As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Random "Slow-motion"

Hey y'all!

Basically: Everything running on my PC will go and stay in slow-motion mode at random intervals. I have no idea what causes it - I've checked numerous times what programs were running at the time it happened and tested each of them but without luck. CPU usage seems normal at around 0-5% when I'm only using Firefox. Memory usage is at 1.35GB - the same as it is when everything's running normal.

What really drives me nuts is that when I run games when it's like this, they don't lag - they run at 60 FPS but in slow motion. The same goes for opening/closing windows on the desktop and everything else.

I reinstalled my PC a few weeks ago because of this but to no effect. I also tried using SpyBot and AVG antivir but it didn't help.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

steam_sig.png
Steam ID: 76561198021298113
Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Does sound continue as normal?

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Does sound continue as normal?

I usually just restart which fixes it immideatly so I'm not sure, but I'd say yes.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm not very tech minded but it could be either the monitor or processor. Sounds more like a monitor problem so I'd try a different one,if you have one to hand.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    What are your computer's specs?

A few possible culprits:

ATI graphics card drivers
    Faulty PSU or laptop battery
    Your motherboard's battery may be dying

Smasher on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Laptops used to do this in games when the CPU was being downclocked due to overheating. Dell Inspiron 5150s, which had insane heating issues, would do it in such a matter that felt remarkably like slow motion in games, and then return to normal when temperatures declined.

Is there anything that would cause your CPU to downclock? That's rather rare in desktops.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Smasher wrote: »
    What are your computer's specs?

A few possible culprits:

ATI graphics card drivers
    Faulty PSU or laptop battery
    Your motherboard's battery may be dying

Specs:

Core i5 2500k
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
    8 GB RAM
    Motherboard: Asus Z68 Pro3
    450W Power Supply
    500GB Hard Drive

The only components that are older than about a year are the power supply and the hard drive.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Laptops used to do this in games when the CPU was being downclocked due to overheating. Dell Inspiron 5150s, which had insane heating issues, would do it in such a matter that felt remarkably like slow motion in games, and then return to normal when temperatures declined.

Is there anything that would cause your CPU to downclock? That's rather rare in desktops.

I don't think it's overheating due to being completely random. Sometimes it's there after I start the PC up despite not having used it in a long time, other times it doesn't happen even though I'm playing resource intensive games like Crysis 2 for longer times.

Also, restarting it always fixes it, and it takes me less than a minute to completely restart.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    If you are running windows 7 use the resource monitor application to see if there are any spikes in cpu, disk, or memory usage during the lag.

• Options
    Sorry, I wasn't able to get any new data lately as the problem only occured today again. Here's some screens from the Win7 resource monitor:

CPU:

5b6877uc.png

RAM:

otnzii2x.png

Hard Drive:

lwkisoeo.png

The only program I used beforehand was Mozilla Firefox, and I closed it before taking the screens.

The slowdown was present from the moment I logged on.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Next time it happens watch your computer's clock and see what's happening there. Most programs use the system clock to determine when it's time for them to draw the next frame or whatever, and if the clock is running slow that could cause everything that depends on it to also run slowly. If that's the case you'll probably want to replace your CMOS battery.

If that doesn't work or seem to be the problem, even though you don't have an ATI try rolling back your graphics driver anyway.

When did this problem originally start occurring? I don't suppose you remember making any changes to your computer shortly before then?

• Options
    Next time it happens watch your computer's clock and see what's happening there. Most programs use the system clock to determine when it's time for them to draw the next frame or whatever, and if the clock is running slow that could cause everything that depends on it to also run slowly. If that's the case you'll probably want to replace your CMOS battery.

If that doesn't work or seem to be the problem, even though you don't have an ATI try rolling back your graphics driver anyway.

When did this problem originally start occurring? I don't suppose you remember making any changes to your computer shortly before then?

Sadly I don't recall if I did anything back when the problem started. What I can say for sure is that I didn't do anything to the hardware - it's the same as when I built the PC last christmas.

Also, where do I check the system clock?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Just watch the clock on your desktop when it runs slow and see if it keeps real time or if it's falling behind. If it's fallen behind the real time significantly (even when it's running normally) that's likely the problem.

• Options
    Just watch the clock on your desktop when it runs slow and see if it keeps real time or if it's falling behind. If it's fallen behind the real time significantly (even when it's running normally) that's likely the problem.

Gotcha!

Now, the waiting game begins again...

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I had a friend who had similar problems, except his newly build PC always ran slowmo - the same way you descriped - after booting Windows. No mucking around with drivers, BIOS setting or swapping GPU and RAM could solve it. He fixed it by disassembling and reassembling the PC.

Dratatoo on