As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic.

You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.

Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.

Don't Starve is a game being created by Klei Entertainment, the company behind Shank, Shank 2, and Mark of the Ninja. Their art remains amazing, while this time, the gameplay goes in a completely different direction.

You begin the game playing as Wilson, a man abandoned in the middle of nowhere, told only that you had better get something to eat before it gets dark.

From there, you're on your own.

You must forage and hunt for everything except water. Food is the most important, but light is nearly as valuable, as the (not)grue lurks in the darkness, waiting to devour you whole should you let the fire go out.

You will die. Probably many times. However, there is a bright side! As you feed your valuable resources to the Science Machine in the name of..well, science, you'll unlock new tools, and these discoveries will carry over from one game to the next.

Beyond the new toys, as you play you'll also unlock new characters to play as, who have slightly different ablities, and can be switched between later in the game.

The game is currently priced at $11.99 on Steam, which will get you two copies, and access to the beta.

Said beta is currently being updated every other Tuesday.

You can find the demo on chrome here.

Most Recent Patch Changes (Nov 13th):
New features:
Character differences! Now it matters who you pick!
Pond fishing
Hammer time - use the hammer to break apart structures
Build and deploy preview interface to help you place things carefully
New lighting equation, for more nighttime fun
For steam: Chrome save/profile import

New stuff:
A new bird type, and regional bird variation
New hats: Feather and Miner
Some new cooking recipes to discover (5 of them!)
The Gobbler...

Tuning and Bug fixes:
Graves don't reset when you load
Never-closing chest now closes
Crafting interface doesn't close automatically when you build something
RMB drops deployables
Gold doesn't always drop from rocks
Fire now hurts you if you stand too close!
Max stack size is a little smaller (sorry!)

NEW PLAYER TIPS
Behind spoilers, in case you want to tough it out.
1. Build the Research Machine as soon as you can. Feed items to it to gain Research points to unlock new things to craft.
1.a. Gold is probably the biggest point value during the early game, and since you're likely going to die before you can use it for anything else, go ahead.

2. Build a Fire Pit as soon as possible. It stays around and you can restart your fire with just a single log from then on.

3. Kite monsters. Most of them attack slowly, so as long as you don't mis-click, you can take on packs of spiders with just an axe if you have to.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, this is my first OP in G&T.. so, don't judge me too harshly. :P I'll try to spruce it up a bit later, but for now I've got a babysitter and a dinner date with my wife for our 1st Anniversary.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    This OP is horrible because it makes me want to buy this game.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's FTL in a forest!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    So the Chrome demo doesn't work. Is there any reason why they couldn't have just put a proper demo up on Steam?

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm playing the chrome demo, and now I'm really looking forward to when I'll have the money to buy it.

One thing I gotta ask. How do you gain research points or whatever to be able to make new things? I haven't figured that out yet.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This game is great, btw.

@heenato:
    Feed items to the research machine (which you must build first).

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Ah. Alright, thanks. And another question for the chrome demo.

How do I get it into fullscreen? I don't see an options menu, and the game is just too large for my monitor.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Is there a lot of crafting in this game? Like can you fortify and survive so long as you've built a good little fortress, or is it more survive until you die?

I've never played either game, but from what I know of them..is this more Day Z or Minecraft? The beta downloads and updates via steam right?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Just played the demo. I had no idea that there was even a timer because I was so into the game, and it came as an angry shock when it ran out suddenly.

Will DEFINITELY be buying this on payday.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Is there a lot of crafting in this game? Like can you fortify and survive so long as you've built a good little fortress, or is it more survive until you die?

I've never played either game, but from what I know of them..is this more Day Z or Minecraft? The beta downloads and updates via steam right?

Yes, if you manage the early game you can get to the point where you can survive indefinitely.

There seems to be quite a bit of feedback on the forum for more threats in the endgame.

There is a new monster being added in the next update, so that might be for that.

• Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    Reposting from the Steam thread since it's relevant here:

signature.png

Open to the P&A G&T Adventure Team only!

• Options
    This thread made me buy the game when I should be saving my pennies for vastly more important things.

So if this game is not awesome, I will come back to this thread and do terrible things do your bodies.

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    Payday cant come soon enough...

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    datac0re wrote: »
    Open to the P&A G&T Adventure Team only!

So... Throw me a invite? :P

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    This game is SO awesome. It's like Edward Gorey's Harvest Moon.

So far I've lasted 4 days max; I died because I couldn't get the torch I was holding into my hand fast enough when my inventory was full. Also, didn't know I could feed things to the Research Machine.
    I also slaughtered a pig in his pig house and ate him.

• Options
    I discovered rabbit hunting, and I think I went to a dark place. When I got my senses back there was nothing but corpses and meat as far as the eye could see.

• Options
    Added a short New Player Tips bit to the end of the OP. If you guys have anything to add, just let me know.

Also, @Buttcleft were you hunting them, as in, trapping them? Or did you find an effective way to actually kill them? Whenever I get close, they run away.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Added a short New Player Tips bit to the end of the OP. If you guys have anything to add, just let me know.

Also, @Buttcleft were you hunting them, as in, trapping them? Or did you find an effective way to actually kill them? Whenever I get close, they run away.

I just come at them from the direction of the hole that they'll run towards and I usually chop their little bunny head off right as they get there.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    "Take that, Nature!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Considering getting this. It sounds like my kind of game. Question though. In your tips what do you mean kite monsters?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Considering getting this. It sounds like my kind of game. Question though. In your tips what do you mean kite monsters?

Kiting is a phrase used in MMOs and RTSs. Its where you basically run away, get them to chase you, attack once, then continue to run before they can attack back.

• Options
    VivaVizerVivaVizer Registered User regular
    So I unlocked Willow...and I don't see the point of her.

I guess she might be considered hard mode since the only difference that I can see is that she can't shave. Or... at least, I don't think she can...

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The next patch is supposed to make the characters seem like different entities rather than just reskins.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    This game is pretty awesome right now, and with the constant patch cycle should just keep getting better.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    VivaVizer wrote: »
    So I unlocked Willow...and I don't see the point of her.

I guess she might be considered hard mode since the only difference that I can see is that she can't shave. Or... at least, I don't think she can...

Right now that's the only difference. As of Tuesday, Willow will have the added ability that, if you leave her alone in the dark, she'll randomly start fires. So, she'll basically be immune to death in the darkness. However, you can also start a forest fire, and in a future update, even your camp can burn down.

• Options
    Huh. That sounds really interesting. Well, hopefully I'll be in a position to get the game tommorow, Then I'll be able to play without a 15 minute time limit.

Still haven't figured out how to fullscreen it. Did realize I could resize the window at least.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    OK I never thought I'd be saying this, but

Why the FUCK can't I find any manure?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does buying now get you an extra copy of the beta too? Or is that just for 1?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    anoffday wrote: »
    Does buying now get you an extra copy of the beta too? Or is that just for 1?

The person you gift the 2nd copy to gets access to the beta, yes.

OK I never thought I'd be saying this, but

Why the FUCK can't I find any manure?

You need to find Beefalos.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    So I found with the shovel I can dig up grass and bushes and then replant them wherever I want. Now I have a weird compulsion to organize the entire first island I'm on before exploring further.

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    So I found with the shovel I can dig up grass and bushes and then replant them wherever I want. Now I have a weird compulsion to organize the entire first island I'm on before exploring further.

Its a really good idea to at least bring the berry bushes to your camp. Grass too, really. You can also dig up saplings. And if you dig up the stump of a tree you chopped down, it gives you another log.

Just be search to pick whatever you want from the object before you did it up. If you dig up a bush with berries on it, when you replant it, the berries will be gone. Same for the grass/saplings.

• Options
    Yeah, I've got 2 berry bushes at my camp so far. Eventually, I'll be able to stop beheading rabbits with my shovel.
    I'll still do it, but I'd be able to stop if I had any such inclination.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    VivaVizerVivaVizer Registered User regular
    Oh...so that's what the shovel was for...

I kept trying to use it to dig rabbits out of their holes...and on graves.

Also, can't you get manure by feeding the pigs? Or was that changed?

• Options
    edited November 2012

"First island"?

You can build boats?

Oh my god I need this game so much.

...Anyone want to trade for a Planetside 2 beta key? :P

edit: (just kidding I have like 5 of them up for grabs)

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

"First island"?

You can build boats?

Oh my god I need this game so much.

...Anyone want to trade for a Planetside 2 beta key? :P

(just kidding I have like 5 of them up for grabs)

No boats as far as i know, but there is a long bridge between an island where i first started and another hunk of land i havent explored yet.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

Digging rabbits out of their holes to force them into a trap is a decent way to get meat early on. Can be a little tough to aim it just right so they actually hit the trap though.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »

Digging rabbits out of their holes to force them into a trap is a decent way to get meat early on. Can be a little tough to aim it just right so they actually hit the trap though.

And anyway, it's easier to just
    1. Find a rabbit who only has one viable hole to hide in
    2. Stand on the other side of the hole from him, far enough way that you don't scare him
    3. Click on him once with some sort of tool in your hand

You'll run towards him for one attack (which is all it takes, of course). By the time he gets spooked, you'll usually be close enough that you'll meet him at the hole and behead/impale/crush him before he can hide.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Just tried the demo, this game seems pretty neat. Does it get pretty complicated?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Knowledge so far:
    Axe beats tree
    Treeguard beats me

Richard on
  • Options
    I haven't even found the pigs yet. I'm always too focused on building up my camp and just surviving. But finding them on my map would definitely alleviate my food concerns.