICKER STAR ~-,.,-*'*-~ IT'S OUT

unintentionalunintentional smellyRegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Social Entropy++
super-paper-mario--20070430023623996_640w.jpg

Paper Mario, also known as "Pap Maru" in some otaku circles, is nintendo's best spin-off series of all time. The games are turn based RPGs with two dimensional characters in a three dimensional world. They play with this idea in a lot of fun ways, like turning Mario into a paper airplane to cross a big gap, or turning sideways to slip through jail bars.
So far, there have been:

300px-Papermario.PNG
A REALLY GOOD N64 GAME

250px-PMTTYD.jpg
THE SINGLE BEST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME
It's a video game version of a play about an adventure mario had and all the props are really papery. Whenever you go into combat you end up on stage and there's an audience cheering you on! If you do stylish things they fill up your super meter and you can use better moves. The alternative involves rotten tomatoes being thrown at you and no one likes that.
Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28AbBJlQ00w

And then a few years later a new game came out with a new twist.
250px-Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg
IT'S SOME WEIRD PLATFORMER GAME THEY THREW ON THE WII THAT WASN'T AS GOOD AS THE OTHER TWO BUT HAD SOME NEAT PUZZLES AND REALLY DUMB VILLAINS

And now, presenting the one, the only

PAPER MARIO STICKER STAR
250px-Paper_mario_sticker_star_box-art.png
A return to form, turn based tactics and quirky puzzles. I'm going in mostly blind so I don't have all that much to say about it!
People are telling me it's going to be a new kind of system, no sidekicks, consumable attacks that you find all over the world, no actual character progression through traditional Leveling mechanics. Sounds neat!

The game will launch on the Nintendo E-Shop in North America in at 11:00PM central time (it's 9:20 at the time of this post) and requires between 4000-5000 blocks of SD card space.

This is The Game that got a lot of people (myself included) to buy a 3DS. Who's hype??

unintentional on

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I don't know if you can really call it a "return to form" considering it isn't an RPG really (at least not in the vein of first two)

I'll probably pick it up sometime but not until christmas or maybe a bit after.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    isn't it? i thought it was

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    it doesn't have all the levels and stuff so it's not technically an RPG, but who the fuck cares I'm excited for this and want to download it

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I loved the original Paper Mario, never played Thousand Year Door (the travesty, I know!), and was really disappointed in the Wii one. Probably skipping the 3DS one without the RPG elements.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    Not that I've read, but I haven't actually played it firsthand so who knows for sure

They got rid of sidekicks and there isn't really much dialogue I've read also!

I was really excited for this originally and I'm sure it's still good fun but I'm a bit bummed it isn't the sequel to the first two that I thought it was.

UmPiq.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    no levels, no partners, no badges

NO THANKS

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    where does super mario rpg fit into this family tree

xet8c.gif

right in between ocarina of time and oracle of seasons

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Just fucking make another super Mario rpg

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    slash TTYD

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    no levels, no partners, no badges

NO MERCY

It's the new tagline

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    I'm not too worried about the lack of levelling. In the previous games, levelling was mostly just a way of getting more badge points so you could use more badges, and the real advancement came from badge collection. Now they've replaced badge collection with sticker collection, which at least has the potential to be just as much fun.

Lack of sidekicks is disappointing but as long as there are other memorable characters I'll forgive it.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I really like the idea of being able to buy full retail games right off the internet

never having to worry about whether a store has something in stock is awesome

but at the same time something makes me feel weird about paying 40 dollars and not getting a physical product

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Gary your OP is beautiful.

That is all.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Also, if nothing else I think the release of Sticker Star is going to compel me to replay TTYD, so even if the game itself sucks it'll be worth it.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lack of sidekicks is to me the most annoying thing about this and super paper Mario.
    I like the sticker system. You level up by getting more pages thus more attacks.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I'm not too worried about the lack of levelling. In the previous games, levelling was mostly just a way of getting more badge points so you could use more badges, and the real advancement came from badge collection. Now they've replaced badge collection with sticker collection, which at least has the potential to be just as much fun.

Lack of sidekicks is disappointing but as long as there are other memorable characters I'll forgive it.

as memorable as you can be without any actual dialogue i guess

unless the reviews i've read are overblowing that part

UmPiq.png
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about sticker attacks

reminds me of superstar saga 2, where you had to use items to do bros attacks

I didn't like that at all

unless stickers don't work like that

I don't know if they do or not

sounds like sticker are consumable, yeah

UmPiq.png
    bleh

exist wrote: »

as memorable as you can be without any actual dialogue i guess

unless the reviews i've read are overblowing that part

I only read a couple of reviews, but they both said good things about the writing, so I'm assuming there's a reasonable amount of dialogue. But if the reviews you read said differently then I guess we'll just have to find out. Because honestly, I would probably buy this game no matter what the reviews said.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I assumed some story related ones were but others were permanent as long as you have room.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    no partners :(

also i loved super paper mario fuck the haters

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    damn it I want a 3DS

whhhhy

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    all your attack moves are consumable from what I've read, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I kind of like it because I hate managing SP/mana/whatever in games, but at the same time I am also the guy who stockpiles items in games to the nearest 10/50/100 and refuses to use them unless he absolutely has to.

that alone might keep me from the game

haaaaaaate consumable attacks

Also apparently you can spend coins to make your attacks stronger or something. So basically the game is all inventory management.

reviews I've read say that you find them pretty much everywhere, so there's never a shortage of them. It sounds like you probably don't run out unless you just never buy attacks/moves ever.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The alternative involves rotten tomatoes being thrown at you and no one likes that.

Speak for yourself.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Also apparently you can spend coins to make your attacks stronger or something. So basically the game is all inventory management.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(that's kind of cool)aaaaaaaaa
    reviews I've read say that you find them pretty much everywhere, so there's never a shortage of them. It sounds like you probably don't run out unless you just never buy attacks/moves ever.

It's not running out that bothers me

even if I have 99 of everything I just don't like using up finite resources for attacks

healing items, whatever

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I just want nintendo to make a 3DS rerelease of Superstar Saga

is that too much to ask

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    I was excited for this not having read any of the media following it
    Now I learn there is no leveling or partners and little traditional hilarious Mario dialogue
    Eff that noise

downloadin'

downloadin'

This is my first attempt to download a game on my 3DS. As usual for Nintendo online functionality, the interface is obscure and confusing. For some reason Paper Mario isn't in the new releases section. And why do they insist on measuring storage requirements in "blocks"? Are they worried that a big word like "megabytes" would confuse people? But I seem to have successfully started the download. No progress bar, though. Dammit, Nintendo, learn how to internet!

This is my first attempt to download a game on my 3DS. As usual for Nintendo online functionality, the interface is obscure and confusing. For some reason Paper Mario isn't in the new releases section. And why do they insist on measuring storage requirements in "blocks"? Are they worried that a big word like "megabytes" would confuse people? But I seem to have successfully started the download. No progress bar, though. Dammit, Nintendo, learn how to internet!

progress bar is the orange box filling up from the bottom up with slightly oranger colour

and yeah i think it's like 14k blocks in the 2gb sd card that the thing came with
    this one was 4k, layton was 6k

i'll probably get a 32gb one sometime between this game coming out and the next 3ds game i want to download

progress bar is the orange box filling up from the bottom up with slightly oranger colour

I see no colour differentiation, so either my download speed sucks or my colour blindness is acting up again.

:(

i have pretty bad wifi and it's about 40 minutes to download a game
    just give it time i guess

i agree that they could have a way way better UI

This game has excellent music and pretty good dialogue and uses the 3D really well. This is my "I've been playing for 15 minutes" review.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    About a month or so ago, someone at work was getting rid of all their old video games. The first Paper Mario was among the ones I snagged.

Still have to bring it around to my folks place, where I set up my n64 for my nieces.

jnij103vqi2i.png