As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Every day I see new posts in the thread and hope that Don't Starve Together is out. You guys are responsible for creating bipolar disorder in me.

You and me both. I've actually started playing this again since the activity in this thread grabbed my interest (and there's fuck all else coming out on PC right now). I remember now why I stopped playing my current game on day 91; I'm not really in a bad situation, but I am in a slightly precarious one. I still haven't found the clockwork biome, I don't have any way to resurrect myself if I should die, and there is a spider-infested choke-point between me and the parts of the map I haven't explored yet. So I'm ok for now, but if I die I lose 90+ days of progress.

No pressure!

50 traps and lots of patience to get rid of the spiders

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Every day I see new posts in the thread and hope that Don't Starve Together is out. You guys are responsible for creating bipolar disorder in me.

You and me both. I've actually started playing this again since the activity in this thread grabbed my interest (and there's fuck all else coming out on PC right now). I remember now why I stopped playing my current game on day 91; I'm not really in a bad situation, but I am in a slightly precarious one. I still haven't found the clockwork biome, I don't have any way to resurrect myself if I should die, and there is a spider-infested choke-point between me and the parts of the map I haven't explored yet. So I'm ok for now, but if I die I lose 90+ days of progress.

No pressure!

Patience, ten times ten. Rashness and anxiety will be your downfall, don't force things against your better judgment.

A great and corrupting knowledge lies herein if you don't mind "cheating." Don't look if you don't want to resort to this.
    Alt+F4 scrubs the game and you can resume at your last auto-save.

But for more legit considerations:
    Don't pick fights if you don't have to. You can outrun spider hell, especially if you have armor. Just thread your way through. Spiders are easy to lose if you just keep moving.
    There are more technological security blankets you can strap on, but those are more time-consuming and involved and really depend on your individual circumstance. Honestly, armor is easiest, because that's just wood and grass to make.

There's no reason to purge the spider hell just yet. Queens may spawn, but it's not going to get much worse than it already is. Eventually you can make your way back around and do a little careful engineering with fire, but there's no special rush.

I also don't know why clockwork biomes should matter. Gears, I guess? You can luck into those from digging graves if you don't mind the sanity cost. Ice boxes are nice, but you can do without for a time. (Even if you're stuck with the unpleasantness of RoG summer.)

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    spider fuckworld is usually pretty easy to clear up if you have access to a good supply of grass. trap, murder, repeat.

• Options
    bring some pig friends :)

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    also easier to get pig friends if you have already done a little trap murder repeat because you'll have more monster meat than you can reasonably use for anything p fast

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm looking at the features list on Reign of Giants wiki page, and really wondering why I'd want to pay money to put more things that will murder me horribly into the game.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm looking at the features list on Reign of Giants wiki page, and really wondering why I'd want to pay money to put more things that will murder me horribly into the game.

So you don't starve.

Richard on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's kinda a DLC for those who have played the game a hell of a lot, and want more from it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    A typical day in the life of Wilson:
    r1l9p1ecbccp.jpg

Note that he is simultaneously being chased by hounds and freezing to death. I was fine, but it was a close call!

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    At some point, somewhere, the game clicked for me. My previous record was like, day 36, and on my last playthrough I made it to 104. Then I somehow forgot I didn't have a meat effigy at camp and decided it was a good day to put on a log suit and fight some tallbirds.

Oh well. Now it's day seven and I've already explored a ton of the map, set up camp, slapped together a crock pot and built eight pig houses nearby for protection. It's on, Don't Starve!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    r1l9p1ecbccp.jpg

Note that he is simultaneously being chased by hounds and freezing to death. I was fine, but it was a close call!

the secret to hounds is lead them to the beefallo

• Options
    r1l9p1ecbccp.jpg

the secret to hounds is lead them to the beefallo

Or pigmen. 'Course there's no telling where a pig man is gonna' take the fight - gul-durned red hounds burned down my sapling farm!

• Options
    The Beefallo were too far considering I was freezing to death. I ran through some Pengulls which drew some of them off, the rest were handily dealt with by my tooth traps and bee mines. I love bee mines.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Some day I will beat adventure mode.

Some day.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Some day I will beat adventure mode.

Some day.
    '
    annotated: "but today is not that day..."

ugh, I have come close a few times but that damn dark mode arghlebargle

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    So beta keys for Don't Starve Together are being randomly sent to those that had signed up?
    A friend of mine really, really loves Don't Starve, but he's yet to receive a beta key for Together.

Would anyone happen to have a spare one laying around and feel like making a strangers day?

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I beat adventure mode. I'm a pretty big deal.

I'm not saying there weren't some pretty cheesy goings on though.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What's the difference between Adventure Mode and regular 'ol sandbox mode?

Does adventure mode put you into a dungeon or something?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

adventure mode has a bunch of different scenarios with the ultimate goal of getting to maxwell.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Okay, I know that learning by exploring is the whole point of this game, but is there no kind of manual or tutorial at all or am I just blind? Just like explaining the basic controls and concepts behind some of the mechanics and icons would be nice.

And I'm well aware that there are hundreds of guides out there on the web, but I'd like to avoid spoilers for things that are meant to be discovered yourself.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Nope. No tutorial.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Okay, I know that learning by exploring is the whole point of this game, but is there no kind of manual or tutorial at all or am I just blind? Just like explaining the basic controls and concepts behind some of the mechanics and icons would be nice.

And I'm well aware that there are hundreds of guides out there on the web, but I'd like to avoid spoilers for things that are meant to be discovered yourself.

My understanding (and enjoyment) of the game kinda' ballooned when I was killed by an eyeball plant and was like "okay, I just lost 30 days of progress, I want to know WTF an eyeball plant is right now," and googled it. Then I found the Wiki. Now I have a lot of fun in Don't Starve.

The way I figure, if I know enough about something to ask a question about it, it's not cheating. A big part of the joy of the game is figuring it out for yourself and making your own plans, each day, for how to survive... but if you want some beginner's advice...:

TO START:
    1. At the beginning of the game, stroll about, collecting a few berries, carrots, twigs, grass, flint and (make axe) logs. You can do this as you find your way to a map edge (get to the sea). Then, follow that edge, grabbing any edibles you can along the way to fuel your journey. Follow and follow the edge of the map for days upon days, fleshing out the world.
    2. If you come across a swampy biome, go into it and make sure you come out with eight reeds.
    3. In your travels, you may come across some gold. Slap together a science machine, make a backpack, a hammer and spear, and keep on truckin'. You may wish to break down the science machine to keep that piece of gold - you're going to need it later.
    4. If you come across a rocky biome, try to leave with fourteen pieces of gold.
    5. As you explore, if you find any pig man houses, break them down. Same with pig heads on poles. The part you really, desperately want are the pig hides, but the cut stones and boards are handy, if you have the space.
    6. There are two things you desperately need to survive : a grasslands biome with a decent beefalo herd, a meadow biome with bees and berry bushes and such.
    7. Before you set up camp, make sure you know where you can go to gather ore (rocky biome), wood (thick forest biome) and spiders.
    8. I tend to set up my camp on the edge of a grasslands biome, so the beefalo are nearby. Beefalo are your best defense against hound attacks (pig-men will aggro hounds on sight, but pig-men are only active during daylight hours. Beefalo will not aggro hounds on sight, but if you lead a hound to their herd, the hounds will momentarily lose interest in you, bite a beefalo, and get killed for it).

TO LIVE:
    1. Create your camp. You will absolutely need a fire pit, a science machine and an alchemy engine (that's eight of the fourteen gold you grabbed earlier).
    2. Learn how to farm spiders. You farm spiders like this: make two grass traps, walk up to a spider's nest and wait for the one (or two, or three) spiders to come out. Walk backwards in a line, away from the nest after they aggro you, dropping one less trap than there are spiders, with a bit of space between them (for 3 spiders, drop 2 traps). Whack the spider who doesn't get trapped with your axe/spear - you can stunlock a single spider and take no damage. Pick up the goodies and repeat.
    3. Once a spider colony gets to tier 3 (kinda' looks like a three-scoop of ice cream), destroy it. You'll get a ton of silk and a spider egg that you can then place wherever you want - hopefully not a two-day walk from your base camp. The reason you're killing all these spiders is to...
    4. Make a Beekeeper's hat and some Bug Nets. It's also helpful to have a log suit. Go capture sixteen bees. Then go destroy four bee hives (run up to the hive, beat it with a spear until it falls apart, run from the bees, come back, collect honey & honeycomb). Obviously, more be boxes = more honey. I advise spacing them about a half a screen apart, to make collection less hazardous (trust me).
    5. Use the sixteen bees and four honeycombs to create four bee boxes. Honey spoils significantly slower than any other food in the game, as it consists almost entirely of sugar, and can be used as a buffer in many crock pot recipes. Note: you can catch butterflies with your bug net, and plant them around your bee boxes to increase the rate of honey production.
    6. Make regular trips into the grasslands and get all the beefalo dung you can find. Create four advanced farms. Drop seeds in, and wait. Food will come in about a day.
    7. Create coal (burn down trees, whack burnt tree once = coal, and maybe a pine cone). Coal is the best campfire fuel in the game, and necessary to
    8. Create two crock pots.

TO THRIVE
    1. Create a tent. Tents are massively important. They refill about 50% of your HP and sanity, at the cost of about 50% of your hunger. If you've set yourself up well for food, that's not an issue. Tents have limited use, so don't use them just to fast-forward time.
    2. Build a razor. If your beard gets to full length in summer, shave it off and keep the hair. You can also approach beefalo at night and shave them, to obtain beefalo wool without killing one.
    3. Build a shovel. From now on, wherever you go with berries, dig up those berries and hang on to them.
    4. From now on, wherever you go with saplings, dig up those saplings and hang on to them.
    5. Plant the berries and saplings a half-day's journey from your camp. You don't want a red hound's death burning them down! You must fertilize the berries with beefalo dung or rot, or else they will never produce another berry.
    6. Use all the pig hides you gathered from hammering pig houses to create your own pig town, near your camp. Not too near. Pig men are not always allies...
    7. Use the pine cones you've gathered to plant a tree farm. You can either burn down your trees for easy charcoal, or cut them for convenient wood (a large supply of wood for boards is best gathered in a thick forest biome).
    8. Use the eight reeds to craft two papyruses. Combine that with the remaining six gold to create a bird cage.
    9. Trap a bird (make a bird trap, drop it, bait it with seeds), collect the bird, imprison it in the cage. Go farm spiders. Get a ton of monster meat (ideally, 16).
    10. Cook the monster meat over the fire, and feed it to the bird. The brid will shit out a brand new, beautiful egg for each piece of cooked monster meat, which is perfectly healthy to eat (ideally, you can then hunt a Koalephant or kill two beefalo, kill eight rabbits for eight morsels, and then cook up a batch of eight bacon & eggs (1 meat, 1 morsel, 2 eggs). Such a bounty would fuel your sojourns to unexplored areas of the map.
    11. If you've located the clockwork biome, go back there with a log suit and football helmet on and kill every thing in that place. Collect the gears - don't miss any!
    12. Go home and use those gears to make refridgerators.
    13. The beefalo wool and silk will keep you warm, the spiders and honey will keep you fed. Live! Liiiiive!

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    heenato wrote: »

adventure mode has a bunch of different scenarios with the ultimate goal of getting to maxwell.

Maxwell: Functionally has infinite sanity is but frail

I mean, not that sanity is actually an issue after a certain skill level but it's novel enough not having to watch your sanity or care about silk.
    If magic were actually more useful, Maxwell would be godmode, but it's not.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    heenato wrote: »

Maxwell: Functionally has infinite sanity is but frail

I mean, not that sanity is actually an issue after a certain skill level but it's novel enough not having to watch your sanity or care about silk.
    If magic were actually more useful, Maxwell would be godmode, but it's not.

There are still situations where sanity very much does matter. When fighting a Deerclops for example I found myself quite capable of kiting him, but his insanity aura brought me from full sanity to bugs-are-everywhere in like a minute.

I'm very much looking forward to multiplayer. Is anyone here in the beta?

Vic on
  • Options
    Silk top hat is actually a good substitute for a tent. It's just eight silk and you tend to have a surplus from ranching spiders.
    I consider Wickerbottom one of the best characters because her inability to sleep isn't actually a drawback. Clothing and food will keep your sanity high on its own.

I rate the Crock Pot + Birdcage at a higher priority than Bee Boxes.
    Bee boxes are nice, but I'd rather build arrays of Drying Racks first.

• Options
    but you absolutely want bees before winter

honey is easy mode

• Options
    CARNIVORE4LYFE

• Options
    Honey bits are like the more efficient food in the game

2 small jerky 1 monster meat and 1 honey and you have a meal that like fills 1/4 of your hunger meter

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Honey bits are like the more efficient food in the game

2 small jerky 1 monster meat and 1 honey and you have a meal that like fills 1/4 of your hunger meter

In seriousness, I find just regular Crockpot gives me an excessive amount of food all on its own.
    Bacon and Eggs is lower tech and only a little harder to obtain. It restores the same as Honey Ham.

It really depends on the start, but there are a lot of times when getting bees can easily be more than a day's travel and it's a fairly time-consuming activity. (Build hat, kite around, get lots of planks, plant flowers . . .)
    Just killing a Koalefant/Beefalo sets you up for a long long time. Which you will because they've got winterization drops.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Bacon and Eggs is worth the investment, I found.
    (1) Hunt Koalaphant, get 8 meat.
    (2) Gather 16 monster meats from spiders (glands + silk = bonus!), turn monster meat into eggs.
    (3) Murder 8 rabbits
    2 eggs + 1 morsel + 1 meat= 8 Bacon and Eggs, more than enough to safely fuel a long journey mid-winter to unexplored sections of the map, or to hard-to-reach biome. It's worth 50% of your hunger meter.

In fact, I think you can make it with 2 eggs + 1 morsel + 1 monster meat, too - don't even need to burn time on a Koalephant hunt.

Good times.

• Options
    Chance wrote: »
    In fact, I think you can make it with 2 eggs + 1 morsel + 1 monster meat, too - don't even need to burn time on a Koalephant hunt.

Wiki says, "yes."
    For some reason I remember it requiring Meat.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I skimmed this thread and you monsters got me back in. I was doing pretty good and was almost through winter. Went on my second Koalephant hunt that season and then I started to hear something in the wind.....have you ever had that point where you said fuck it and wanted to see the whole world burn?
    ?.jpeg

• Options
    That reminds me - is there a reliable method for takin' down Deerclops that doesn't require the use of beefalo or pigs?

• Options
    That reminds me - is there a reliable method for takin' down Deerclops that doesn't require the use of beefalo or pigs?

Well, there is one strategy that works against basically all of the giants. Make a pile of gunpowder, then put the monster to sleep (with the flute or sleeping darts) and place enough of it to almost but not quite kill them (to avoid destroying their loot). Poke, dead.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The giants are the worst thing they ever added to the game. It's some serious "welp, I guess I'm fucked" bullshit.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

Well, there is one strategy that works against basically all of the giants. Make a pile of gunpowder, then put the monster to sleep (with the flute or sleeping darts) and place enough of it to almost but not quite kill them (to avoid destroying their loot). Poke, dead.

Hmmm I think I can manage that...

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The giants are the worst thing they ever added to the game. It's some serious "welp, I guess I'm fucked" bullshit.

I can appreciate what they were going for by having 'Boss' monsters, but there have been too many times where one has rolled through and wrecked my shit completely when I found a sweet cache of resources or got a solid main base going.

And panic rooms are useless against giants and that makes me sad because I enjoy using panic/trap rooms.

• Options
    Old Bell for Reign of Giants + Ice Staff

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

I wish this wasn't true, but it is.

The giants would have been cool as optional bosses that you could choose to summon. Their current implementation just make them into bullshit game enders if you are not prepared.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I think there are some great new mechanics in RoG though and despite my better judgement, I find myself using the custom world generation options quite a fair bit. It does make the game a bit easier when I'm not really in the mood for getting ground into paste.

I do however love full moons and the constant light for shaving beefalo as well as turning all flowers into evil flowers, that's some good shit right there.