As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boy, I sure showed THAT computer game

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
One of the satisfying perks of being a PC gamer or, to a lesser degree, a Mac gamer is being able to play the bulk of your old games on your current OS. Got a DOS game from '91? You can still play it in Windows XP with some know-how. Now that Vista has been released, many people have upgraded their systems and are possibly enjoying their old games on newer hardware. Some old games might have been barely playable back in the day but now a modern beefy rig can mock them all.

For example, back in the day, the Jurassic Park spinoff Tresspasser ran like ass on any system back in the day. But now, maybe you can get 100 FPS with a modern machine. Maybe now we can get a smooth online experience from C&C: Tiberium Sun. Was your Pentium 90 not up to snuff for Jedi Outcast? Can your new machine chew it up and spit it out now?

For me, my story of satisfaction was Baldur's Gate 2. I played the first one on my old Vaio PC...Pentium 2 at 400 MHz...integrated graphics. The game ran horribly even at the lowest resolutions and low quality sound and ashamedly I had to put it away for a few years until I bought a PC capable of playing it. Thanks to PC tech doubling again and again, any machine can play this game at max detail without breaking a sweat. I got the last laugh with Baldur's Gate 2 and that makes me a little happier.

emnmnme on

• Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tresspasser is glitchy garbage on any PC I run it on. Even going back to a 500MHz PIII Windows 98 machine and throwing in a GeForce 2 GTS-V (underclocked GTS) and trying a few different versions of Direct X. Modern drivers forgot this buggy crap.

CZroe on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    haha I remember having a crappy pc and playing TS online with the thunderstorms, would bring most machines to their knees, but it keep controll of the game in my favor with high turtling while they ran out of resources, and not having to build air defenses, as well as attacking right before radar came back, and the bonus of collateral damage to their units and bases. good times

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    half life. I didn't realize at the time that hardware acceleration was something you had to turn on so I played through the entire game with just software acceleration. Later I replayed it with hardware turned on. whooweee does that game look sharp!

Also, Deus Ex: IW loads a lot faster now.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Playing through half life 2 with a pentium four, integrated graphics and 512mb of RAM.

I found out later that what happened was technically impossible, seeing as half life 2 doesn't even support integrated graphics cards :shock:

I made mincemeat of it with my 6600GT, though.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    Playing through half life 2 with a pentium four, integrated graphics and 512mb of RAM.

I found out later that what happened was technically impossible, seeing as half life 2 doesn't even support integrated graphics cards :shock:

Thanks to APIs, like DirectX and OpenGL, they don't have to support them. They can require a card with specific hardware support for certain DirectX/OpenGL features for performance reasons.

These libraries specifically exist to make graphics work on non-specific cards. An unsupported feature is supposed to be done in software, though this is much harder to do now. I remember QuakeIII in software OpenGL when I tried to run it in Linux. :D

Anyway, I played through Half-Life 2 Episode One at a super-shitty frame rate because it was a new laptop and I didn't realize that it was defaulting to the slowest CPU speed even when I was plugged in (~900MHz instead of 2.66GHz on a Core Duo w/ 2GB DDR2). I was seriously underwhelmed by the ATI X1400 at that point! I kept checking in Catalyst to make sure that everything was set to maximum performance instead of "optimized" (for battery/rest). I beat the game and then it locked up on the Episode 2 teaser because the video was just too much for the CPU... it got WAY out of synch as the frames got jumpier and jumpier until the frames just froze, the audio stuttered, stopped, and after a ton of hard drive grinding, I was dumped back to the desktop. I was freaking out because I thought I'd have to beat the game again on a different computer to see it! I found it available for playback and noticed that it did this whenever I'd play the teaser.

Only then did I realize: If it's choking up on high-res video, it's a CPU bandwidth problem... NOT the ATI X1400. I didn't think to check it earlier because I remembered setting the CPU speed back on "maximum" before and I the setting just didn't stick. I have yet to play through it again proper, though I've put many video cards through an intro-play with the game. ;)

CZroe on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Iriah wrote: »

Hehe, same, except I was running a GF4 MX440 (by far, the shittiest card on the market at the time, barely better than an integrated card), and the real achilles heel: 256mb of RAM.

Load times for each section was a smooth 5-10 minutes. And you *KNOW* how many load screens there are for HL2.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can play Tribes 2 now!

WOOO.

august on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I played F-19 Stealth Fighter on my Windows XP rig It came out in 1988, for the 286XT systems that were available at the time. 16-color graphics, PC speaker sound, and it won't support any joysticks made in, oh, say, the last fifteen years. But it's still fun.

And I still play Sopwith 2 every now and then, which is an upgraded version of a game from the monochrome era.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still can't get Grim Fandango to run very well. It either has really glitchy sound, or really glitchy graphics, depending on the compatibility mode i run it in :(

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Remember when people complained about Sin's load times? I played that again recently. It loads almost instantaneously.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd like to see the source code for Dark Forces to surface.

We need a solid XP port like they did with Duke 3D, which, by the way, is better than its ever been.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unfortunately having a fast computer just makes Revenant run.. incredibly fast. You move at a lightning pace, but so do the monsters. Nothing seems to help except for programs that deliberately take up processor speed.

JAEF on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I still can't get Grim Fandango to run very well. It either has really glitchy sound, or really glitchy graphics, depending on the compatibility mode i run it in :(

It doesn't play well with XP. The dudes who work on SCUMMVM have a side-project called Residual just for Grim Fandango, but it's not really in active development. I think it's a hobby of a couple of the devs.

http://scummvm.org/subprojects.php

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have tried to run my copies of Sonic CD and Ecco the Dolphin with no success. :(

I tried a patch for Sonic, but apparantly I've got the early 16 bit version that the patch doesn't work on.

Ecco crashes right after the load screen. I have no problem running DOS programs, though. :D

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fucking Mafia is too weak on my Computer. I have such a high frame rate, it Vsync's like crazy and there is no option for that, especially since the game was made for DX8. It's also nice to get over 90 frames.

Oh! Btw: I reinstalled Sims1 and it was installed in record time, not to mention that the resolution is fucking tiny on my 1200x1024 17" display.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember when Deus Ex came out. All the reviewers were like, "The game is great, but good luck finding a PC to run it on". Good times, good times.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    didnt Deus Ex only support Glide?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    D3D after a patch, I think. Or it shipped with D3D support and the patch made it suck less.

august on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My friend used to play Everquest without a 3d accelerator, even though it was required. There were holes in the ground and the sky was always pink. The 3d character models had pixels missing from them too... but he played it like that anyway, for like 6 months. It was pretty dumb.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »
    D3D after a patch, I think. Or it shipped with D3D support and the patch made it suck less.

I had a TNT2 when it came out and either A) I had to run in software or B) it just looked really shitty in D3D or OGL (whichever it supported). It's been a long time so I dont remember for certain.

p.s. anyone remember the guy who got Doom 3 to run on a Voodoo 2?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Basticle wrote: »

I had a TNT2 when it came out and either A) I had to run in software or B) it just looked really shitty in D3D or OGL (whichever it supported). It's been a long time so I dont remember for certain.

p.s. anyone remember the guy who got Doom 3 to run on a Voodoo 2?

I remember when I wanted a Voodoo 2. Those were the days.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AVP2.

Diablo 2. Haha, I remember reading the IGN review of Lord of Destruction that took off points because "most computers will have trouble running the game at fullspeed due to the newly implemented 800x600 resolution".
    Lol.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I played Tiberian Sun originally on a 233Mhz PacBell with 32MB of RAM.

Needless to say, the first time I played it on my brand new 1.3GHz AMD Duron with 512MB RAM, the game went a lot faster

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Its like someone took a flashlight and taped it to the fucking walls.

Also, uglies.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Isn't it kind of impressive he got it running at all? I mean, it's a Voodoo 2.

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    voodoo 2 SLI

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    didnt Deus Ex only support Glide?

Unreal had this progression. Deus Ex = Unreal Engine.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    voodoo 2 SLI

i still associate SLI with voodoos

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I thought Deus Ex was made with the Quake 2 engine...Ion Storm and all that.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I guess its impressive, but to do so he took out everything that made doom 3 what it was. I mean, I don't think many people played it for the story.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

I guess its impressive, but to do so he took out everything that made doom 3 what it was. I mean, I don't think many people played it for the story.

I think you'd be impressed if someone got Mario Galaxy to run on an N64. :)

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

I think you'd be impressed if someone got Mario Galaxy to run on an N64. :)

As long as the game played the same and felt the same, yes.

I mean, if he could have found away to keep some kind of rudimentary lighting in place it would be a different story. But as is, that is not really the same game as Doom 3.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Nope.

august on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No, those were Anachronox and Daikatana.

ihd on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't wait for the day that Oblivion gets to be like this, where you can use both HDR and AA at the same time and still get 60fps on a 'budget' computer.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    I played F-19 Stealth Fighter on my Windows XP rig It came out in 1988, for the 286XT systems that were available at the time. 16-color graphics, PC speaker sound, and it won't support any joysticks made in, oh, say, the last fifteen years. But it's still fun.
    F-19 Stealth Fighter is one of the greatest flight sims ever made, period. I played it for years on my Atari ST, and still have it for PC (although the PC version isn't quite as good by virtue of the PC speaker-only sound). It's so awesome. It's like Splinter Cell in a plane.

I also bought Grand Prix 4, and the game barely ran on my 600MHz Celeron with 192MB RAM and a Voodoo3. It was sort-of playable if I turned off all effects and trackside objects. When I got my Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB and an admittedly integrated GeForce 6100, it was one of the first things I installed and it flies. That machine can also run Vampire: Bloodlines at a very good clip, although it nearly choked on the Prey demo (which I fully attribute to the 6100).

I got the Celeron because of one of these stories, too. I played UT on my wife (then girlfriend)'s K6-2 of unremembered speed (200MHz tops) and no 3D hardware whatsoever, in software mode at 400x300 and it was just about playable. I got the Cellie and stuck the Voodoo3 in it just for UT, really. It was completely awesome.

Now, the laptop I got a couple of weeks ago for $240 (1GHz Pentium IIIm, 256MB, ATi Mobility Radeon) runs UT better that that, and at a higher resolution! :lol:

Times do change, that's for sure.

P.S. The only DOS game I've never managed to get working at all under Windows is Strike Commander. Pretty sure that's impossible... unless DOSbox somehow pulls it off. Oh, and MechWarrior 2 is a pig as well, since I don't have the Win95 edition.

Jazz on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I think I still have the box for F-19! Played the heck out of it back in the day. I'm pretty certain it ran on older systems than 286 though. I think I used to play it on an 086.

The manual was sheer GOLD. Back in the day when they had huge manuals that gave you everything. It ran down stealth tactics, how to pull different manoeuvre's, weapon statistics, the whole deal.

Funny thing. During the time the game was made, the game lists Iraq as an allied country (This of course, during the days when it was seen as OK to let Saddam do his thing in the ME as long as he did it for us). Skip forward to the sequel game (F-117), and Iraq is now an enemy country. Gulf War and all that. Tends to sour a relationship. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Man, I think I still have the box for F-19! Played the heck out of it back in the day. I'm pretty certain it ran on older systems than 286 though. I think I used to play it on an 086.

The manual was sheer GOLD. Back in the day when they had huge manuals that gave you everything. It ran down stealth tactics, how to pull different manoeuvre's, weapon statistics, the whole deal.

Funny thing. During the time the game was made, the game lists Iraq as an allied country (This of course, during the days when it was seen as OK to let Saddam do his thing in the ME as long as he did it for us). Skip forward to the sequel game (F-117), and Iraq is now an enemy country. Gulf War and all that. Tends to sour a relationship. :mrgreen:
    MicroProse manuals then were amazing. I remember also the ones that came with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix (the series that begat the above-mentioned Gtand Prix 4) and MidWinter II were equally fantastic. I think I still have the F-19 and GP boxes/manuals, I definitely have MidWinter II still as it's one of my most prized PC games, along with my boxed complete Frontier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters - which both also had great manuals and short story anthologies with them. FE2 had a killer galaxy map poster, too.

Fantastic manuals and whatnot are seemingly a lost art, but that's a subject for another thread, methinks.

Kinda funny about Iraq, too, you're right. :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SimCity 3000. That game was stupidly slow on contemporary hardware when it first came out, and compensated for it in so many obvious ways, by taking forever to load all the building graphics and so forth. Nowadays a couple GHz make it as responsive as SC2K (though whether it's as good is another question entirely, though personally I never had a problem with it).

Actually, for me the biggest thing was Warcraft 3. I played through both that and the expansion on a 400 MHz G3 with 8 MB Rage 128. It was torture. When I finally built a fast PC, a huge part of my motivation was being able to play WC3. Lo and behold, once I can play it I discover that I really don't like the game very much any more. Now I can run it at 1440x900 with FSAA on my new laptop, and I just don't give a shit. (Of course it's horizontally stretched for game balance or something, which is incredibly lame. Particularly because there's no 4:3 resolution with a vertical height of 900 pixels so i can have the game look right, and still run at native.)

LoneIgadzra on